So how is this game ?

Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys, until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles.

Moderator: MOD_Armada2526

martok

RE: So how is this game ?

Post by martok »

Yeah, that's a weakness of races like the Hoon Yon and Qa-Qa Assembly (another favorite of mine):  Low growth rates can really hamper you!  Of course, that's one of the challenges I like in this game.  [:)] 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

It seems to me that a MP game on a huge system could take forever? Or mighty darn close.

The game is fun, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm still not sure how research works, but I'm getting there.

Just now reached the point where I can travel through wormholes, so I may start building/researching warships. I only have destroyer class ships presently and no weapon development to speak of.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I know you'll resist my evil temptation to mod xml in-game. If not, just be sure it's a generic ship of your own race. I assume you are playing SP.

<!-- Destroyer -->
<ShipType Name ="Destroyer" Level="1">
   <Construction Cost ="350" Time="3" Icon="Art\\Ships\\Production\\Destroyer-LV1.png"/>
   <Upkeep Amount="21"/>
   <Requirements>
     <Tech Item ="Destroyer"/>
   </Requirements>
   <StaticRequirements>
     <RequireEither>
       <Race Name="Human"/>
       <Race Name="Silq"/>
     </RequireEither>
   </StaticRequirements>
   <ReplacedBy Type ="Destroyer II"/>
   <Mesh Name="Ships\Meshes\Destroyer\Des-LV1-Hi.X" Maps ="EnvSpecularMap"/>
   <Mesh Name="Ships\Meshes\Destroyer\Des-LV1-Low.X" Distance ="3000" Maps ="EnvSpecularMap"/>
   <Texture Name="Ships\Meshes\Destroyer\Textures\Destroyer-LV1-Blue.dds" Use="Own"/>
   <Texture Name="Ships\Meshes\Destroyer\Textures\Destroyer-LV1-Red.dds" Use="Enemy"/>
   <Texture Name="Ships\Meshes\Destroyer\Textures\Destroyer-LV1-Green.dds" Use="Ally"/>
   <Texture Name="Ships\Meshes\Destroyer\Textures\Destroyer-LV1-Orange.dds" Use="EnemyAlly"/>
   <Texture Name="Ships\Meshes\Destroyer\Textures\Destroyer-LV1-Specular.dds" Use="All" Type="Specular"/>
   <Material Spec="25" Spec2="75"/>
   <BasicCombat Defence ="12" />
   <Weapon Type="Small Energy Beam" Vector ="2" Attack ="3" GroundAttack="3"/>
   <Weapon Type="Small Energy Beam" Vector ="7" Attack= "3" GroundAttack="3"/>
   <Weapon Type="Pulse Cannon" Vector ="1" Attack ="2" GroundAttack="0"/>
   <Weapon Type="Pulse Cannon" Vector ="8" Attack ="2" GroundAttack="0"/>
   <Weapon Type="Pulse Cannon" Vector ="3" Attack ="2" GroundAttack="0"/>
   <Weapon Type="Pulse Cannon" Vector ="6" Attack ="2" GroundAttack="0"/>
   <Weapon Type="Tracking Missile" Vector ="4" Attack ="30" GroundAttack="0"/>
   <Weapon Type="Tracking Missile" Vector ="5" Attack ="30" GroundAttack="0"/>
   <Tactical MaxSpeed="1200" Acceleration="300" TurnRate="180"/>
   <Movement Speed ="4"/>
   <Transport Capacity="0"/>
   <Graphics Icon="Art\Ships\Icons\Destroyer-LV1.png"  />
</ShipType>
<ShipType Name ="Destroyer II" Level="1">
   <Construction Cost ="350" Time="3" Icon="Art\\Ships\\Production\\Destroyer-LV2.png"/>
   <Upkeep Amount="21"/>
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Rosseau,

Pardon me for being dense (which I am), but what am I suppose to do with that spagehtti? Yes I'm playing SP (luckily I knew what SP stood for, I think).
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Some people consider modding "cheating," which is fine with me. It can also ruin a tense, balanced game. Go to Armada/XML/and open up ShipTypes, preferrably with Notepad++ (free and worthwhile to download). Back up the file first. You'll notice most races have their own generic corvettes, destroyers, etc., and some specific to their race. Change the generic ones for the race you are playing. After all, you don't want to buff your enemy's ship. I don't know what race you're playing be search for it and improve the attributes of your ship(s).

What I like is you can then undo your buffs after a few turns and put old file back in. "Factions" is another interesting file to mess with to add extra ships or make the AI a lot tougher.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Thanks for the explanation Rosseau. I think Martok and I will be starting a PBEM campaign here real soon.

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

The MP part of the game seems pretty smooth so far. The only down side would be that it will take a LONG time to finish.
martok

Post by martok »

^&nbsp; Of course, that also depends a lot on how good your fellow player is at getting off his dumb ass and checking for new turns....&nbsp;&nbsp;[:'(]&nbsp;

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

^Pretty funny!
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

This afternoon this game gave me one of the two finest moments I have enjoyed in a long history of gaming. The one I compare it to came in "Third Reich", the board game from Avalon Hill!

I was playing as the Klurgu, and far behind all the other races, but I was nibbling away at them, and confident. The "trees" were hugely in the lead, with a huge number of colonies and ships, and I had just stolen one of their colonies. Tugging at the lion's tail but feeling good about it. Suddenly the skies over three important colonies, including Ploor, were darkened with over a hundred Walden Forest ships. I was shocked!

I think all the ships were fast movers, perhaps ten were not. I had no defenses, and no ships anywhere near, but they did not attack. They hovered over my cities, and asked me for some tech. I got away with a very respectful "No".

Over the next six or eight turns I pulled together a counter force at two of the colonies. This period of tension was just a wonderful moment in gaming.

Buy the game. If you are lucky you will have a moment like this.

Chuck
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

Great report!
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

game is alright, wish they would expand on this game with patch upgrades instead of expansions which cost more money....
martok

Post by martok »

Have you updated to 1.4?&nbsp; Or any of the patches at all?&nbsp; There's been quite a bit of content added in the various udpates&nbsp;since Supernova was released.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;

Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

I also had an exciting moment the other day. My mother-in-law said she would visit her daughter (my house!) and the grandkids and would actually stay with us for the whole week. Then she called and said that she is planning on visiting her second daughter. Heard that poor husband of hers tried to kill himself as he was 'presented' with the news. [;)]

cpdeyoung is right, of course. This game, indeed, bring many exciting moments and I'd advise any self-respecting 4x strategy gamer to go and purchase the thing together with the expansion. It's worth it.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

ORIGINAL: martok

Have you updated to 1.4?  Or any of the patches at all?  There's been quite a bit of content added in the various udpates since Supernova was released. 

I do have the latest patch and it is ok. haven't played this game in months until just this past weekend but i still do not have the expansions, just cannot see it being worth the money.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

To some extent, it takes time to discover all this stuff, and I have not put the time into it yet. But yes, so much better than the original release all around.
martok

Post by martok »

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

I do have the latest patch and it is ok. haven't played this game in months until just this past weekend but i still do not have the expansions, just cannot see it being worth the money.

To each his own. Personally, I find Supernova improves the original game so much that I honestly can't imagine playing without it now (and I know that's the case for lots of other folks as well), but obviously everyone's mileage will vary.

Something to also consider is that you could probably pick up the expansion for pretty cheap on other sites. (Sorry Matrix, but your prices are more expensive!) I know GamersGate sells it for $9.95, for instance...and at that price, I really do feel you would find it to be worth the money. Just my two cents (no pun intended!).

Byeohazard

Post by Byeohazard »

Enjoying this game alot. It reminds me of Moo2 in some ways, is pretty easy to sink your teeth into (dont understand everything but concepts are comming fairly quickly.... I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed). I like the "feel and pace of the game...it gives me a chance to view the landscape, think and execute without feeling hectic. Music is subjective but I like it. Im very happy with the game thus far although I have not experienced much with the real time battles..from what I have seen with the battles so far it is evedent that It will take some getting use to. I know with the Total War games I enjoyed the build up and strategic map more than the battles...might be the same with this game.
currently playing: Panzer Corps
learning Distant Worlds
martok

Post by martok »

Ah, another convert. [;)]

Sounds like your experience with Armada so far has largely mirrored my own. I think that the game being relatively easy to learn how to play (but without sacrificing depth) is one of its greatest strengths.

ORIGINAL: Byeohazard

Im very happy with the game thus far although I have not experienced much with the real time battles..from what I have seen with the battles so far it is evedent that It will take some getting use to. I know with the Total War games I enjoyed the build up and strategic map more than the battles...might be the same with this game.

Unfortunately, you may very well find the battles a little disappointing. It's probably the game's single biggest weakness, at least among the majority of players out there. It's good in concept, but doesn't work out so well in execution.

Return to “Armada 2526 Series”