Two of them?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Blueberry

Two of them?

Post by Blueberry »

I've been playing since the original game and have never ever encountered two world destroyers in a single game. It has always been a single ship found to be repaired and deployed. Granted, this is my very first time playing as bugs... am I missing something? Has it been the case of me being unlucky and discovering only one in all of my gaming all this time? Star systems where both projects have been discovered are actually quite close to each other.

Another question about super laser.... If I am not mistaken, in DW ROTS installing the super laser found as a separate tech on a planet with ruins on a ship would not necessarily create a world destroyer. The player would end up with creating a ship that could deliver massive volumes of damage but not destroy the planets. I remember experimenting with the concept but not sure if I am right on this one. Has anything changed in Legends? thanks.
ehsumrell1

RE: Two of them?

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Blueberry;

I can assure you that there are two World Destroyers probable in every game. One will be
called 'World Destroyer', the other will be named 'Desolation Moon'. I have had 80% or
more of my games (testing and playing) with two of them. I'm betting that your explorer
ships have only been finding one.

Concerning the Super Laser, a ship with the super laser could have the power to blast a planet
as long as its reactor power requirement is met. I've noticed though that outside of a World
Destroyer chassis, its accuracy is not high and misses often. The Death Ray is a different
story though. [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Astax

Post by Astax »

S.R. Hadden: First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

ORIGINAL: Astax

S.R. Hadden: First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

Great movie, great quote!
Theluin

Post by Theluin »

I usually have 3 in my games. The World Destroyer, the Desolation Moon and the Devastation Moon. You probably found only one in your games up to now because the AI really likes to sabotage constructors that are repairing them. 
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Another reason you may not have found the other moons, is I believe if you trade maps with the AI powers, it shows the planetary bodies, but battle moon sites and debris fields still need to be discovered by your ships.

So unless you enter the system, you’ll never see them. And since the system is now considered mapped, your explorers never go there unless they enter by chance to refuel or something. I’m not 100% sure about this though.

Jim
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

you find 3 in the largest star settings, i am pretty sure its based on star count
Howard Mitchell

Post by Howard Mitchell »

I've come across three as well. 15x15 map with 1,400 stars.

I think Jim D. is right as well.
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

That makes perfect sense, Jim.

I suppose the map setup/size and playing style may also be the key factors in this particular case of mine. Thanks for the replies. I also have another question and would prefer to ask the community without having to create a new post. [:)]

The original game had a certain limited number of fleets that a player could create. I was playing a game without the latest patches. What's the limit in Legends if, of course, there is any? Never had to actually form more than 15 fleets but it's always good to know. I'd check this on my own but all I have right now is my sister's pink laptop with flowers stamped all over it and the memory of a calculator. [:@]
Jerkface

Post by Jerkface »

I can confirm Jims observation.  In fact next game I will never get an AI's galaxy map.  Very frustrating.
iski19

Post by iski19 »

So is getting the AI's galaxy map a bug? or just another reason not to use automation?  lol  sorry if this is a noob question 
Theluin

Post by Theluin »

It's not a bug. It's just that if your explorers checked every system which map you already bought again and again in a game with original story line turned off (which IMO is better and doesn't unbalance the game) that would be more frustrating to a player who wouldn't get those shiny new worlds than losing a few advanced ships (which you can outdesign at tech 2) But that's just my opinion [:)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”