Changing combat alarm sound effect - Semi Resolved

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

05Angels

Changing combat alarm sound effect - Semi Resolved

Post by 05Angels »

Hello all,

First let me say I have been playing Distant Worlds since Shakturi launched and love the game. I currently have Legends and have a question on modding the glaring klaxon sound when under attack.
I have found a few Wav files that be a good replacement, however, when putting them in the correct folder and renaming them message_Alarm as per the original, I get no sound when being attacked. Now, while no sound is better then the "rub ground glass in my eyes and run into traffic" original sound, I still prefer something. Anyone tell me why my inserted sounds aren't working?
Additionally, I can't give enough thanks to the hard working modders in this community and helpful people in general. I have a large Matrix games collection and am always cheered on by the upbeat and helpful peeps (mostly) across all these games. I am experienced in inserting modded files (or so I thought), what is the magic piece of the puzzle I am missing?
tjhkkr

RE: Changing combat alarm sound effect

Post by tjhkkr »

Try the obvious things: misspelling the file name; make sure the file is a .wav file. Make sure there are no spaces in the file name. Simple stuff like that. It could also be the file you want to use is corrupted. Double check that as well.
You may have already done these things, but I would definately double check.
That looks like the right file name SANS .wav.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
05Angels

Post by 05Angels »

Thanks TJ

I have seen where my problem lies finally. Although my sound file icon displays as a .wav, under properties it's listed as a mp3. I have simply used a different file that is listed as a .wav in it's properties in addition to the icon and all is well. I can't use my original choice, but the new one is a tie fighter swooping by, can it get any better really?
MisterBenn

Post by MisterBenn »

Not wanting to talk you out of the tie fighter sound, but Baleur's fluff mod in the mod section replaces that klaxon sound (I agree the original really is a shocker during war time!) and it's an alert sound in a similar style to the default but much easier to live with. You might like to check that out as well.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: 05angels
I have seen where my problem lies finally. Although my sound file icon displays as a .wav, under properties it's listed as a mp3.

Good, I am glad it is resolved...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Deggial

Post by Deggial »

While it's not so hard finding nice wav files nowadays, it might be even easier having a link right here. I found this sound file at freesound.org. Playing DW is *so* relaxing, since then...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57824474/message_Alarm.wav

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”