Modding Smaller Scenarios using DaBabes

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

henry1611

Modding Smaller Scenarios using DaBabes

Post by henry1611 »

[Edit: Please speak up and show your interest. Given Matt's notes below, it looks to be great.]

I have enthusiastically followed the evolution of BabesLite and DBB from afar.

However, as I play the smaller scenarios, I have not been able to benefit from the awesome Babes improvements except for some minor modding I did using the ASW Changelog posted by JWE some time ago. (I saw immediate improvement in the Downfall scenario I was playing.)

I’d like to incorporate the rest of the Babe’s improvements into the smaller scenarios.

The problem is that, other than the ASW Changelog, I have no idea what other changes have been made by the Babes team. So, the only way I can think of getting the Babes improvements into the smaller scenarios is to copy/paste all of the database entries from the Babes scenario into the database for the other scenario saved to a new slot. I have two questions. (Actually, I have a bunch of questions but these are a good start.)

1. What database entries can I change without breaking the scenario itself?

If I use WITPLoad to copy/paste the “Devices,” “Ship Classes,” “Ships,” etc. entries in their entirety from Babes into the “Devices,” “Ship Classes,” “Ships,” etc. entries for the Guadalcanal scenario will I get the Babes database and the Guadalcanal scenario or will I just end up with a borked Guadalcanal scenario?

One potential problem is that the database ID numbers between Babes and the other scenario don’t match up. (Actually, I think that is what stopped me from trying this once before.)

2. What database entries should I copy from Babes?

I am pretty sure I need to copy the “Devices,” “Ship Classes” and “Ships” entries. Any others? (I haven’t seen anything to indicate that Babes addresses the “Aircraft” or “Air Groups” entries.)

One problem with copying the “Devices” entries in their entirety is that, in Babes, “LCU TO&Es and OOBs are highly modified, for both sides.” I would think that would screw up the design of the smaller scenario, no? Perhaps I should use the “Devices” from BabesLite as I understand from the Babes website that BabesLite does not have the LCU changes.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’d be happy to make the modified smaller scenarios available, assuming JWE does not object and I don’t screw it up.
US87891

RE: Modding Smaller Scenarios using DaBabes

Post by US87891 »

JWE would not object. Nor would anyone else in the group. We would all support the effort.

There are issues with the small scenarios. Scenarios 003, 004, 005 (Coral Sea, Guadalcanal, 1,000 Mile War) were designed by many different people using the original Witp database. This was long before the scenario data layout became somewhat standard, and long before WiTPAE game release. These scenarios are completely different from all the others and cannot be updated without a total change to almost every data file.

The campaign scenarios and small scenarios 011, 012, 013, 014 (Marianas, Marianas HI, Buccaneer, Downfall) use the WiTPAE layout for the data files and can be modded to BabesLite standards. I think it is practical to make a BabesLite version of AndyMac's scenario 002 and 008 (Hakko Ichiu, and its Quiet China analog). I mentioned this to JWE and he thinks it is a good idea.

For smaller scenarios, JWE was working on an updated Guadalcanal scenario for the group's use. I will check if that is worth doing into a release scenario that replaces 004. I am not certain, but from the cybernotes zipping past, the LCU layout may not be too far off and could be adjusted so the AI 004 data files work.

While doing this, will also compile John's notes into a document form. If I can get him to agree, it will include the math and background calculations for his tweaks. An AE Modders Vade Mecum, as it were. So stay tuned.

Matt
henry1611

Post by henry1611 »

Thanks Matt. I look forward to hearing more on the subject, especially about the possibility of an updated Guadalcanal scenario that replaces 004. Let me know if I can assist in the process.

If pointed in the right direction, I'd be happy to take a stab at modding some of the other small scenarios that can be modded to the BabesLite standard.
ORIGINAL: US87891

There are issues with the small scenarios. Scenarios 003, 004, 005 (Coral Sea, Guadalcanal, 1,000 Mile War) were designed by many different people using the original Witp database. This was long before the scenario data layout became somewhat standard, and long before WiTPAE game release. These scenarios are completely different from all the others and cannot be updated without a total change to almost every data file.
This may explain why I was completely confused when trying to compare the "Devices" in Babes to the "Devices" in Scenario 004.

Standing by,

Henry
US87891

Post by US87891 »

We have a good Guadalcanal scenario coming using Babes Class, Ship, Device files. It will be an analog of stock Scen 004 and will use the same AI files. Can be played against the AI by either side.

The map is extended slightly Eastward to capture the Marshalls, because this area was within the purview of 4th Fleet and 6th Base Force. There are modifications to LCU files, but slot numbers don't change, so nothing that will effect the AI. Japanese Base Force units have become Naval HQs, as they were, and CD, AA, Inf, Eng, units are assigned to them, as are SC, PB, AMC ship units. A Base Force is now a collection of land/sea/air pieces that can be shuffled around (except for static units) as actually happened.

As much as possible, the actual ships, in their actual classes, have been represented in their actual starting locations and under actual command, as of August 1, 1942. The game starts on August 6, so we hope our efforts won't be subject to too many particularist complaints.

Japan is basically finished. John is polishing the Allies. Should be on the website in a 2-3 days.

Matt
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

DaBabes Guadalcanal with extended map is excellent news Matt. Time frame is similar as stock Guadalcanal (6 August 1942 - 3 April 1943)?
henry1611

Post by henry1611 »

Great! Really looking forward to a Babes Guadalcanal.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

ORIGINAL: mikkey
DaBabes Guadalcanal with extended map is excellent news Matt. Time frame is similar as stock Guadalcanal (6 August 1942 - 3 April 1943)?
The Guadalcanal scenario uses a small piece of the main map, so it can be played with whatever map you have installed (stock or extended, there is no difference). The time frame is the same as Nikademus made it. The scenario number will be Scen034 and will use the Scen004 AI files and can be played against the AI by both sides.

The scenario map has been pushed out to the East and now includes the Marshalls. This was done to avoid the ordinary, everyday, New Guinea, New Caledonia, SE Australia expansion routes. Allies will have a sensitive Japanese flank open to counterattack in the East if Japan goes whole hog in the West. Also helps to spread out the area of coverage of the rump of the KB. In the absence of withdrawal mechanisms in the smaller scenarios, why not give your Striking Force a conundrum?

[ed] Also pushed the map a bit South to pick up the Allied staging areas in NZ North Island (Wellington, Aukland, etc..). Only North Island bases are active for the scenario, and no NZ units are included in the game.

Matt
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Got a cheat sheet from John, looking at all the different DDs and who went where and when. I am doing the land unit movements and the availability of transport ships and transportable units, in the right place, is very important. JWE makes the TFs and I load them.

Part of his cheat sheet is the disposition of DDs during the Guadalcanal campaign. They are divided into their corresponding DesRons and DesDivs and enter the game in dedicated TFs. Sharp, historical, players will see exactly how they are organized and pay some attention to HQ assignments. The cheat sheet is to allow historical players to keep like-with-like and use them how they were intended. Here's a sample.

Attachments
DDorg.jpg
DDorg.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 164 times
packerpete

Post by packerpete »

Is this the only small scenario that is being looked at?? I am drooling now. Thanks.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Lookin at Christian's (Terminus') Thousand Mile War. But need to finish up Guadalcanal first. It takes time to do these things right and Mathias is the man to get 'er done. Patience is its own reward.

Ciao. John
packerpete

Post by packerpete »

Thank you all for the effort. I really do appreciate it. Quick question, are the camera devices on the F4F-3P going to be activated and are the F4F-7 incorporated?
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Working through the land LCUs it is apparent that this was a regimental level conflict. Both Allies and Japanese are being restructured into a regimental level unit basis.

For example, the MarDiv has a DivHQ, 3x Inf Rgts, an Arty Rgt, broken down into a 105 Bn and 3x 75 Bns, an AmphTrac, Pioneer, SpecWeaps (AA), and Lt Tank Bn. And, of course, a Para Bn. Similar things are done for the US Army divisions, and for the Japanese.

Since Guadalcanal is a 2 hex island, and there will be a large number of units in each hex, it is incumbent on the player to rotate units (of both sides) through combat, reserve, resting postures.

A significant feature of the campaign, on the Allied side, is the steady decline in operational effectiveness of units and their replacement by reserves. This is modeled by compelling withdrawal of those units that did, indeed, withdraw.

It becomes palatable and necessary (for both sides) by a judicious allocation of % Support. Allies get less than necessary, so they will degrade through fatigue, disruption, and disablement. Japanese get much less, so their fatigue, disruption, disablement degradation slope is steeper.

Even the fatigued, disabled, and dying, eat supply, so when transporting, or fast transporting, supply/reinforcements in, might be worthwhile evacuating the dross out.

HQ support scale (and restriction) is very carefully calculated so that the first 2-3 months, of the 8 month scenario, are highly constrained. After that, things open up and possibilities present themselves.

Matt
US87891

Post by US87891 »

We have a special map modification that we use for the Solomons. Slight displacements of Guadalcanal and Bougainville Islands allow Guadalcanal to span 3 hexes, Tassafaronga in the NW, Lunga in the center, and Taivu in the SE; the SE tip of Bougainville is expanded to span 2 hexes, Buin on the SE tip of Bougainville, and Shortlands right next door. It does tend to make things a little more interesting during the opening moves of 1942.

The Scen004 AI does not recognize these new bases, so this map mod will not work with respect to the AI, for a mod based on Scen004.

Very hard to decide what to do, here. John is working with Andrew to get the Solomons map/base mods incorporated into the Std Ext Map. But as it sits today, our map just isn’t compatible with a stock Scen. If our Solomons mods get incorporated, hopefully, some smart modder will adapt our Scen034 to the new bases. Once the initial unit placement research is done, it will not take much more effort.

Matt
henry1611

Post by henry1611 »

Your first post today on this topic had me drooling with all of the detail you guys are working into this.

The Scen004 AI does not recognize these new bases, so this map mod will not work with respect to the AI, for a mod based on Scen004.

This post had me crying. I am one of those who, due to time constraints, has to play against the AI. Will there be no way to play Babes Scen034 against the Japanese AI? Perhaps, without the Solomons map mod?

If not, does the following mean that there is hope that Babes Scen034 can be modded such that it can be played against Japanese AI?

If our Solomons mods get incorporated, hopefully, some smart modder will adapt our Scen034 to the new bases.

I may not be a smart modder, but I will give it a shot if that is what it takes to make this playable against the AI.

Thanks for your work on the scenario either way.

Henry
US87891

Post by US87891 »

ORIGINAL: henry1611
This post had me crying. I am one of those who, due to time constraints, has to play against the AI. Will there be no way to play Babes Scen034 against the Japanese AI? Perhaps, without the Solomons map mod?

If not, does the following mean that there is hope that Babes Scen034 can be modded such that it can be played against Japanese AI?
The Babes Scen034 scenario will be playable against the AI (both sides) just like stock Scen004. Nothing to cry or worry about. It will work just like the stock Scen, with the stock AI, and the stock exe.

The map and other special tweaks are for Babes people; nothing for Matrix forum people to concern themselves about.

Matt
henry1611

Post by henry1611 »

Nothing to cry or worry about.

Please forgive the hyperbole. I just did not want to miss out.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

We have a good Guadalcanal scenario coming using Babes Class, Ship, Device files. It will be an analog of stock Scen 004 and will use the same AI files. Can be played against the AI by either side.

The map is extended slightly Eastward to capture the Marshalls, because this area was within the purview of 4th Fleet and 6th Base Force. There are modifications to LCU files, but slot numbers don't change, so nothing that will effect the AI. Japanese Base Force units have become Naval HQs, as they were, and CD, AA, Inf, Eng, units are assigned to them, as are SC, PB, AMC ship units. A Base Force is now a collection of land/sea/air pieces that can be shuffled around (except for static units) as actually happened.

As much as possible, the actual ships, in their actual classes, have been represented in their actual starting locations and under actual command, as of August 1, 1942. The game starts on August 6, so we hope our efforts won't be subject to too many particularist complaints.

Japan is basically finished. John is polishing the Allies. Should be on the website in a 2-3 days.

Matt

US87891, JWE -

What a thrill to read about your upcoming Guad release! I am so pleased that the Babes Team is alive and well - and hard at it.

These smaller scenarios are not only fun to play over a weekend, but are also an opportunity for our fellow AE players to take on a Babes scenario and experience the awesome level of authenticity, realism and unique approaches TM Babes that are so addictive once one has had a taste of the Real Deal.

henry1611 - I very much appreciate your inquisitiveness, this thread has made my day!

And to the Babes Team: Keep on it Gents! Your audience awaits!

Loyalist Mac
LAV-25 2147
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Thank you, Mr Linehan.

The scenario is on track but John keeps throwing curve balls. So far everything still tests out with the AI. Should be interresting.

Would not worry about the map. Should not have said anything about it. It just makes people worry. But having done so, the map thing is a special modification that is used in CPX games where units are cut down to regimental/battalion level. Because it will not work for Matrix style games without rewriting everything, it is not part of the new Guad scenario.

Matt
US87891

Post by US87891 »

But now John threw a fast ball right down the middle. In a small scenario like this, every unit and unit slot is important for the AI. However, we have added and changed a few things, thereby going out of scope with the AI scripts. John looked at the Scen004 AI files and found they are not that hard to modify. Just requires a match-and-replace for units, TFs, ships.

The new marching orders are to make this scenario as grainy and realistic as humanly possible and John will deal with Mr AI.

Because we aren't limited by slots anymore, the Scen034 will get done to BigBabes standards; BigBabes Devices, TO&Es, and everything. It will take a few more days than expected, and then John has to adapt the AI to the scenario. This will be the first, fully AI capable, BigBabes scenario. I am excited about seeing this come to fruition. There is a lot of work going on in many different areas, so your patience is appreciated and will be rewarded.

Please bear with us. Matt
US87891

Post by US87891 »

The latest. John's white paper for the Allied side.

Guadalcanal scenario – BigBabes – Allied Notes

HQ Units

The HQ situation is changed. HQs no longer provide huge amounts of support. They are now the commander, the staff, and an extremely limited number of support elements. HQs now provide game-type force multipliers and operational restrictions and nothing more.

There is Australia Command. Under this is Aus 1st Army(R) and RAAF Command(R). Each of these has unrestricted subordinate units. All ground and air units will fall under one of these and may, themselves, be restricted or unrestricted.

Australian 1st Army was charged with defense of Queensland and northern New South Wales (i.e., serendipitously, the Aus map area). Aus 1st Army is a restricted HQ. CMF brigades in 1st Army area are assigned to 1st Army and are flagged as individually restricted units. They cannot go anywhere except (on-map) continental Australia. They cannot be purchased out.

Those CMF brigades that qualified for ‘overseas’ service also belong to 1st Army, but are not additionally restricted so these units may be purchased out to an unrestricted HQ (Aus 1st Corps, Milne Force, SWPac, etc.) in order to be loaded on transports to New Guinea, or wherever.

Combat Units

Since this campaign period was at the regiment/brigade level, units may no longer recombine into 900lb division gorillas. The largest unit allowed is the regiment/brigade as that is how they were deployed. Some (few) divisions have a DivHQ – very little support, but a good commander as a force multiplier. Divisions/brigades can be assigned thereto, willy-nilly, as was done.

Regiments/brigades are at their authorized TO&Es. Everything else is stripped out except for an allocation of the divisional engineers and an allocation of the MG Bn for certain Aus/NZ units. Artillery is in separate Bns.

Base Forces

There are a very few (static) Allied Base Forces. They are primarily support units and are minimally capable and depend on combat units for defense. There are no Base Forces for any conquered bases. Conquered bases need to be populated/developed by air base sqdns/engineers/naval port bns/air and port maintenance bns. Any Base Forces that came into being in these locations, did so long after the scenario time period.

Air squadrons have a corresponding base sqdn. The base sqdn will have a bit less AvSup than the air sqdn has planes. One must position a base sqdn in order for the air sqdn to function. There are no other sources of AvSup except way back in the rear areas. There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. It’s supposed to hurt.

Japanese base forces are slightly different. They are also marginally capable and depend on attached NavGuard, CD, Sub-base, NAG units, but they are (static) naval HQs. Japanese air is just like Allied air; sqdn units, but with smaller % of AvSup per plane than equivalent Allied units. Japanese HQs have a smaller % of support than equivalent Allied HQs.

Support (of any kind) is at a premium. Combat/Air units do not have enough, and the Japanese have even less. Deploying all your assets will cause them all to deplete to nothing very quickly. One must be very judicious about rotating troops/planes in and out of action and in and out of the front lines. The (static) rear areas are the only places with the support necessary to recover fatigue/disruption.

Ships

Problem with small scenario ships is once they are in-game, they can’t be withdrawn. Answer is to severely limit what is there. There are an actual number of Aus/Dutch ships available. A player will immediately see which are the most valuable and do their best to conserve them and utilize them properly.

There are a few US APs and AKs that did stay in theater and were used to move US troops from Fiji, Samoa, NZ, to the combat area. Therefore, US Army forces appear in Fiji, Tonga, NZ, in order to force the player to use these vessels to hump troops. There are very few US cargo ships in theater. Fiji/Tonga get “convoys” of supply/fuel and the US cargo vessels in the area are sufficient only to move beans and gas from Fiji/Tonga to Noumea/Espiritu Santo.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”