Better Graphics

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

sztartur2

RE: Better Graphics

Post by sztartur2 »

I believe the improving 3D graphics would do very good to this game. I mean for both units (Panzer Corps graphics could be used ) and terrain. For terrain the mod JTCS meets PG3D (Please overlook dunmorix manners he has done an excellent job) was a good example how to do it right. I would love to have them in vanilla CS.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
Atle

Post by Atle »

ORIGINAL: sztartur

I believe the improving 3D graphics would do very good to this game. I mean for both units (Panzer Corps graphics could be used ) and terrain. For terrain the mod JTCS meets PG3D (Please overlook dunmorix manners he has done an excellent job) was a good example how to do it right. I would love to have them in vanilla CS.

Please, please, please, let the Campaign Series be the Campaign Series and nothing else. Stop requesting it to be made into Panzer General or some other game it is not. I absolutely hate the PG graphics, and will not have the Campaign Series turned into that.

Keep on the good work Jason & co [:)]
sztartur2

Post by sztartur2 »

I was requesting a graphics update not a change in the rules at any point. Why did that mean changing to Panzer General for you?
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: sztartur
I was requesting a graphics update not a change in the rules at any point. Why did that mean changing to Panzer General for you?

I agree with Atle.
Panzer Corps is a hybrid of CS and PG 3-D. The 3-D in PG was awful and the combination with CS is like a Frankenstein monster. It would ruin CS in a lot of player's opinions?

If you like the Panzer Corps graphics then play Panzer Corps? [;)]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Huib

Post by Huib »

Oh yes. In in non urban areas I'd like to see foxholes instead of sandbags after a unit dug in.

Huib
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

What would foxholes look like?
Could we discern them as we can trenches?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being argumentative in this case, it makes sense to have something like that. But, what could they look like?

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

We could replace the graphic, I did that for SPWAW, little holes in the ground with dirt piled around, would be nice to have the program use foxholes in open, sandbags in urban though!

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Mike, I do not own SPWAW. What does the graphic look like? Can you post a pic from SPWAW?
I think it would be a great addition.

RR

Ashcloud

Post by Ashcloud »

Hi RR,

You can download it for free from matrix.

Regards,
Ashley
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Thanks Ash.
I'll pass. I'd only be downloading it to look at hex that has a foxhole! [8|]
My time is exclusively CS. At least all my spare time!

RR
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hey RR,

Here is a very quick rendition I did, just to show you what it would be like, mind you this was done in like 30 seconds, it wouldn't look this jive finished!!

Attachments
Foxholes.jpg
Foxholes.jpg (96.28 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Cool mike!
Once again, kudos from me! [&o]
You guys really know how to go to the next level to improve the game.
I wish I had the ability and/or the talent! [8|]

I guess only infantry would benefit? Though, tanks can be hull down?
I wonder how long it would take to dig in? [:)]

Thanks!
RR
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

If it is made to work like Improved potions but in open ground then tanks would benefit too maybe a small U shaped earthwork graphic on each side with slip trenches like mike has show around them. It might need something more distinct to show up in woodland or rough ground though.

Also Improved positions as they stand are always spotted I seem to recall, would some small earthworks show as easily they would be much harder to spot I think.?

Digging in would have to use the same chance and time rules as filling lots of sandbags and stacking them. Quite a feat in 6 mins I would agree but it's very rarely happens first turn and would depend on immediately local available supplies, ground conditions and how motivated you were.[;)]
"Personal isn't the same as important"
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

LOL! I'm used to the time for improved positions. [;)]
I do like the idea of the "U" shape for dug in tanks. Can that be done Mike? Mix the "U"s around the fox holes?
We'll need to code the terrain similar to IP's?

RR
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Huib

Can anyone post an example of TOAW 2d representation? I'm curious.

Huib

Lots of map mods available to TOAW - naturally I picked the one resembling board games the most:

TOAW seems to be able to support bitmaps and PNG files simultaneously. For an example the above example is with bitmap map elements with PNG unit counters.

I am quite happy about the JTCS 3D view, but do not really use the 2D at all due to limits of the details available. A PNG 2D view would be awesome...
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Huib

Post by Huib »

On another (non graphical) note. Trenches seem to block LOS in CS, which is totally ridiculous.

Huib
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Vanilla TOAW with visible hexes, for comparison.

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
osiris_slith

Post by osiris_slith »

Hi Jason

How about the 3d unit icon graphics being used by Panzer Corp? They seem to be crisp and clean. Would be nice know if those graphics would be compatible with JTCS.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/420 ... mpaign.'42

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/399 ... nzer.Corps.

rene
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Panzer Corp is a drop in the bucket compared to the graphics necessary to replace all of the existing graphics.

Jason Petho
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”