End of AAR 76mm welcome

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Flaviusx

RE: Summer 43

Post by Flaviusx »

Why does he persist in these airbase attacks? His losses are horrific.

WitE Alpha Tester
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Why does he persist in these airbase attacks? His losses are horrific.

Although I am not 100% sure but I think his thinking is that he takes huge losses in the air to air war and might as well pick on my airbases to kill "something".

I must point out the ratio gets skewed when I do not fly GS during his phase. It seems to not matter if I fly it or not as far as ground results go so I have chosen to hold back and use GS only when I attack. This seems to help more then wasting bombers on defense. My fighters tear him up during his phase which will hopefully keep my locally viable in the air war into 1944.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

He could get better results if he let his guys get experience and fly other missions forcing you to intercept. (And incurring operational/flak losses, too.)

But with the kind of losses he's taking the Red Air force will be perpetually green.

Soviet production can cover this bull headed air strategy he insists on prosecuting, sure, but it's not at all efficient.
WitE Alpha Tester
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

Edit: Sorry, forgot I was looking at the report from the German side where all Soviets are white.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Kharkov. Real surprise here I thought it would hold a few turns with level 4 forts in a big city. He did hit it with 300,000 men however!

But he only won because you failed a die roll reducing your CV by 1/3rd and he succeeded in almost quadrupling his.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

The losses for taking out a city with a level 4 fort and attacking with 300,000 men is really a reflextion of whats wrong with the game.

Katza with these very sad lose ratio's he will never ware down. The game is not even 1/2 over and he is bleeding you dry very quickly. If the lose ratio was historical he would have to stop at some point, but because they are 1/2 of historical he can just grind you to dust.

tm.asp?m=2992194

Hes getting at least 120,000 men per turn so his OOB from here on out will only grow and your start dropping very fast.

The September 1st turn will clearly show how quickly you will break and IF his forses are growing for shrinking.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Holiday slow down in the game but I got a turn back last night. I have to ponder the situation a bit as his relentless corps attacks are hammering away with no slowing down. He has been pounding a large section of the line since the first snows flew in fall of 1942 and the only thing slowing his relentless one hex grind forward is the mud turns. Is this good or bad? Who knows....

OOB turn 108. My strength is starting to drop a little as his continues to slowly rise. When exactly do the Soviet manpower decreases begin?

My best Generals are still running the army groups. Luckily no mishaps yet!

Attachments
76mmturn108oob.jpg
76mmturn108oob.jpg (88.23 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Top 35 infantry divisions. All are above 9 CV.

Attachments
76mmturn108top35.jpg
76mmturn108top35.jpg (140.18 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Panzer divisions

Attachments
76mmturn..panzers.jpg
76mmturn..panzers.jpg (131.45 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Part of the 3rd Panzer goals were to shake things up a bit so as to release the Finns to get back over the "morale" line. Most Finns are in the 70s morale wise and this turn a bunch of replacement Finn battalions were disbanded and several divisions rebuilt. The reorg was finished this turn with the SS divisions still covering the area until they withdraw. Local attacks were made and the lines reshuffled. The black lines are hopefully where the front will be in January 1944.

This does not seem to be a high priority area when it comes down to the final win or draw conclusion. I plan on keeping enough strength here to make progress tough for him unless he commits a lot of force.

Attachments
76mmturn108finns.jpg
76mmturn108finns.jpg (141.05 KiB) Viewed 38 times
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

But he only won because you failed a die roll reducing your CV by 1/3rd and he succeeded in almost quadrupling his.

At this stage of the war it is more likely that the 6k guns in the attack caused enough disruption to reduce CVs by 30-50%. In my 1943 campaign tests, Axis CVs rarely doubled, I was lucky if I got a 1.5x increase out of my best generals. My tests were done when the SU could also bring several hundred aircraft to the party, this has since been restricted, but the 80 bombers in this combat would also have added to the disruption.

In my experience 5k+ guns is almost a guaranteed win for the Red Army.

At this stage of the war as a soviet I would be planning my attacks based on 75% of the face value CV due to artillery and airpower disruption. Ironically that is exactly what happened to the CV at Kharkov so it is not an unexpected result.
It's only a Game

Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Holiday slow down in the game but I got a turn back last night. I have to ponder the situation a bit as his relentless corps attacks are hammering away with no slowing down. He has been pounding a large section of the line since the first snows flew in fall of 1942 and the only thing slowing his relentless one hex grind forward is the mud turns. Is this good or bad? Who knows....

OOB turn 108. My strength is starting to drop a little as his continues to slowly rise. When exactly do the Soviet manpower decreases begin?

My best Generals are still running the army groups. Luckily no mishaps yet!

His ablity to attck constantly in the summer of 1943 is a consern, because it can grind you down over time.

now is the point in the war were you really need to monitar your lose ratio based not only on the combat results, but based on the lose tables per turn. Say 5 turn trends then compare to your OOB over 5 turns.

This will give you a clear picture of how long its taking him to grind you down.

You do not want to win allot of battles and grind "yourself to death". At some point there is no pay-off to this and it only helps him.

You have earned allot of space you have to start trading that for time at some point.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Quick numbers

German infantry 17 June 3877905
08 July 3859996

Actually considering his attacks not to bad.

German Guns 17 June 37385
08 July 36437

German Armor 17 June 6227
08 July 6576
+343

LW 17 June 2682
08 July 2752
+70

I know I will lose some ground with the withdrawals but these numbers are actually a morale builder.
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

As far as the Soviets:

His infantry grew by 6689 so his losses are pretty much on par with his replacements.

His armor shrunk by 128.

His guns grew by 500 or so.

His VVS shrunk by 1386.

So at the height of his offensive things are pretty much stagnant except for the hexes he has gained. I think keeping myself from getting pocketed and losing a lot of troops in big chunks will be my most important goal to get into 1945 with the strength.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

You're doing fine.

Airplane and Armor losses, though, are meaningless for the Soviets. Tank production is so high, the real limitation is number of tank units you can logistically support. If his tank numbers go down, he just has to REFIT and they'll bounce back.

You can't kill enough Russian tanks to make a difference
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Yes your right no pockets and you can counter attack some to build morale.

How many attacks per turn is he doing?

18k is not bad, my game vs Kamil in 44 I am losing about 30k per turn. Hes attacking 28 times a turn winning 66%.

The gun number is kinda high. You only have 36k, so that can put a hurt on you after a while.

What you have for armament pts? I beleive I had 500k, but we were totaly static( 3 attacks per turn) from March 1942 to December 1943.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

The average is 6k a turn I am losing. He is making around 15-20 attacks per turn but 5 or 6 of them are my throw away LW regiments I toss in the open hexes where he has gained control but not occupied them. I get 2 or 3 holds per turn but its clear I wont get much more then that against his stomp stacks of guards corps.

I have around 230k arms in the pool.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Ketza

The average is 6k a turn I am losing. He is making around 15-20 attacks per turn but 5 or 6 of them are my throw away LW regiments I toss in the open hexes where he has gained control but not occupied them. I get 2 or 3 holds per turn but its clear I wont get much more then that against his stomp stacks of guards corps.

I have around 230k arms in the pool.

Your good on armaments I would say. 6k is good.

His tempo of 15 to 20 attacks per turn for the summer of 43 is what I would consider as high. So game is still a toss up. Your in good shape, but he is keeping tempo high enough so as to atleast chip away alittle at your over all OOB and morale.

The good thing is he will not be able to mount anything major because his strength is growing slowly and not building fast.

I would prepare for an major offensive during blizzard because of froozen rivers.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Turn 109

He stepped attacks a bit. This turn Axis had 10 holds. Some of that was due to Panzers being on reserve duty.

Attachments
76mm109batles.jpg
76mm109batles.jpg (133.32 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Turn 109 air losses. Even with the latest patch he launched some 30 airbase raids.

Attachments
76mm109airlosses.jpg
76mm109airlosses.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 38 times

Return to “After Action Reports”