Racing the Sunrise: RA 4.0 --The Allied side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AdmNelson

Racing the Sunrise: RA 4.0 --The Allied side

Post by AdmNelson »

I will be starting the game with John shortly. John and I took RA 3.0 up to May of 43. Now we are taking out the new car for a ride.

I am not the fasted writer and will try to stay up with Japanese.

Plans are being finalized -- since John is not very agressive I will try to defend everywhere. Yea

Last game -- Midway, Johnson I, The Aleutians fell, and even had landings at Diamond Harbor.

I am a very agressive defender and will try to delay the Japanese at every point I can. PLus IJN knows this so that will help in my plans for where to hold the line. I am not sure if IJN will try for Hawaii, India or not. I do know that northen OZ will be attacked at some point.

RA 4.0 -- has DBs in the Philippines which will give me some more assets to harass with. Another CA is in the area also.

Welcome to the fight in RA4.0
Very Proud Marine Dad
denisonh

RE: Racing the Sunrise: RA 4.0 --The Allied side

Post by denisonh »

Good luck.

This scenario has Japan with increased naval capability, so would expect it to be more difficult than the base scenario through the end of 42 into 43. Will read with interest.

I would leave you with the old Sun Tzu quote: The man defends everywhere defends nowhere.

This ain't your pappas scenario 1..........
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

ORIGINAL: denisonh

Good luck.

This scenario has Japan with increased naval capability, so would expect it to be more difficult than the base scenario through the end of 42 into 43. Will read with interest.

I would leave you with the old Sun Tzu quote: The man defends everywhere defends nowhere.

This ain't your pappas scenario 1..........
Thanks

and no it isn't
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

First turn from IJN is in allied hands. Moving as much as possible. A couple questions for for John on house rules. Then I will be done.

There can have multipe port attacks first turn, but only by carrier aircraft. This will make things interesting. DBs in the Philippines should be somewhat of an offset. After the first combat I might have a picture of Japanese intentions.
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

There are some differences with RA 4.0 -- One of which for the allies is a loaded TF taking CD guns to Port Moresby

Attachments
PortMoresbyTF.jpg
PortMoresbyTF.jpg (169.13 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

Turn off to the Japanese. There has been rumors that the Japanese are going to attacking in the Pacific. If so this means WAR.
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Boise and th IJN

Post by AdmNelson »

Some udates on the first few turns

Dec 7, 1941

Kaga and Akagi bombed Manilia on turn 1 but not much damage

SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS S-40, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Tantalus, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Si Kiang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAP Rochambeau, Bomb hits 1
PT-33, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAP President Madison, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AS Otus, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Peary, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAKL Anakan, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Skipjack, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1
PG Asheville, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 1

Pearl Harbor -- no BBs sunk and only 1 with 76 damage or more-- Pacific fleet in good shape

Other good news--Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kuantan at 51,79

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro, Bomb hits 5, on fire followed wiyth Fuso taking 4 bomb hits but not on fire forgot to buy torepdos
DD Oshio, Bomb hits 1

Para landings at both Victoria Point and Ternate

Pensacola sunk sunk

No landings in Malaya-- Interestng

Dec 8, 1941-- Houston hit by torepdo heading to Soreabaja 82 float damage

Still no landings in Malaya--

Dec 9, 1941

Boise had a running battle with the Nachi and 2 DDs, it last over three combat rounds. Boise is out of ammo and will retire to Darwin

CA Chokai, Bomb hits 2, on fire these are from A-24s and 1000lbs near Jolo-- John is not happy with this

Kaga and Akagi north on Minado

Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

RE: Boise and th IJN

Post by AdmNelson »

Dec 12

Landings last turn--Sorong, Miri, Boela, and captured this turn

New landings-- Ambon, Singkawang

KB west of Johnson Island last turn
Kaga and Akagi north and east on Balikpapan
MKB west of Ambon

A-24s have been moving and hiting AKs and CAs 2 Aks hit at Miri with 1000lbs

Marblehead will attacking transports at Ambon

And of course this up coming action at Singkawang, should be interesting.

Attachments
Singkawang.jpg
Singkawang.jpg (171.59 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
denisonh

RE: Boise and th IJN

Post by denisonh »

Nice work with the A-24s.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
AdmNelson

Action around Rabaul

Post by AdmNelson »

Dec 12

Singkwang-- Japanese fleet leaves and no major engagement--falls to the Japanese and I lose 12 A-24s on the ground. Not the battle I was hoping for

Dec 13-- Surface battles as Allied CAs, CLs find transports some loaded with troops

Night Time Surface Combat, near Manus at 101,119, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
xAKL Kaijo Maru #2, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
xAKL Tateyama Maru, Shell hits 23, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Leander

Day Time Surface Combat, near Rambutyo at 102,121, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
xAKL Tomozono Maru #3, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Shinwa Maru, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL Hitora Maru, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
xAKL Higari Maru, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
xAKL Taiyu Maru, Shell hits 9, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA Canberra
CL Perth

Japanese ground losses: Very Nice
959 casualties reported
Squads: 11 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 41 destroyed, 72 disabled
Engineers: 11 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 4 (3 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Day Time Surface Combat, near Feni Islands at 108,126, Range 22,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
xAKL Katsuragisan Maru, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
xAKL Amakasu Maru, Shell hits 17, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Achilles

Lady Lex is near to Rabaul and looking for the Two IJN CAs that attacked Port Moresby TF
Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Kako
CL Abukuma
CL Yubari
DD Mutsuki
DD Mochizuki
DD Yuzuki

Allied Ships
CL Adelaide, Shell hits 12, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk OVER MATCHED

KB-- unknown believed headed toward Canton Island but no reoprts for two days
Kaga and Akagi having fun hitting shipping near Soerabaja
MKB unknown-- Best guess now headed toward Rabaul to take on the Lexington best EST 4-5 days

Report of TF headed to Adak Island will try and intercept
Very Proud Marine Dad
khyberbill

RE: Action around Rabaul

Post by khyberbill »

In my game with John, reports like this only gave me a two day notice. John does like to grab a few Northern Islands early. I would rush some troops to the island Unimak (sp?) that can build a large airfield. Please note that I have not read John's AAR.

Nice going with those surface engagements. This will mess with Johns mind. For about the length of time to make a Subway sandwich.

A few other thoughts:

I barely stopped John at Hilo. He may want another crack at these islands and I would advise sending a large supply TF (>200k) to Hawaii soon as possible. John invaded Hilo on 19 Jan 42 so he doesnt waste time, as you well know.

If he doesnt invade the Hawaii Islands in Jan. then one has to consider other targets. I know he has invaded India before. Likely targets this time would be Ceylon or Australia. Northeast India may also be on the agenda for the resources. There is a lot you can do to stop John In Ceylon. I always start building forts in the coastal cities on the eastern shore of India and Ceylon and move in some troops as soon as possible.

I know that every JFB invades Darwin. I had a hard time holding that part of Australia due to the supply routine (in my game with John no supplies flowed from Alice Springs to Tennant Creek) which has now been changed and that should help your defence. If John also goes for Cairns and/or Geraldton then he may have more adventurous designs. However, Australia can be held.

At least with John you will soon know where he is headed. KB is the key. Find KB and you find the target. Incidentally, John knows that Allied Intel picks up preparations. He will prepare for multiple targets-none of which will be the primary target. I dont think he prepped for any Hawaii bases until after the invasion.

I moved about 400 AV from DEI to Coco Islands. John hates that. He lost about a division trying to take the island in two different attacks. If you get a chance, re-enforce the island and also get a squad or two of Hurricanes there to counter his Betty attacks. He will also drive deep into the southwest Pacific to hamper your efforts to build up Australia and New Zealand. Expect New Caledonia to also be high on the list. I tried to stop him there and failed miserably.

Good luck.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

ORIGINAL: khyberbill
In my game with John, reports like this only gave me a two day notice. John does like to grab a few Northern Islands early. I would rush some troops to the island Unimak (sp?) that can build a large airfield. Please note that I have not read John's AAR.

Nice going with those surface engagements. This will mess with Johns mind. For about the length of time to make a Subway sandwich. Thanks and yes messing with his mind doesn't last long
A few other thoughts:

I barely stopped John at Hilo. He may want another crack at these islands and I would advise sending a large supply TF (>200k) to Hawaii soon as possible. John invaded Hilo on 19 Jan 42 so he doesnt waste time, as you well know. I think I will know more if he attacks Midway and Johnson Island agree on the supply

If he doesnt invade the Hawaii Islands in Jan. then one has to consider other targets. I know he has invaded India before. Likely targets this time would be Ceylon or Australia. Northeast India may also be on the agenda for the resources. There is a lot you can do to stop John In Ceylon. I always start building forts in the coastal cities on the eastern shore of India and Ceylon and move in some troops as soon as possible. Last game he tried NE India and I almost killed a 1000AVs, don't think he will try that gambit again. Ceylon on the other hand?

I know that every JFB invades Darwin. I had a hard time holding that part of Australia due to the supply routine (in my game with John no supplies flowed from Alice Springs to Tennant Creek) which has now been changed and that should help your defence. If John also goes for Cairns and/or Geraldton then he may have more adventurous designs. However, Australia can be held. 33rd division by reports is loaded and headed to Wyndham. I am moving two full divisions to Alice Springs already

At least with John you will soon know where he is headed. KB is the key. Find KB and you find the target. Incidentally, John knows that Allied Intel picks up preparations. He will prepare for multiple targets-none of which will be the primary target. I dont think he prepped for any Hawaii bases until after the invasion. THe KB is 4 carriers strong the other two are in the DEI, I think down deep he is looking at Christmas Island. Last game he swung the KB by and I had 300-400 AC plus a least 3 divisi0ns there. It is a great place to cut off OZ.Supply issue for the Japanese though.
I moved about 400 AV from DEI to Coco Islands. John hates that. He lost about a division trying to take the island in two different attacks. If you get a chance, re-enforce the island and also get a squad or two of Hurricanes there to counter his Betty attacks. He will also drive deep into the southwest Pacific to hamper your efforts to build up Australia and New Zealand. Expect New Caledonia to also be high on the list. Last game he left Noumea alone not sure about this game. But I did hit AKs that looked like they were headed to Ndeni with the Lexington. I tried to stop him there and failed miserably. I had only a brigade there last time, this time I am moving two more in that direction. I can pull out the Air HQ out Sinapore and move it to Coco. I have 30 PBYs plus 30 Wilderbeasts, almost two Sqs of Hurricanes in the area( just converted my best exp Buffalo Sq to Hurricanes)

Good luck.

He doesn't know where Enterprise is, and last game She ended up hitting transports landing in Java and almost caught the transports landing at Diamond Harbor. He knows I will commit my carriers hopefully he will have to make alot of Subway sandwiches. and thanks
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

The next few turns I am going to have to start to commiting troops ACs and ships to areas. OP points will need to be conserved to allow some to be moved from the west coast. I also have still alot of B-17s(29) in Mindanao that have to be gotten out.

These defensive lines are

M=major will hold with everthing, exception is Port Moresby will be reinforced heavily and will a mjor load of support, but at some point will be left on its own.

m=minor lines will be buit up, but can be lost. Midway and Johnson Island are close enough to Hawaii I feel can be retaken.

I can't stop Darwin from falling if the Japanese bring enough, but can I move enough in the area to tie down quite a bit. Both Burma and Diamond Harbor can be reinforced by land. Ceylon is different and will need to have ships to move troops. Plus I want to make sure I have a major sub base. Suva will be reinforced first then Noumea, and Chritsmas Island will be built up before Suva.

Attachments
Overalllook.jpg
Overalllook.jpg (115.4 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
kfsgo

Post by kfsgo »

ORIGINAL: AdmNelson

These defensive lines are

I will comment on Northern Australia since it's an issue I have put a lot of faff into over the last few months and it has turned into a Thing for me lately. I am working on the assumption that the Japanese will take Darwin pretty quickly since you're already picking up troops preparing for local bases and, frankly, it's pretty trivial to do - they can burn more supply by bombing alone from, say, Timor or Broome than you can provide forwards at this early stage.

- Your "outback" frontal base is (well, should be) Tennant Creek, not Daly Waters.

1- Realistically, you can get a few thousand tons of supplies into Tennant per week given a few months of construction;
2- You can support a fairly significant land or air effort from Tennant supplies;
3- You can also draw a surprisingly large amount of supply forward to Daly, Katherine etc from Tennant.

The catch is - you can't do 2 and 3 at the same time. Either you stockpile supplies at Tennant for use by aircraft - and you will need aircraft to have any hope of prosecuting a campaign aimed at the NT - or you release it to bases or units further forwards and your air effort becomes very scatty due to units stealing all the supply. This isn't a binary thing like in India where you can release them one day and have them recover over the next week - because the distances and so wastage are greater, and the transport net worse, it takes ages to build the stockpiles back up if you release them once.

Daly, Katherine and Fenton can and do draw supplies direct from Alice Springs, but the amounts are not huge and wastage en-route is - 60-75%. So, roughly, you will get a quarter of whatever the supply flow number on the base screen is twice a week. Darwin proper - note that supply does make the trip from Alice, again twice a week - draws far more than all three of them put together unless you do some really major engineering - which you almost certainly won't be able to in time - but it still works out as being about 900t per week, which ain't much.

Now - LCUs are not affected by base supply limits per se as long as they're not in the relevant friendly base hexes - your units outside of bases will still draw supply from Alice if they have to, though only once per week if they're really far north. The problem is what to do with them the other six days of the week...most people who try to fight up north, not realising this, get batted about by smaller Japanese forces who don't have these issues, given that they have a railway most of the way home and/or sea supply. What happens is - your units draw supply on day 1 - use it all up on day 2 - and get critical combat maluses on days 3-7. This can be avoided, sort of, by making sure you're bombarding on the day supply movement occurs so they draw a double ration, but you need to figure out what day that is first, which will likely take longer than you have. You really do need air support, and lots of it, to get far against significant opposition without going the naval route.

Ok - these issues all apply to the Japanese much the same, except in reverse geographically - the further they get from Darwin the more brittle their forces get. IE, you're fairly secure at Tennant with just enough force to hold off raids - major Allied forces can get from, say, Adelaide to Tennant (4 days train + 10/20 days for armoured/infantry units in move mode) about as quickly as the Japanese can get from Daly Waters to Tennant (9/18 days for armoured/infantry units in move mode).

So - basically, your two divisions are a bit of a waste further north than Alice except insofar as they're construction labour - and in a supply-starved situation, which even Tennant will be initially, they're really cripplingly inefficient as construction labour, with all those extra mouths that keep insisting on doing nothing but slinging rifles around to feed. Once you've done six months of engineering work...well, then you can think about seriously fighting in the NT. Not really before that, though.

With all that said, if you can wave a wand and get 50,000t of supplies into Darwin before the Japanese stop you moving it, then by all means send more troops. It really is a situation where you need to do the logistics first, though, because you can't operate effectively otherwise.
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

Dec 15

DEI-- Kaga and Akagi are hammering everything that moves. Hurricanes and A-24s didin' fly last turn.

Now for Rabaul--Mutsu and Nagato bombard Rabaul followed by this action.

And after the surface action the Lexington gets into the battle.

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 10
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 15
SBD-3 Dauntless x 13

Japanese Ships--- These ships bombarded Port Morseby two days ago
CA Kako, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA Furutaka, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Abukuma
CL Yubari, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Allied aircraft
SBD-2 Dauntless x 15
TBD-1 Devastator x 12

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage 1000lbs--cool
DD Yuzuki, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Mochizuki, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 10
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 14
SBD-2 Dauntless x 15
SBD-3 Dauntless x 12
TBD-1 Devastator x 11

Japanese Ships--- Final Action
CL Abukuma, Bomb hits 1
CA Kako, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA Furutaka
CL Yubari, on fire
Attachments
Surfaceba..rRabaul.jpg
Surfaceba..rRabaul.jpg (165.53 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

We were wondering where the KB is? Well we have found them, wonder what they are doing?

Attachments
KBinthe..Pacific.jpg
KBinthe..Pacific.jpg (103.92 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

kfsgo-- Thanks for the thoughts, I will start the Australia defense lines in the next few days. I am moving two divisions towards the north already
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

KB is either raiders or are guarding the reinforcements from West Coast reaching Christmas Island or farther west. Good thing the transport are not where John thinks they are, or the Enterprise and Saratoga.

We have confimed that the Kaga, Akagi, CVLs Ryujo, are in th DEI norh of Batavia a few hundred miles

We have confirmed that the CAs Kinugasa,Myoko, and Aoba were at Wake Island on the 12th of December, alon with CLs Oi, Tama, and Isuzu.

The Lexington showing up a Rabaul has surprised the IJN commander. This could give a chance to really build up Port Morseby

I still have to figure out the KB though.

There was a report of transports loaded and headed to Midway. I may have to build up what I can before the KB moves back there though that would take an awful lot of fuel. I have not seen any AOs yet
Very Proud Marine Dad
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

KB is either raiders or are guarding the reinforcements from West Coast reaching Christmas Island or farther west. Good thing the transport are not where John thinks they are, or the Enterprise and Saratoga.

I would not be surprised if KB went north and then west. That is the path he took against me in the beginning. Where are his oilers? I just missed them in our game. Oh for a few Fletchers in Jan 42!
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

I would not be surprised if KB went north and then west. That is the path he took against me in the beginning. Where are his oilers? I just missed them in our game. Oh for a few Fletchers in Jan 42!

KB came from the between Johnson Island and Christmas Island. I didn't have alot of PBYs searching in those directions very heavily. I have around 40 B-17s that will good to search mod, also. If I can find his oilers that would be nice.
Very Proud Marine Dad

Return to “After Action Reports”