Why no Chester?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

Why no Chester?

Post by warspite1 »

Nine of the ten Nimitz-class carriers are named in full e.g. Ronald Reagan and
Carl Vinson, while the tenth, is just Nimitz. Why is poor Chester not treated with this respect? Any ideas? I asked the knowledgable peeps on the WITP site but no joy. Not a major point but one that is annoying me.....[&:]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wworld7

RE: Why no Chester?

Post by wworld7 »

Everyone who would care KNOWS who the The USS Nimitz is named after. I don't think Chester is rolling over in his grave on this issue.
Flipper
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Maybe they didn't want any confusion with the least well known US president.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sorry mate I didn't understand that comment?

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Chester A. Arthur was the 21st US president and probably the name most likely to be missed if someone tried to recite them all. Perhaps I missed adding a smiley or something. [;)]

Anyway the comment was certainly not meant to offend anyone.

Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I'm sure you didn't - except perhaps the descendents of the great President Chester [;)]

No paulderynck, your only crime was to deliver that in such a deadpan stylee that I thought it was a serious comment. Yes, a [;)] would have helped [;)]

Goodness, that's three [;)] - no four in one post. I feel like a right winker [;)] oh - there I go again!

Sewerlobster

Post by Sewerlobster »

Well for what it's worth the CVN-69 was originally named the USS Eisenhower but they changed the name on 25 May 1970(wiki). I would presume that someone in Washington decided that ships named after real people would carry the full name from then on.
Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

maybe the Spruance class DD's set a precedent this way?

and since we have a Nimitz thread, I'll ask Nimitz trivia:

What movie did this CV have a starring role in?

Bonus question: which wargame has a cameo?
Orm

Post by Orm »

My bet for the movie is "The Final Countdown". No idea on the wargame.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

There was an unofficial "Final Countdown" Scenario for "War in the Pacific" [&:]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: Orm

The film where a modern nuclear US carrier travels accidentally in time and arrives just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: micheljq

ORIGINAL: Orm

The film where a modern nuclear US carrier travels accidentally in time and arrives just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
Yes. That is The Final Countdown.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Carl Vinson, while the tenth, is just Nimitz. Why is poor Chester not treated with this respect? Any ideas? I asked the knowledgable peeps on the WITP site but no joy. Not a major point but one that is annoying me.....[&:]
ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Everyone who would care KNOWS who the The USS Nimitz is named after. I don't think Chester is rolling over in his grave on this issue.

I‘m assuming you are talking about the Heavy Cruiser USS Chester (CA-27, originally CL-27) named after the city of Chester, Pennsylvania.

[:D] Kind of hard for an entire city to roll over in its grave. [:D]

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous
ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

I‘m assuming you are talking about the Heavy Cruiser USS Chester (CA-27, originally CL-27) named after the city of Chester, Pennsylvania.

[:D] Kind of hard for an entire city to roll over in its grave. [:D]

I've been to Chester many times. It wouldn't be all that difficult to roll the whole place over.[:D]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

LOL!!!
Flipper
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

yep, The Final Countdown is the movie of course. Thankfully, it came out well before that craptastic rock song with the same name, so when you watch the movie, you won't have to worry about hearing that.

In the movie there is a quick shot in a ward room of some of the crew setting up the boards to play Squad Leader.

I thought someone around here made up a WiF counter for the F-15 several years ago... ??? It would make a great Easter Egg in any WWII game...
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Other bad ideas for Ship names:

CA - USS Intercourse (for Intercourse, PA)
CA - USS Scaggsville (for Scaggsville, MD)

Does the UK name ships after people? Then we could have the USS Laurel (for Laurel, MD) & HMS Hardy (for Thomas Hardy) on a joint mission...

Ok, stopping now.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

There is a "The Final Countdown" scenario in the old "Complete Carriers at War", with the CVN Nimitz complete with Tomcats, Corsairs, Intruders and Hawkeyes. The commander, of course, is K. Douglas.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

yep, The Final Countdown is the movie of course. Thankfully, it came out well before that craptastic rock song with the same name, so when you watch the movie, you won't have to worry about hearing that.

In the movie there is a quick shot in a ward room of some of the crew setting up the boards to play Squad Leader.

I thought someone around here made up a WiF counter for the F-15 several years ago... ??? It would make a great Easter Egg in any WWII game...
I don't think my wife would like that comment about that rock group. She still is a real fan of those boys (I'm not...). The movie itself was really, really crap. I've seen some nonsense in regards to movies, but that one was really over the top...
Peter
Extraneous

RE: Why no Chester? Why no Haunebu?

Post by Extraneous »

Attachments
HAUNEBU.jpg
HAUNEBU.jpg (67 KiB) Viewed 58 times
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Return to “World in Flames”