How to find and engage enemy surface TFs

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

WITPPL

How to find and engage enemy surface TFs

Post by WITPPL »

Gentlemen,

What is the most efficient way of geting enemy surface TFs (except goo nav search)?

4+ reaction range is (looks to me) obvious but other than that? Destination or Patrol? Remain on stations or Return? How to set it properly?
crsutton

RE: How to find and engage enemy surface TFs

Post by crsutton »

High detection values. Which means, naval search, air search, recon, night naval search, good commanders, radar and so on. One thing to be cautious about is do not overdo it with the reaction range if you are sailing deep into enemy waters. Your ships can react multiple times leaving them out of OP points and well into range of Japanese air when daylight comes. It is not pretty when it happens.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: crsutton
good commanders

By this, I would interpret commanders with high naval and (particularly for the admirals) aggression ratings. They tend to go out of their way to pick a fight and it shows with multiple engagements.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

4 only if you are under your own air protection. Could get your ships far away from dest. if it reacts more than once.

Use patrol 0 days, TF wont retreat to base until need to replenish. Keep in mind though that when youre stationary in a hex
you accumulate DL if its in range of enemy naval search.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

good commanders

By this, I would interpret commanders with high naval and (particularly for the admirals) aggression ratings. They tend to go out of their way to pick a fight and it shows with multiple engagements.

Why Admirals - I thought rank made no difference?
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

good commanders

Chickenboy referred to command level I think (single ship / TF), not actual rank. You are right rank makes no difference.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I had halsey on react 6 with the Big E. He found the Kido Butai and a watery grave in one turn.[:@]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Be aware of this game mechanics issue: "Remain on Station" NEGATES any "React" range. Confirmed with developers and through play many times. Google search the forum if you want confirmation.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

You might also be interested in this, which I wrote a while back.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2822082&mpage=1&key=&#2822082
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Would it be true to say that a SFTF moving into a hex with spotters set to night naval search 0 range have better chance of an intercept or range set at 1 or 2 of reacting??
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Chickenboy referred to command level I think (single ship / TF), not actual rank. You are right rank makes no difference.
Yes, I was referring to TF commander. Usually, for most of the best qualified Air Combat commanders, it's some degree of Admiral. If you can find a good Ensign with good leadership, naval, air and aggression, use them instead. Usually, though, the better ones are higher rank for TF commanders.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Be aware of this game mechanics issue: "Remain on Station" NEGATES any "React" range. Confirmed with developers and through play many times. Google search the forum if you want confirmation.
thanks for this information, it's new for me (as a lot of about WITP[;)])
WITPPL

Post by WITPPL »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

This is exactly what I was looking for. thank you very much!
d0mbo

Post by d0mbo »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Yes, I was referring to TF commander. Usually, for most of the best qualified Air Combat commanders, it's some degree of Admiral. If you can find a good Ensign with good leadership, naval, air and aggression, use them instead. Usually, though, the better ones are higher rank for TF commanders.

Does the rank of a TF commander matter? Sometimes the commander is denoted with a * (or a #?) when it is auto-picked (somewhere else on this formus is explained the way the a.i. picks the commanding captain of a TF automatically).
When hand-picking a commander (mostly of higher rank) the * disappears.

I wonder if there is some sort of leader modifier (-) in combat if you dont have a commander of the right rank. Eg small (taskforces a rear admiral, the bigger ons a vice admiral etc.). In land combat there seems to be, if a unit is fragmented and has a automatically assigned leader of a lower rank leading the battle.
(miostly happens when invading and not unloading the unit in one turn).

LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

The only impact of rank is, not every rank is available for every TF type / composition.

You cannot manually assign RADMs for a SC ASW TF, also you cannot chose a LT for command of a
BB SAG (except if you assign the LT to command the flagship first).
They do not get listed on commander selection.

Besides this the impact is none. Still I often prefer fitting rank for realism flavor.

The leader (-) modifier in land combat only shows that the dice roll on whether the leader´s
skill impacts combat has failed. This is as well not related to rank.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”