New Public Beta 1.05.53 of WitE now Available!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

JamesM

RE: New Public Beta 1.05.53 of WitE now Available!

Post by JamesM »

I was trying to assign Level bomber and then fighter bomber to different airfields using the type selector in the assign screen.  I first deselected all and choose the type mentioned and I had trouble closing the window unless I selected a second group namely tactical bombers and then reopening the window and deselecting the second group.  Also it worked after just doing the normal method a couple of times (closing the window and reopening it).  I have not noticed this issue in previous versions.
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

Next question, what has happened to the Germans opening air attacks? Previously from airfield bombing the Germans could achieve Soviet air craft kills of 3000+. Now with the latest patch the best I have been able to achieve in 3 attempts is 1700, the lowest was 1100. Bombing raids consisting of 50+ bombers and scoring no kills at all are not uncommon.

Why had the German opening air attacks been so heavily neutered. I believe actual losses for the 22 nd were 2000+ Soviet aircraft vs 90 axis aircraft.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

great work now i will play the game after beening on hold for a very long time!

Tiger
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Losses during airbase attacks have come down at least twice during the past few months. The most recent reduction was probably mostly due to the restriction on airfield attacks that the air group must have flown less than 1/3 of their available miles to fly the mission (this had been 1/2 before the recent change - other smaller changes probably had a minor impact here and there). There was always debate internally on what the appropriate loss numbers on turn 1 should be. A human player that knew what they were doing was usually able to kill more aircraft than the historical numbers. The AI, which isn't quite as smart, would kill less, but was still usually over the historical total. Of course there was always some price to using up your aircraft flying airfield attacks as you were limited in your ground support. We think the numbers that can be achieved on turn 1 are still in the right historical range, although there's no doubt debate on exactly what that number should be. We felt the reduction on turn 1 was ok, and wanted to further limit the problems that were being reported with the abuse of airbase attacks during the rest of the game.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Losses during airbase attacks have come down at least twice during the past few months. The most recent reduction was probably mostly due to the restriction on airfield attacks that the air group must have flown less than 1/3 of their available miles to fly the mission (this had been 1/2 before the recent change - other smaller changes probably had a minor impact here and there). There was always debate internally on what the appropriate loss numbers on turn 1 should be. A human player that knew what they were doing was usually able to kill more aircraft than the historical numbers. The AI, which isn't quite as smart, would kill less, but was still usually over the historical total. Of course there was always some price to using up your aircraft flying airfield attacks as you were limited in your ground support. We think the numbers that can be achieved on turn 1 are still in the right historical range, although there's no doubt debate on exactly what that number should be. We felt the reduction on turn 1 was ok, and wanted to further limit the problems that were being reported with the abuse of airbase attacks during the rest of the game.

Thanks Joel, that explains it.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I would have thought that the WiTP December 8 start would provide the obvious answer to this problem. Start the game on 23 June 1941 with the historical soviet losses on the ground already applied. Then there is no need for a complex set of calculations that attempt to replicate an anomaly - just abstract it.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Is there a plan to address the 'March madness' problem in the next release?
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Is there a plan to address the 'March madness' problem in the next release?

Yes.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

I would have thought that the WiTP December 8 start would provide the obvious answer to this problem. Start the game on 23 June 1941 with the historical soviet losses on the ground already applied. Then there is no need for a complex set of calculations that attempt to replicate an anomaly - just abstract it.

This solution would make a lot of folks unhappy. They actually like to micromanage the Luftwaffe strikes and run up the score, it is practically its own minigame. (I'm one of these people who considers the whole air war a bother and am not fond of micromanaging it, but tastes vary.)
WitE Alpha Tester
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Losses during airbase attacks have come down at least twice during the past few months.

Most significant reduction was due to the fix for bad loss counting. All these 6K losses shown in early versions were mostly virtual.
Pavel Zagzin
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Start the game on 23 June 1941 with the historical soviet losses on the ground already applied.

This would be very interesting scenario worth of the huge historical research as in most cases it is a big unknown what were "historical" losses on "23 June 1941".
Pavel Zagzin
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Pavel, even if we could pin down the numbers, odds are good that as many people would hate this as like it. There are some serious Luftwaffe junkies out there. [:D]
WitE Alpha Tester
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I meant not only air losses, Flavio. These are not a big problem as it may seem. Condition of Red Army is much bigger problem.
Pavel Zagzin
krieger

Post by krieger »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
1. Will the split now happen?

It should happen.

I had the previous version installed (1.05.45 I think) when I captured the 3 towns required for the split and it didn't happen the following turn. Then I looked for new updates and installed 1.05.53 and the split has taken place now after AI moved and a new turn started. Well, the only problem I see is that I think that the assigment of leaders is incorrect as List is attached to Army Group B (with 4.PzArmee and 6.Armee attached). I think Army Group A is the one going into the Caucasus historically. Also the morale of AG B is 50 or so now (it should be the opossite if AG A was the new HQ created). Whilem List commanded Armeegruppe A from the Artemovsk region and von Bock was soon reliefed of command of Armeegruppe B after argument with Führer about how best to encircle the Southwestern Front. von Weichss took command of AG B. This is about July 42. It's important cause later on AG A becomes AG south ukraine, etc.

Also, I was wondering if the game contemplates the arrival in early 43 of Army detachments Kempf or Hollidt to compensate the losses of 11.Armee and 6.Armee.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Also the morale of AG B is 50 or so now (it should be the opossite if AG A was the new HQ created).

HQ morale is not used much. You can ignore it.

Pavel Zagzin
krieger

Post by krieger »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
Also the morale of AG B is 50 or so now (it should be the opossite if AG A was the new HQ created).

HQ morale is not used much. You can ignore it.

Then why not make it 70 at start (german NM in 1942)?. Anyhow I expect it to gravitate towards NM.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Then why not make it 70 at start (german NM in 1942)?

To increase the post count on the forum..
Pavel Zagzin
krieger

Post by krieger »

That wasn't my point but if you like...
Tentpeg

Post by Tentpeg »

Helpless have you ever considered a career as a comedian?

Oh yeah, add another post to the forum count.
DesertedFox

Post by DesertedFox »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

This solution would make a lot of folks unhappy. They actually like to micromanage the Luftwaffe strikes and run up the score, it is practically its own minigame. (I'm one of these people who considers the whole air war a bother and am not fond of micromanaging it, but tastes vary.)

+1

Ahmen Flav.[;)]

I like to play the Russians but will try the Germans soon against a friend. My biggest headache is having to micro airfield attacks first turn.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”