[REL] Kalthaniell's Shipyards -Updated 02.01.12 ( image heavy )

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

tjhkkr

RE: Kalthaniell's Shipyards

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you, as always!!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Bertonious

Post by Bertonious »

I guess I'm retarded but I cannot get the mods to work how I want. I followed the instructions indicated (long and short) and I still get stuck with the same original ship models. An updated set of instructions would be welcome, as well as which versions this does or does not work with would be welcome. I want shiny ships :***(
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Thx guys! [:D]

Bretonious- maybe the ships are installed but you are not playing with the race that has them? There's 20 races and only 6 shipsets. I'm pretty sure, the shipsets will work with any DW version. Make sure you activated the theme in which the files are installed. Check the directiries. The instructions work :]
eltharion

Post by eltharion »

I love your work.
I agree with Data on the difficulty of making a choice between the different sets of images of your spaceships.
These are all wonderful.

I exhort you to keep (compatibly with your spare time) to delight us with your "pearls for eyes."
Thank you
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. Is not life a hundred times too short for us to bore ourselves?

-Friedrich Nietzsche-
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

The chocolate ship set looks so incredible that i can't believe it..
Oh god i hope you add these ships in a mod to Starfarer at some point (when that game is more developed, but already it supports great 2d ship art).
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Hi guys, and thx again!

I have finally decided to make a proper Mass Effect mod. I already have gathered the resources and reserved some time, but I still could use some help. I can make new ships easy but I don't feel too confident in the area of race behaviour modding. I already checked out the modding guide and it seems it takes not only some experience to do it properly, but also some time. I was wandering if anyone could help me with race files and dialogs etc.? If not I will still make the mod but it will take longer :P Any takers?

Anyway, I just wanted to announce it. It will take some weeks before the mod is ready but I think that it's going to be my best Dw addition so far ^^
TheJian

Post by TheJian »

Hello great mod.. I need some help, Its a little thing I cant seem 2 fix. I want to use your mod playing humans, and this is what I did ....Customization /My Theme/shipImages/family4/”... But it does not show for the humans but some other race.... I got the number 4 from the biases txt....This must be wrong so how do I find what number to use?

I know the humans are number 6 now, but I want to know If they have some kind of list of what number each race Is.
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Try family 0 if you are playing legends.
Have fun ;)

There is a list. In the main DW folder there is a races.txt file. In this file the nubmer of ship families for each race is listed. The one for design pics is the first single digit number after a series of the three digit ones.
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

Hi guys, and thx again!

I have finally decided to make a proper Mass Effect mod. I already have gathered the resources and reserved some time, but I still could use some help. I can make new ships easy but I don't feel too confident in the area of race behaviour modding. I already checked out the modding guide and it seems it takes not only some experience to do it properly, but also some time. I was wandering if anyone could help me with race files and dialogs etc.? If not I will still make the mod but it will take longer :P Any takers?

Anyway, I just wanted to announce it. It will take some weeks before the mod is ready but I think that it's going to be my best Dw addition so far ^^

I'd be glade to help if you're still interested, I love your ship pack
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

ORIGINAL: Kamonrius

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

Hi guys, and thx again!

I'd be glade to help if you're still interested, I love your ship pack

I am. Do you know much about Mass Effect races?
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

Yes I do...playing ME1 and ME2, having both in my possession and beating it 4 times on 360 and once each on PC? yeah lol
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Pretty much the same here:P Are you familiar with modifing race files for DW Legends?
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

Yes I am, from Dialogs, behaviors, Race stats, events etc etc I can do, Chars no not yet to cover that I just set the affinity for that race to produce chars with 1 specific trait per Character Type.
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Good enough.

My original concept is to add new ME races to the game, instead of replacing them.
The races I thought the first release should include:
-Turrians
-Asari
-Salarians
-Human Alliance
-The Geth

After that:
-The Reapers,
-Krogans
-Cerberus (I'm thinking ahead for ME3)

Later on:
-Hanar
-Volus
-the monkey like, emotionless thingies (forgot the name)

What do you think? Could you make race files for this races?
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

Oh verry much yes, and if you so desire I can get started with the basics (things like Dialog, affinities and behavior require your input, its your mod ;p)

let me give you examples I will basically put into words how the configuration would be
-Turians
Homeworld name Pavalen: Unfriendly, Very reliable with treaties, low on Trade and Tourism, Military ship sizes would be 20% larger than normal while civs 20% smaller, a Feudalism (do you agree? I say feudalism because of how their Colonies were set up, their Citizens duty attitude everyone has their place right) More likely to build Military ships than Civs. and very likely to enact Trade Sanction Blockades and subjugations(I'm iffy on that) . Normal research speeds low dispositions towards the Human Alliance/Geth/Krogans

'Distant Worlds Race file -

'Name: name of the race
Name ;Turian
'Picture index: index of picture used for this race from race pictures contained in Images\units\races\ folder or Customization\YourTheme\raceImages\ folder
PictureIndex ;XX

'Race Family: 0=Humanoid, 1=Ursidian, 2=Insectoid, 3=Reptilian, 4=Amphibian, 5=Rodent, 6=Machine
RaceFamily ;3?

'Reproduction rate: base rate of population growth. This rate is also modified by other external factors
ReproductionRate ;1.00

'Intelligence: intelligence level (normal = 100). This factor influences research rate and smartness of interaction with other empires
Intelligence ;102

'Aggression: aggression level (normal = 100). This factor influences interaction with other empires, level of military ship building
Aggression ;133

'Caution: caution level (normal = 100). This factor influences interaction with other empires, level of military ship building
Caution ;121

'Friendliness: friendliness level (normal = 100). This factor influences likelihood of forming treaties with other empires and general interaction with other empires
Friendliness ;90

'Loyalty: loyalty level (normal = 100). This factor influences how likely to stick to treaties with other empires
Loyalty ;155

'Designs picture family index: index of default ships pictures used for this race from ship pictures contained in Images\units\ships\ folder or Customization\YourTheme\shipImages\ folder
DesignsPictureFamilyIndex ;xx

'Design names index: index into default design names
DesignNamesIndex ;xx

'Ship Maintenance Savings: percentage rate of savings on maintenance costs for ships and bases
ShipMaintenanceSavings ;0

'Troop Maintenance Savings: percentage rate of savings on maintenance costs for troops
TroopMaintenanceSavings ;20 (Their culture encourages service)

'Resource Extraction Bonus: percentage rate of speed increase for all mining operations
ResourceExtractionBonus ;0

'War Weariness Attenuation: percentage rate of reduction in war weariness
WarWearinessAttenuation ;10 (ditto)

'Satisfaction Modifier: percentage rate of happiness bonus at colonies
SatisfactionModifier ;0 (in turian history dozens of colonies rebelled and had to be conqured by force)

'Research Bonus: percentage rate of speed increase for research
ResearchBonus ;0

'Espionage Bonus: percentage rate of skill bonus for all intelligence missions
EspionageBonus ;0

'Trade Bonus: percentage rate of bonus for colony income
TradeBonus ;0

'Overall Ship Design Focus: 0=Balanced, 1=Speed/Agility, 2=Power, 3=Efficiency
OverallShipDesignFocus ;2

'Tech Focus 1: 0=None, 1=Beams, 2=Phasers, 3=Rail Guns, 4=Torpedoes, 5=Bombard Weapons, 6=Missiles, 7=Area Weapons, 8=Ion Weapons, 9=Fighters, 10=Armor, 11=Shields, 12=Reactors, 13=Main Thrust Engines, 14=Vectoring Engines, 15=HyperDrives, 16=Hyper Disruption, 17=Construction, 18=Damage Control, 19=Targetting, 20=Countermeasures, 21=Sensors, 22=Medicine, 23=Recreation
TechFocus1 ;(uuh...you decide)

'Tech Focus 2: 0=None, 1=Beams, 2=Phasers, 3=Rail Guns, 4=Torpedoes, 5=Bombard Weapons, 6=Missiles, 7=Area Weapons, 8=Ion Weapons, 9=Fighters, 10=Armor, 11=Shields, 12=Reactors, 13=Main Thrust Engines, 14=Vectoring Engines, 15=HyperDrives, 16=Hyper Disruption, 17=Construction, 18=Damage Control, 19=Targetting, 20=Countermeasures, 21=Sensors, 22=Medicine, 23=Recreation
TechFocus2 ;(same)

'Native planet type: 0=Continental, 1=MarshySwamp, 2=Desert, 3=Ocean, 4=Ice, 5=Volcanic
NativePlanetType ;2?

'Special Component: 0=None, 1=Death Ray, 2=Devastator Pulse, 3=Super Laser, 4=StarBurner, 5=TurboThruster, 6=Swift Vector, 7=Megatron, 8=NovaCore, 9=VelocityDrive, 10=ShadowGhost ECM, 11=Shaktur FireStorm, 12=High Density Fuel Cell, 13=S2F7 RepairBot, 14=PulseWave Cannon, 15=Raptor Targetting System
SpecialComponent ;0

'Special Government: 0=None, 1=Technocracy, 2=HiveMind, 3=MercantileGuild, 4=UtopianParadise, 5=Way of the Ancients, 6=Way of Darkness, 7=Corporate Nationalism
SpecialGovernment ;0

'Preferred Starting Government: 0=No preference, 1=Technocracy, 2=HiveMind, 3=MercantileGuild, 4=UtopianParadise, 5=Way of the Ancients, 6=Way of Darkness, 7=Despotism, 8=Feudalism, 9=Monarchy, 10=Republic, 11=Democracy, 12=Military Dictatorship, 13=Corporate Nationalism
PreferredStartingGovernment ;8

'Expanding: indicates whether this race will colonize new planets or not (Y/N). Set this to 'N' to create a static empire that does not colonize
Expanding ;Y

'Can be Pirate: indicates whether this race can be a pirate faction or not (Y/N)
CanBePirate ;Y

'Playable: indicates whether this race can be selected by the player as their empire's race at start of game or not (Y/N)
Playable ;Y

'Periodic Change Interval: number of years between change to racial characteristics (defined below), 0=no periodic changes
PeriodicChangeInterval ;0

'Periodic Change Length: number of years changed racial characteristics last (defined below), 0=no periodic changes
PeriodicChangeLength ;1

'Periodic Factors - Growth: periodic change to growth rate
PeriodicFactorsGrowth ;1.52

'Periodic Factors - Aggression: periodic change to aggression level
PeriodicFactorsAggression ;73

'Periodic Factors - Caution: periodic change to caution level
PeriodicFactorsCaution ;91

'Periodic Factors - Friendliness: periodic change to friendliness level
PeriodicFactorsFriendliness ;140

'Race event that occurs during change cycle: 0=None, 1-28=events (see Modding Guide)
PeriodicChangeCycleEvent ;0

'Ship Size Factor Civilian - resize factor for maximum civilian ship sizes
ShipSizeFactorCivilian ;.80
'Ship Size Factor Military - resize factor for maximum military ship sizes
ShipSizeFactorMilitary ;1.2

'Disallowed Research Areas 1,2,3: areas that this race cannot research: 0=None, 1=Torpedoes, 2=Missiles, 3=Area Weapons, 4=Ion Weapons, 5=Fighters, 6=Armor, 7=Hyper Disruption, 8=Sensors
DisallowedResearchArea1 ;0
DisallowedResearchArea2 ;0
DisallowedResearchArea3 ;0

'Additional Intelligence Agents: number of extra intelligence agents allowed above normal limit
AdditionalIntelligenceAgents ;0

'Construction Speed Factor: increase or decrease construction speed. Faster construction speeds can especially affect colonization, allowing fast building of new colony ships. Minimum value = 0.3. Maximum value = 3.0
ConstructionSpeedFactor ;1.0

'Default primary color: 0-19
DefaultPrimaryColor ;2

'Default secondary color: 0-20
DefaultSecondaryColor ;8

'Default flag design: 0-38
DefaultFlagDesign ;25

'Name of ancient home system
HomeSystemName ;Pavallen
'Troop strength: raw strength of new troops for this race. Minimum value = 50. Maximum value = 200
TroopStrength ;146

'Troop name: default troop name, e.g. if 'Strike Battalion' then troops named '1st Strike Battalion', etc
TroopName ;Turian Strike Force

And I'll stop here lol ;p thats half for what would be the Turians. if you're going all out each race will be using 3 Text files. The Race file, the Dialog, and the Behaviors.
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

I think you nailed it. This race should be much like the Turians.

The only things I would reconsider are:
-Republic as gov. (I always imagined Turian gov to be like the ancient Republic of Rome - heavily centralised and focused on military conquest)
-Caution level to 140 (They build the most ships in the council space, and they not too friendly with strangers -first contact war)
-Ship Maintenance to 10 or even 20 (again, they had the largest fleet so they would be experts in mass scale fleet logistics as compared to other races)
-Tech Focus Construction, Rail Guns
-Native planet- yes, desert (as far as I can remember thier homeworld was very harsh and hot)
-Special component - why not super laser?

Not sure about periodic changes. Did Turians had something like that?

Oh, I forgot about adding Quarians in the first release. Also, there's no rush, as I want to wait for ME3 to see how new ships should look like.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Thought about helping a bit:

Turians homeplanet is Palaven. It's a desert planet with weak magnetic field, resulting in high solar radiation, which in turn has caused the Turians to evolve the protecting exoskeleton you can see on them.
Turian goverment is called the Turian Hierarchy. It's described as hierarchical meritocracy. People have loads of freedoms compareable to republics and democracies as long as one does their duty.
Republic would be quite fitting for them, I think. They have been compared to the ancient Rome in many occasions.

If you don't already know, there's heaps of info about every race of ME universe on MEs wiki: Here's a page about Turians.

As a side note: Waiting "patiently" for ME3 too. If nothing else, it sound amazing already.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

Alright glorious, I'll give snippets on theother races, and yeah I was wondering why the Quarians weren't there either lol. and yes JHGT thanks for the reminder, I was doing it off the top of my head, of course I'll be reading the wikis to be more accurate on the files.

and no they did not have any periodic changes as far as I was aware, which is why I set it to 0. I think you should give the Krogans though, and I haven't even gotten into the events...trust me theres ALOT of Variables to toy with that fit pretty nicely.

as for Cerberus, I think this would be a player only thing, just like DW's alternative play suggests with taking intelligence agents and working from a supped up station ;p

Oh and its Elcor! the Cautious hairless Gorilla walkers.

also a thing about Caution, doesn't that set how likely ships are to retreat/engage enemies? wouldnt the Turians have Low caution since they aggro'd a Collector Cruiser?

---------------------------------------

In progress.

Turian
Race file is a at the bear bones done, ,I gave them velocity drive as a special component thats just a place holder, superlasers I feel are suited for the reapers, especially since you said their tech focus was rail guns,yeah I remember ME2 with the Thanix Cannon but they got that from the reapers lol if you want it to be supa lasers then I'll leave it at that. resource bonuses have not been altered, waiting for ideas on that as well as Character starting traits for each archtype Working on Policies as well. the rest to be elaborated on

Asari
in progress, wondering if it should be Republic or Democratic since the cities are Republics working in Democratic fashion >_>
They'll of course get higher boosts to ship sizes(for desinty ascension being the largest ship of the citadel races), Trade, Colony happiness, and espionage as per their description. but if I remember correctly (I have not read it yet) they don't have a standing ground force, just light Commandos, as such their troop strength is lowered significantly.also what would their reproduction rate be..Normal? I gave them Megatron shields, in reference to ME2's Samara's upgrade to the Normandy SR2. essentially it is in the bear bones state just like the Turians

Salarians
in progress, Amphibians, normal reproduction rate, 40% increase in intelligence, normal aggression and 30% increase in caution. I personally suggest this be higher but I await your council on a better number. normal friendliness and loyalty, I gave no bonus to Troop/Ship maintanance nore resource acquitision/Satisfaction/war weariness. research bonus however I gave 30, and 50 to Espionage. since the Salarians have the smallest of the 3 Council races (ME1 time) I gave 10% bonuses. ship focus is efficiency, Tech focus I have not done yet,....I'm thinking sensors and hyper disruption? special tech Raptor Targeting system...I feel this would be better for the Turians..don't know why. they are a feudalism, the rest is to be worked on.

Human Alliance
have not done yet

Geth
Also have not done yet, but....will they be a Hivemind?? and do you want them to be "static" as an empire? meaning they build but don't expand? this way there won't be an economy, I can reduce their trade affinity so they wont interact with other races in that sense, and I can make this as close to the geth as possible, no economy, purely resource gathering. also I suggest they have larger ship scales than normal (even the Asari) but their ship building speed I feel should be reduced, since well thats the impression I get from the ME3 site on Geth Dreadnaughts
Ponicus

Post by Ponicus »

Long time lurker on the forums since I purchased DW:Legends. First time post.

I really want to mod my weapons effects and you provide a great comprehensive package of effects to use, however, you provide lots of different images which can be swapped in and out at will (and not all beam/torpedo files are covered?)

Can you suggest the ones you think work best for the beam and torpedo effects so that they follow some sort of progression and logically match the weapons they are fired from in-game? I'm a little overwhelmed by your mod package which is a large collection of different effects.

There are a few weapon effect mods out there on the forums but can't find one that is a simple "unzip and go play" package, and one that is generally regarded to be the best looking.

Thanks.
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Turian shipset is under construction. Might be a while before it's complete, but I'm taking the time to make ships and textures from scratch to my full (free time) potential. Soon ME turian fans will have an opportunity to write thier own ending of Turian history ;)

*colour sheme inspired by turian frigate ( I like it much more than ivory+darkblue/violet)

Return to “Design and Modding”