OT: Red Tails

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mjk428

RE: OT: Red Tails

Post by mjk428 »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Worst thing is, that Hal guy, from the series "Malcom in the Middle" seems to play
an officer.

That reminds me of Al Bundy playing a police officer in a very serious thriller.
*shudder*

Still I will probably go and watch it with purposefully low expectations.

Ummm....
2002 Emmy Award: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2003 Golden Globes: Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2003 Emmy Award: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2006 Emmy Award: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2008 Emmy Award: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (won)
2009 TCA Award: Outstanding Individual Achievement in Drama – Breaking Bad (won)
2009 Emmy Award: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (won)
2010 SAG Award: Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (nominated)
2010 Emmy Award: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (won)
2010 Golden Globes: Best Performance in a Television Series (Drama) – Breaking Bad (nominated)
2011 Golden Globes: Best Performance in a Television Series (Drama) – Breaking Bad (pending)

He's very likely to be the best thing in an otherwise pretty bad movie.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: mjk428

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Worst thing is, that Hal guy, from the series "Malcom in the Middle" seems to play
an officer.

That reminds me of Al Bundy playing a police officer in a very serious thriller.
*shudder*

Still I will probably go and watch it with purposefully low expectations.

Ummm....
2002 Emmy Award: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2003 Golden Globes: Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2003 Emmy Award: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2006 Emmy Award: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Malcolm in the Middle (nominated)
2008 Emmy Award: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (won)
2009 TCA Award: Outstanding Individual Achievement in Drama – Breaking Bad (won)
2009 Emmy Award: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (won)
2010 SAG Award: Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (nominated)
2010 Emmy Award: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Breaking Bad (won)
2010 Golden Globes: Best Performance in a Television Series (Drama) – Breaking Bad (nominated)
2011 Golden Globes: Best Performance in a Television Series (Drama) – Breaking Bad (pending)

He's very likely to be the best thing in an otherwise pretty bad movie.

Yeah, ok, got it, I was wrong. [:D]

Problem is that German/Austrian television gets spammed by 10 different seasons of Malcom in the Middle,
while Breaking Bad plays probably on one channel at 22:00, if at all.
Sadly.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

HI all,
ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I thought I saw P-51Ds, but according to "Dogfights," the Red Tails didn't fly the bubble-canopy model.

The Tuskegee began receiving first P-51D models in spring of 1945...

How many months did they have them since V-E day was the first week of May!
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
SargeantTex

Post by SargeantTex »

Dont worry Hollywood will completely screw it up they only get half of their warmovies right.
YankeeAirRat

Post by YankeeAirRat »

Offical history has the 332nd FG flying in order the following aircraft
P-40K Warhawks (1943-1944)
P-39Q Aircobras (1944)
P-47D Thunderbolts (1944)
P-51D Mustangs (1944-1945)
Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

the combat scenes are totally BS, no way I'm even thinking about watching this movie. You don't like "the film that shall not be named"? Then please don't go ahead and watch that one, it's the same Hollywood crap.

What tells you Lucas Films? You could as well watch Starwars and discuss if a x-fighter can do such maneuvers. When you see the Me-262 doing such maneuvers inside the bomber formation then this should be enough to stand up and leave the cinema screaming BS. [:-] The more and more special effects are done with computer programming, the more we get away from realism. The most important thing for public are explosions, a hero and a good looking girl. If you want to watch that film for the story, you're better off reading a book.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Maybe they used Star Wars battle scense as concept for Red Tails ACM... [:D]
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

HI all,
Hi all,

I thought I saw P-51Ds, but according to "Dogfights," the Red Tails didn't fly the bubble-canopy model.

March / April 1945?

According to this site:

http://332ndfightergroup.blogspot.com/

In this photo: Benjamin O Davis Jnr pictured on the left with an unidentified airman. The aircraft is 'Creamer's Dream', one of the 332nd's first P-51Ds. According to my records, this P-51 was the personal mount of 1st Lt Charles White of the 301st Squadron, and was accountable for the destruction of two Bf 109s on the 1st April, 1945. (Photo credit: Library of Congress):

Leo "Apollo1"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
decaro

Post by decaro »

HI all,
Hi all,

March / April 1945?

That's not very long for a full-length move -- I wonder if Lucas Films even realize there were previous version of the iconic P-51?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

That's not very long for a full-length move -- I wonder if Lucas Films even realize there were previous version of the iconic P-51?

I don't think that they bothered much with historical realism... [&:]

And why would they? [8|]

We Grognards make 0.000001% of population - except for us and aviation experts nobody else would notice... it is the same thing as with the "Pearl Harbor" movie... we despised it for total lack of historic accuracy while general public loved it... we (as such niche part of the general population) are insignificant for them (the film makers)...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
Sighted typo fixed...

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

even a former girl friend of mine noticed that something like the movie that shall not be named would not be realistic (without me bitching about it). Same goes for most action or war movies, I think it doesn't take much knowledge how stupid all those scenes really are. I think film producers are utter silly because it would not be that hard to make all films (even sci fi) a little bit more realistic.

Just an example, yesterday there was Armageddon shown again on Austrian TV, I zapped through for a short moment, remembering when I saw the film the first time it really has struck me when they said the damned asteroid was moving at 37.000 km/h and now guess when Bruce and company was landing on it to drill a hole into it? Right after it passes the MOON!!!!!

Now let's see, the asteroid is moving at 37.000 km/h, the distance from the moon to Earth is roughly 400.000 km. Leaves 10 hours to see the asteroid passing the moon and detonating on Earth. Quite a short time frame to land on it, drill a whole, fit a lovestory, a drunk Russian spacecowboy, some more action and blow it up with a nuclear weapon to save the Earth. One out of a hundred examples you can make more realistic, even in a sci fi film, while not leaving out any of the action or the love BS. Goes for all films, but I guess as soon as you would end up being realistically, people would be shocked how war, killing people or natural disasters really are.

The only 10 min I remember being in the cinema watching a war movie when people actually got really silent were the first 10 min of Saving Privat Ryan. The rest of the film was as much Oktoberfest as in every other movie.

I can't see a reason why George Lucas, Spielberg, or any other producer/director wouldn't be able to make films at least a little more realistic.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

The only 10 min I remember being in the cinema watching a war movie when people actually got really silent were the first 10 min of Saving Privat Ryan. The rest of the film was as much Oktoberfest as in every other movie.

Actually there are a few, they are just seldom typical Hollywood stuff.
German movies like "Stalingrad", or "Der Untergang" come to mind. I was stunned for some time
after leaving the cinema.

It seems being defeated paints a much clearer picture of how the war really was like. Thats why German
WWII movies are often much deeper than US movies, while US war movies with quality are
usually set in Vietnam area, and not WWII.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

mikkey

Post by mikkey »

yes, Stalingrad is excellent movie
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I've been playing B-17 Queen of the Skies obsessively since I discovered it about 3 months ago and I would much rather have a movie that was about bomber streams than fighters. We might see kill counts that match the claims made by the bombers during the war, but at least the aerial maneuvers would probably be more grounded in reality.

It would even be really Hollywood to build a story around the crew - you've got your stoic captain, the co-pilot that wants to prove himself, the know-it-all engineer, the wisecracking ball gunner, the two brothers manning the waist guns, and of course one of them dies tragically in the arms of the other, the radioman that just wants to go home, and of course the old navigator that's on his final flight before he ends his tour and goes back to his wife and 2 kids (also dies tragically).
SargeantTex

Post by SargeantTex »

Very few Hollywood movies made within the past 30 yrs have gotten it right Saving Private Ryan probably brought out the brutality of war It showed what really happens in war when a artillery round lands next to you you dont fall down and slowly die. more than likely it will blow you to pieces or blow limbs off of you.
I really liked letters from Iwo too few movies from a japanese perspective make it to America have seen some truly excellent movies from japan.
Ddog

Post by Ddog »

Has anyone seen the movie poster? It had 3 Me 262's falling from the skies with P-51's in hot pursuit. The 262's are riddled with bullets and flaming from every orifice....even the nose......which is where they apparently stored the fuel?? ;)

http://www.traileraddict.com/poster/red-tails/2
I'd rather be lucky than good.

mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

It would even be really Hollywood to build a story around the crew - you've got your stoic captain, the co-pilot that wants to prove himself, the know-it-all engineer, the wisecracking ball gunner, the two brothers manning the waist guns, and of course one of them dies tragically in the arms of the other, the radioman that just wants to go home, and of course the old navigator that's on his final flight before he ends his tour and goes back to his wife and 2 kids (also dies tragically).

Yeah. And then they could name the movie after a famous bomber, like the Memphis Belle. Hmmm....

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Has anyone seen the movie poster? It had 3 Me 262's falling from the skies with P-51's in hot pursuit. The 262's are riddled with bullets and flaming from every orifice....

It's a good look for a 262.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Ddog

Has anyone seen the movie poster? It had 3 Me 262's falling from the skies with P-51's in hot pursuit. The 262's are riddled with bullets and flaming from every orifice....even the nose......which is where they apparently stored the fuel?? ;)

http://www.traileraddict.com/poster/red-tails/2
He he...[:D]

Apparently, the only place they didn't store fuel was in the right engine nacelle. That appears unburnt.

Did you notice how the Tuskeegee airmen are walking on the tarmac of an airbase in the poster? Apparently, it's a German aerodrome (Nazi flag flying in the background) with various prop German planes burning whilest groundcrew scamper about.

So, my questions are:

1. Is the drawing to scale? That would make Cuba Gooding Jr. about 125-150 feet tall.
2. Did the Tuskeegee airmen fly for the Germans and they're walking down the tarmac towards their planes? Cause it looks like their boots are on the same ground that the German planes are on.
3. Did the Tuskeegee airmen perform some sort of 'ground op' and sabotage the German airfield prior to calmly walking off towards the camera? Cause that would be cool.

Think I'll catch this one on Netflix streaming in a few months.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”