Think its safe to start with the current beta?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

LoBaron

Think its safe to start with the current beta?

Post by LoBaron »

Is it now "safe" to start a game with the new beta?

I stopped playing completely because the game got updated so fast that I lost overview what is a "nice improvement"
and what is still a serious issue.

Are there any open points that have a high chance to be adressed soon and should I wait another 2-3 weeks?
Hate to launch a game (takes long due to my style of play and time restrictions) if there is still a high probability
of good improvements on short term.
LoBaron

RE: Think its safe to start with the current beta?

Post by LoBaron »

Oh, just found a good answer in another thread. [;)]

Thanks Cauldyth
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
ORIGINAL: nickwwest
[*] The ship design components list moves when you add a component (if it's not top justified). This is a right PITA if you were about to select the component above the selected component.
[*] The ship design screen feels awkward, cramped and not well laid out. Given the number of ships that have to be designed, retrofitted, then manually edited, I must spend a significant portion of my time playing DW on this screen.

Yeah, you haven't been alone in this opinion. Fortunately, the developers have announced a redesign of that screen in the next patch, which is due early this month. Looking forward to it!
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I always update to the latest betas for games I own unless specifically stated that updating would render the saved game useless. As a precaution, however, I also keep the last update version patch (beta or official) along with the current game save, with my game installation files just in case something unforeseen should occur. This concept has worked out for me for well over a decade now with various computer games and allows me to enjoy the latest beta fixes for my games without undo risk.
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Yeah, here's the actual quote from Erik. I'd expect there to be another minor flurry of beta patches shortly, before stabilizing on the official patch.
Hi everyone,

Another update on this.

We're pretty happy with the first official update (1.7.0.6) and the 1.7.0.7 public beta. We feel these both put the game in a pretty good place as far as addressing the vast majority of significant concerns since the release. There are still bugs to fix and tweaks to make to gameplay and balance, but we want the second official update to also include some improvements.

We've discussed some of the ship design improvements aimed at making manual ship design and a mix of manual and automated ship design much easier to manage, including being able to set ship classes to manual or automated control and to set some designs to not retrofit automatically, etc.. We're also planning to make a set of recommended designs external for each of the races, so that we can provide the ship design AI (which currently works from a combination of templates and complex rules that are internal) some optimized designs to use as well for each race. These will also be accessible to the player (and the modder) so that you can encourage the AI to use particular ship designs whenever its technology and resources allow.

These improvements will take a bit longer than planned though and with the loss of a week to the holidays, we are now targeting early January for the first build with these improvements.

In general, there will be a pause in the rapid release of builds as focus is put on making those improvements for the second official update and as the various team members start their holiday vacations. There may be one more public beta this week, after that I would expect the next build in early January with some of the discussed improvements.

Regards,

- Erik

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”