It Pays to Get Decisive Victories Early

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

michael1776

It Pays to Get Decisive Victories Early

Post by michael1776 »

Well I can already see it coming. Here I have slogged through twelve battles or so, to end up with a Marginal Victory in the Overlord scenario, which will most likely secure me a Marginal Victory overall. I just wasn't able to get the all important Decisive Victories early on. The Soviet Union, particularly the Moscow scenario, saw to that. And let me tell you that Overlord is no walk in the park. My initial strategy of rushing everything up, to keep the allies from breaking out of the peninsula, failed miserably in the face of the withering air assault. This left my interceptors destroyed, and any bombers on the map as all but useless. Naturally, with unchecked allied air power my ground units were obliterated. So then I allowed the allies to break out, spread out, and attempted to cut them off piecemeal. This proved to be a difficult strategy, however, it left me most of my airforce intact and I was able to save Paris, and five other objectives from being taken. The whole thing was very close, and culminated in a massive tank battle just south of Paris.

So now I am on to the Ardennes forest once more, with a depleted airforce, far fewer veteran units, and not nearly enough prestige points to matter. Maybe I can salvage enough of the front to keep from having to take a long walk in the woods and the gentleman's way out. Back to the Front...

MJ
Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
Rood

RE: It Pays to Get Decisive Victories Early

Post by Rood »

In the course of the normal campaign I have at least 3 AA units (the infamous '88 of course).

For Overlord, as you experienced already [;)], you should certainly not rush ahead, but move slowly in 3-4 groups (to get/guard each objective) centered around your AA and artillery.
And for me this used to be the first Allied scenario after slugging it out with the Russians so the Allied airpower is quite overwhelming compared to the Russians.

Had to replay the scenario a few times to keep some proper force for the rest of the campaign.

Good luck!

Return to “Panzer Corps”