Research Question

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

rahamundo

Research Question

Post by rahamundo »

What is the consensus opinion (if there is one?) regarding research, as to whether to specialize or generalize? For instance... weapons research....is it better to slowly work your way up each of the different types, i.e. missiles, beams, torps, etc. so that you have each but aren't particularly powerful in any one, or should you pick only one or two and get really good at them before adding others? What about in the other tech areas? Thanks.
Ray
bartomanboy

RE: Research Question

Post by bartomanboy »

At first, pure concentration on colonizations techs. :)
Then, I personally like to make ships use raw power to defeat their foes. i.e. 6 reactors and a bunch of phasers. >:D
I also prefer to play with really high research costs, so it forces you a bit to concentrate research in one branch.

Also, it differs from branch to branch. You really can use most of the high-tech research, so there I seem to generalize a bit more. But you don't need strong lasers, and phasers, and rockets, and plasma torpedoes on your ships... lol
dzilla

Post by dzilla »

If you study the tech tree and the different components, you will notice that some upgrade existing components and some develop new components. If you upgrade an existing component, it is available on all your designs immediately without have to redesign your ships. If you have a new component, you need to change the design of your ships to use the new component in place/in addition to the current component.

Obviously, if you are automating ship design, this is a moot point.

Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

If you are starting a new game and beginning at tech level 1, then I research the beginning weapon techs in all types so that I will have everything available to me. Then I might specialize in one weapon over the other, depending on what my enemies are throwing at me. In Contruction and Energy I will quickly research new reactors until I have Hydrogen ones. I plan to use Caslon for the civilian ships and Hydrogen for my military ones.

I will make a special push to upgrade ship size techs and contruction yard techs. I will work on improving commerse and research techs next. If you get to higher levels of research techs, it will make all future research happen more quickly. Colonization techs are important, too.

FoM
Old............but very fast

Return to “The War Room”