Same Species Independent Colonies

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Lord_Asmodeus

Same Species Independent Colonies

Post by Lord_Asmodeus »

So, I got Legends, and I've noticed something over the course of a few games. All the independent colonies are of the same race, even if all the races are in the game. Is this a bug, or is there a setting to change this? So far I've noticed it in every one of my games. All independent colonies have the same race. Is this on purpose?
bartomanboy

RE: Same Species Independent Colonies

Post by bartomanboy »

I can only say that in my games, there are independent colonies of many different races. With many times some colonies of my own race scattered around the homeworld.

I have been wondering though, that maybe if a certain race is not in-game as a main player, they get spawned as independent colonies? But that's just a guess. :)
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

the independents have more than one race, but they tend to always be clustered near the factions of the same race. so if your playing, for example, human, the only independents you should see at the beginning are human ones untill you get closer to another faction.
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Yep same as the previous two posters said.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

I wish I could say the same. I play as human and I seem to always have bug independents or the reptile guys (Mortain). I play on the largest map against 12 enemy empires, set to no independent empire and always seem to have 2-3 empires literally right on top of me. I got so agitated by this that I sent 3 discovered long range cruisers, exploration ship, 2 long range colony ships to the other side of the galaxy and founded 2 colonies easily. Explored 50 or so systems around the new colonies and never saw another empire.

But sometimes, very rarely, I get 3-4 human empires within a decent range of me. Then I have to start 2-3 wars just to grab those colonies by killing all the other empires colony ships or fending off invasions of the independents waiting for my own colony ship.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

In my experience the independents are distributed in the area of the empire of the same race, except for the human player who generally does not start near their racial independents. I like this. [:)]
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

In my experience the independents are distributed in the area of the empire of the same race, except for the human player who generally does not start near their racial independents. I like this. [:)]

From what I've understood, it's part of the backstory. I think it's nice little touch.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
currierm

Post by currierm »

It seems pretty random to me. Playing as Securans in my current game and I got the Boskarans and Wekkarus near me. Both were fairly far away on the map. The prior game I think it was Mortalens and Ugnaris, or some such thing.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”