Where JTCS went wrong

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

marcbarker

RE: Where JTCS went wrong

Post by marcbarker »

go for it
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

i have 2 pc's an 6 drives and 2 tb backup
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

change the c to j and everything should fire up

I weighed to option of having the bat files read inside the home directory while a static install is in the cs game folder vs...syd install with c drive being the default thereby having this folder anywhere and reading that particular directory to start it
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

Osiris, referring to your opening post, one point struck me - you consider the Finnish Army useless ? 
Regards

Paul Kirkland
Hawk Kriegsman

Post by Hawk Kriegsman »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

OMG, here we go again.... And I play against the AI, BTW... This always coming from people that actually don't do anything constructive to perpetuate the game, just complain, try doing something.

Mike

+2
Hawk Kriegsman

Post by Hawk Kriegsman »

ORIGINAL: osiris

HI

snipped for sanity's sake

Dont come on here and say people didnt try to move the game in the right direction--the game has NOT CHANGED 1 BIT since the it was purchased by MATRIX games...all we got was some window dressing

rene

Sorry you didn't not get what you wanted.

Now go away and let those of us who enjoy the game have our enjoyment.

Best of luck to you in search of a game that you can enjoy.

Thanx!

Hawk

Hawk Kriegsman

Post by Hawk Kriegsman »

I think this needs to be said as to why I have completely stopped playing this game its a culmination of old technology, a company that has little or no forward thinking and design changes that just went wrong

You know I was going to let this drivel go, but I think not. You have a lot of nerve posting this in a very rude way.

I can solve your problem. GO AWAY.
1: Patches-Upto patch 1.02 it was an excellent game and from there it went downhill

There were unadressed issues in v 1.02.
in patch 1.04-

Useless Gimmicks
we have battleships, civilians and all kinds of other useless gimmicks which do not enhance game play..If you want reality then why didnt you include a concentration game icon as well, We have supply depots that do nothing for game play, HQ units that dont work and so on-The most irritating gimmick is Individual snipers ( last time I checked this is a platoon game) why do we need individual snipers!!)

And not one of these items do you have to use. None. In fact I am reasonably sure that the vast majoirty of scenarios around at the time of v1.02 do not have any of these features.
The developers folded to the a minority of players who wanted this crap while ignoring the majority of players

You could not be more wrong but let us continue.
Useless OBs

we have OBs of useless countries which had useless armies- Romania (in fact we have an entire set of scenarios dedicated to that useless army that played such a minor role in the war). Hungarian, Finnish, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian and a few others useless armies that played such a minor role in war

Glad to see you have no clue about the OOBs. Romanians, Hungarians and Yugoslavian OOBs have been in the game since its begining. Any of the other OOBs again you do not have to use.

You also left the French OOB off your list of useless armies. [:D]
close assualt system
This should either have been changed or NOT-Not some stupid comprimise that again made a minority happy and a majority very unhappy
The developers should have had got some back bone and made a decision

There is no comprmise. There is a choice. Extreme Assault or No Extreme assault. This is a win - win. Everyone gets the type of assault they want.
Crummy AI-
This has been a complaint about the game for ages-Unfortunately MATRIX missed the boat on this when they first aquired the game that is when changes should have been made to the game engine before the 1st patch came out

I don't play against the AI so I cannot comment.
Why I want to play AI-ITS CONVENIENT!!!-
I dont want to wait for some stupid human being to send me a turn 1 week or more later that should take 3 minutes to do-Again Panzer corp solved this problem beautifully

With this attitude I can see people lining up to play you.
Is playing humans better-Of course it is but its inconvenient!! and finally unlike Panzer Corp which solved the cheating problem JTCS series did not so again
Matrix missed the opportunity to upgrade the game engine

Go play Panzer Corp then.
Not so visually stunning Graphics-
As the world of computers gets more and more advanced this game is being left in the dust visually-Again there was a chance for Matrix to do this upgrade and they missed the boat

You do realize that most play in 2D? Well at least I think they do.
This game is dying a terrible death because

A MATRIX games missed too many boat to really upgrade this game and

The developers/designers (out of there good heart or whatever the reason was) made the mistake of trying to make everyone happy (especially the minority of players who wanted useless crap in the game

You left off this reason: Because whining sacks like yourself constantly bitch about what they are not getting in the game and doing nothing to help promote the game.

The game was already on life support after TS dropped it. Only the time put in by Jason Petho, Huib, Warhorse and countless other kept the game alive. And they all did this without getting paid and if I am not mistaken the do nopt get paid for their time.
So Im gonna wait for the John Tiller Software to come out with Panzer Battles-a platoon based game and then Im going to toss JTCS series out the window

Good for you. Go buy it and GO AWAY. Enjoy!
I completely understand why people want patch 1.02 it represents the very best of JTCS...so give players the option of having it

No, to you it represents the best of JTCS. To others not so much. It is all subjective.
PS I wont buy/get modern wars because its based on the same graphics and same game engine as JTCS hence the same problems

Excellent, then we will not have pleasure of having you bitch about Modern Wars.

Thanx!

Hawk
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Nice Hawk!
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Awesome, my sentiments exactly!!![&o]

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

OMG, here we go again.... And I play against the AI, BTW... This always coming from people that actually don't do anything constructive to perpetuate the game, just complain, try doing something.

Mike

+3
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
osiris_slith

Post by osiris_slith »

HI

1:You know I was going to let this drivel go, but I think not. You have a lot of nerve posting this in a very rude way.

I can solve your problem. GO AWAY.

Rude by that you mean i disagreed with a bunch of people who have little or no tolerance or disagreement on this forum..NOTHING NEW.anything the designers do or touch on this game is beyond discussion-they are always right..Expressing ones opinion on this forum that disagrees with anything that the designers do is seen as high treason..well thats too damn bad...In case you have not noticed I never said anything negative personally about the designers and others...all I did was question some of the choices they made you are free to disagree..

If you cant handle a criticism then you should go hide under a rock...its not safe out here in the real world people may disagree with what you say or with your ideas!

There were unadressed issues in v 1.02.
Nothing was addressed in patch 1.02..none of the major issues, AI, sound, graphics and so on

And not one of these items do you have to use. None. In fact I am reasonably sure that the vast majoirty of scenarios around at the time of v1.02 do not have any of these features.
My point exactly--nobody uses them...how many scenarios have you played with civillians in it???

Glad to see you have no clue about the OOBs. Romanians, Hungarians and Yugoslavian OOBs have been in the game since its begining. Any of the other OOBs again you do not have to use. You also left the French OOB off your list of useless armies.

Please see the orginal TALONSOFT version before you sart talking nonsense

I don't play against the AI so I cannot comment.
Your in the minority

With this attitude I can see people lining up to play you.
I dont play with humans..

Go play Panzer Corp then.
I do-- you should try it..its fun..might expand your knowledge of games

You do realize that most play in 2D? Well at least I think they do.
Play in 2 D..go play a board game..most people play in 3d hence why there are posts all over the forum for improving the graphics!

You left off this reason: Because whining sacks like yourself constantly bitch about what they are not getting in the game and doing nothing to help promote the game. The game was already on life support after TS dropped it. Only the time put in by Jason Petho, Huib, Warhorse and countless other kept the game alive. And they all did this without getting paid and if I am not mistaken the do nopt get paid for their time.

As I have mentioned they did the best they could..thank you for mentioning the game is on life support because it never got off..We CANNOT promote the game if the company that owns it DOES NOT WANT TOO!!!
Hawk Kriegsman

Post by Hawk Kriegsman »

Rude by that you mean i disagreed with a bunch of people who have little or no tolerance or disagreement on this forum..

No you were rude in your post period. Go look up the definition of rude.
NOTHING NEW.anything the designers do or touch on this game is beyond discussion-they are always right..

Not true. I have disagreed on many occasions with Jason Petho, Huib, on others on the JTCS. There is a way to discuss your gripes on the game and still come off with some tact. You failed. You reap what you so my friend.
Expressing ones opinion on this forum that disagrees with anything that the designers do is seen as high treason..well thats too damn bad...

Yes go figure a game company letting you take a turd on their product, on their website, paid for with their money getting annoyed with people like you from time to time. Wow are the matrix folks unreasonable! [8|]
In case you have not noticed I never said anything negative personally about the designers and others...all I did was question some of the choices they made you are free to disagree..

When you say somthing negative about a man's work you in fact are speaking negatively about the man.
If you cant handle a criticism then you should go hide under a rock...its not safe out here in the real world people may disagree with what you say or with your ideas!

Oh I am pretty sure that the Matrix folks can handle criticism. They let the likes of you post here do they not.
Nothing was addressed in patch 1.02..none of the major issues, AI, sound, graphics and so on

AI, sound and graphics were issues to you, not necessarily to Matrix. It is up to Matrix to decide what they issues are and in what order they get adressed. They bought the liscense, not you.
My point exactly--nobody uses them...how many scenarios have you played with civillians in it???

If majog, warhorse and others who love the DGVN mods are nobody then you are correct. [8|]
Please see the orginal TALONSOFT version before you sart talking nonsense

From the EF2 manual dated 1998. You can find the Finnish OOB starting on page 128, the Hungaian OOB starting on page 156, Allied Romanian OOB starting on page 176, Axis Romanian OOB starting on page 182. Your point (other than the one on your head) was that these usless OOBs were added from version 1.02 to 1.04. You are wrong (again).

Swing and a miss for osiris. [>:]
Your in the minority

I never said I was in the majority and I do not know of any statistical data to back this up. Knowing that Jason Petho is one of the main designers of JTCS and a huge fan of PBEM it should no surprise that he does not do a lot of work on the AI
I dont play with humans..

Or interact well with them either [:D]
I do-- you should try it..its fun..might expand your knowledge of games

I am content with JTCS, but thanks for the offer.
Play in 2 D..go play a board game..most people play in 3d hence why there are posts all over the forum for improving the graphics!

I do not play in 2D. I find that the current graphics get the job done.
As I have mentioned they did the best they could..

No actually you have mentioned that they have done a poor job; did you read your post?
thank you for mentioning the game is on life support because it never got off..!!!

Did you read what I wrote? I said it was on life support after TS dropped it. I think the game is going as fine as can be expected for its age and the type of game it is.
We CANNOT promote the game if the company that owns it DOES NOT WANT TOO

I think you mistyped this/

I believe you meant: WE WILL NOT promote the game if the company that owns it DOES NOT DO WHAT WE WANT. [>:]

Try to have a nice life.

Thanx!

Hawk

osiris_slith

Post by osiris_slith »

HI Hawk

I was not rude..disagreeing or voicing your opinon is not rude (however you are entitiled to your opinion). I am not tactful by nature (I find it to be boring and a waste of time trying to colour bad news with positive images/words)..

Its not a MATRIXs product..Matrix only owns the license..MATRIX did not create JTCS..its a TALONSOFT product produced by TALONSOFT..Jason and his design team own more of JTSC then MATRIX does simply by demonstrating their commitment to it.. If MATRIX wants ownership of it and really make it theres then they should have addressed and still could fix the major issues in the game..

The graphics/sound suffice for some and for others not because there is a boredom with mediocrity. Matrix has no interest in this game..Operational Art of War got a total face lift and then some (that was this year 2011)..they had the money to spend on that on a product that caters to a far smaller audience..I never said the design team did a poor job. I simply indicated that some of the choices were bad/questionable (an opinion!!) other than that most of my criticism of who did a poor job is leveled directly at MATRIX

Simple example of how MATRIX has mismanged this product..They missed the opportunity when Modern Wars was being created. They could have built an entirely new engine with new everything. Relase Modern wars and then release a complete makeover of JTCS

If everyone is so content why are there polls on this forum to revert back to 1.02??? Funny going through some of the other threads the same people who jumped on me in this thread are the same ones who jump on others who dont like people who critize/voiced an opinion that was negative of 1.04..dont you find that intersting? Sorry the masses are not content and we will not shut up

Instead of having a constructive discussion on how to move MATRIX forward on this game we get this instead..growth requires criticism however unpleasent it may be

rene

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Useless OBs
we have OBs of useless countries which had useless armies- Romania (in fact we have an entire set of scenarios dedicated to that useless army that played such a minor role in the war). Hungarian, Finnish, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian and a few others useless armies that played such a minor role in war

Where you from Osiris? I bet from a place that like totally sucks [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Hawk Kriegsman

Post by Hawk Kriegsman »

HI Hawk

I was not rude..disagreeing or voicing your opinon is not rude (however you are entitiled to your opinion).

First of you were very rude. There is a way to voice your opinions and dissent without being a jerk.

Lets take a look as some of your points in you original post shall we?
a company that has little or no forward thinking and design changes that just went wrong

This is rude, especially on that company's website.
Useless Gimmicks

Useless OBs

Again rude. Just because it is of no use to you does not mean it is of no use to others.
Also to insult people's work (by in large unpaid) is rude.
I dont want to wait for some stupid human being to send me a turn

Again very rude to all those who play PBEM and return turns on a daily (or quicker) basis.

I would continue to point out more examples from your original post but that would be overkill.
I am not tactful by nature (I find it to be boring and a waste of time trying to colour bad news with positive images/words)..

Ok so you are a boorish jackj*ss. Thanks for confirming in your own words what most reading this thread can clearly see.
Its not a MATRIXs product..Matrix only owns the license..MATRIX did not create JTCS..its a TALONSOFT product produced by TALONSOFT..

You could not be more wrong. It is a MATRIX product. They did not create it agreed, but they own it lock, stock and barrel.
Jason and his design team own more of JTSC then MATRIX does simply by demonstrating their commitment to it..

Again your inability to understand the obvious astounds me. If MATRIX told Jason to remove Tiger tanks and replace them with white saab converitbles that launch pineapples he would have to do it (yes he could quit his post as another option).

If MATRIX told him no more work on JTCS and no more encrypting user mods, he would have to comply.

I will try this again for you: MATRIX owns the game.
If MATRIX wants ownership of it and really make it theres then they should have addressed and still could fix the major issues in the game..

LOL. Only in your warped little world.
The graphics/sound suffice for some and for others not because there is a boredom with mediocrity.

Then go play a different game. JTCS is not about cool graphics. This is not a first person shooting. It is a strategy game.

Matrix has no interest in this game..

Despite the fact that they maintain this free forum for you to whine on.

Despite the fact that they let Jason and his team work on improving the game.
Operational Art of War got a total face lift and then some (that was this year 2011)..they had the money to spend on that on a product that caters to a far smaller audience..

Was it Matrix staff that did this or volunteers? I have Matrix's opp war and it seems that same as when TS released it.
I never said the design team did a poor job. I simply indicated that some of the choices were bad/questionable (an opinion!!)

Go reread your original post. You absolutely stated they did a poor job.
other than that most of my criticism of who did a poor job is leveled directly at MATRIX

You really are obtuse aren't you? You just stated:
Jason and his design team own more of JTSC then MATRIX does simply by demonstrating their commitment to it..

So you gripe is really with these people. You cannot have it both ways.
Simple example of how MATRIX has mismanged this product..They missed the opportunity when Modern Wars was being created. They could have built an entirely new engine with new everything. Relase Modern wars and then release a complete makeover of JTCS

How is that mismangement? Maybe they are not interested in a new engine. Maybe they like there product. It is your opinion, not fact.

How you truly make your displeasure known to MATRIX is to not buy Modern Wars.
If everyone is so content why are there polls on this forum to revert back to 1.02???

Because version 1.02 has a small dedicated group of diehards that prefer that version. Since that vast majority of people use version 1.04 (confirmed in a poll) those people don't need to put up a poll. Maybe those who use 1.04 will put a poll up wanting to revert back to 1.04 when 1.05 is released. I hope I am alive to see the 1.05 update. [:D]
Funny going through some of the other threads the same people who jumped on me in this thread are the same ones who jump on others who dont like people who critize/voiced an opinion that was negative of 1.04..dont you find that intersting?

Actually the only person who jumped on you on this thread is me.

What I find funny is how someone who had not posted anything regarding JTCS since 9/1/11 decides to crawl out from the wood work on Christmas Eve to drop a troll bomb. Don't YOU find that iunteresting
Sorry the masses are not content and we will not shut up

I do not believe you are the masses. I do believe you will not shut up however.
Instead of having a constructive discussion on how to move MATRIX forward on this game we get this instead..growth requires criticism however unpleasent it may be

Right, you enter the discussion tossing tear gas and flash bangs and then have the gaul to complain.

You would't know a constructive discussion if it smacked you in the head.

Another swing and a miss by osiris. Your down 0-2 in the bottom of the 9th. Do you really want to try again? I am more than happy to embarass you again and put you away.

Balls in your court.

Thanx!

Hawk

wings7

Post by wings7 »

I think it's time to lock this up [8|]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

+1, this is not constructive fellahs!!

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Hawk Kriegsman

Post by Hawk Kriegsman »

+2