Horse drawn supply

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Cavalry Corp

Horse drawn supply

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I see there is a list of trucks etc used

But for both sides is the effect of horse drawn wagons modelled in some way?

I think in 1942 6A for instance had 200-250,000 horses. Luckily ( for the horses) most were outside the pocket when the ring closed.

Cav
BletchleyGeek

RE: Horse drawn supply

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I think in 1942 6A for instance had 200-250,000 horses. Luckily ( for the horses) most were outside the pocket when the ring closed.

In-game "trucks" - or as the official name goes "generic vehicles" - are supposed to account for horse wagons.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

ORIGINAL: cavalry

In-game "trucks" - or as the official name goes "generic vehicles" - are supposed to account for horse wagons.

Where did you get this information from BG?
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Horse drawn which Soviet early war and Germany all war would not be as efficient as trucks especially on the offensive ( although more numerous) and I would have thought be seperated in some way.

This game does go down to these kinds of differences , that is why I was asking.

It could be said that units relying on some horsedrawn like Infantry I imagine would have shorter ranges from railheads for supply than mech units , which I assume have more trucks dedicated?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

We abstracted wagons and horses. For non-motorized units that are abstracted into the system and are built into the supply needs of the units (much higher supply needs for non-motorized than motorized units, but little or no fuel need). A big abstraction for sure given how many horses were used by all sides.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

That, and how the smaller Russian horses were better adapted to conditions than the bigger western ones.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”