I Joined AGEOD's Beta Test Team

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

I Joined AGEOD's Beta Test Team

Post by KG Erwin »

It's been several years since I volunteered to be a beta tester, as I was an OOB designer and article contributor to SPWAW version 8.3 back in 2003-2005. However, since I've fallen in love with BOA2: WIA, I decided to get back into the wargame community as a tester. There are few games I really get excited about these days, but BOA2 is a notable exception, as it covers the wars on the North American continent (and there were many) from 1636 through 1815. With the glut of existing WWII games, it is nice to see another period of history so well represented. Admittedly, it took me several months to get comfortable with the AGEOD game system, but now I'm a believer in its handling of strategic and tactical aspects. For a tactical gamer, it did take some adjustments, but the depth and detail of the game now has me hooked.
Grim.Reaper

RE: I Joined AGEOD's Beta Test Team

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

It's been several years since I volunteered to be a beta tester, as I was an OOB designer and article contributor to SPWAW version 8.3 back in 2003-2005. However, since I've fallen in love with BOA2: WIA, I decided to get back into the wargame community as a tester. There are few games I really get excited about these days, but BOA2 is a notable exception, as it covers the wars on the North American continent (and there were many) from 1636 through 1815. With the glut of existing WWII games, it is nice to see another period of history so well represented. Admittedly, it took me several months to get comfortable with the AGEOD game system, but now I'm a believer in its handling of strategic and tactical aspects. For a tactical gamer, it did take some adjustments, but the depth and detail of the game now has me hooked.

So what's their next game that needs testing:) Any hints?
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Just go over and join up. I'm sure you can find something to get involved with. Since AGEOD and Matrix are intertwined, it's not an issue for me to be promoting their games.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Since AGEOD and Matrix are intertwined, it's not an issue for me to be promoting their games.

Though they are now owned by Paradox.

I've got all the AGE engine games and BOA2 is a particular favourite (as my profile name might indicate) rather disappointed so far by the latest release Pride of Nations, though interested to see what they have got lined up next.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Since AGEOD and Matrix are intertwined, it's not an issue for me to be promoting their games.

Though they are now owned by Paradox.

I've got all the AGE engine games and BOA2 is a particular favourite (as my profile name might indicate) rather disappointed so far by the latest release Pride of Nations, though interested to see what they have got lined up next.

Yes, it is true that AGEOD has been acquired by Paradox, but when I bought BOA2 in 2008, it was being distributed through Matrix.
decaro

Post by decaro »

It's been several years since I volunteered to be a beta tester, as I was an OOB designer and article contributor to SPWAW version 8.3 back in 2003-2005. However, since I've fallen in love with BOA2: WIA ...

I still play the original BoA, although I had purchased other AGEOD titles from the Civil War and WW I, but IMO, BoA was the best of the lot.

Or is BoA2 that much better than its predecessor?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

BOA2 is updated to the latest AGE engine, and has several changes to the earlier game, including the inclusion of American Colonial troops as a separate faction in the French & Indian War, improved AI and many other improvements. There are also several new scenarios, including the FIW Colonial Faction Campaign and Pontiac's War. I don't own the original BOA, so I don't know what all of the specific changes are. However, I will give BOA2 my highest recommendation, and I don't parcel out game recommendations lightly.

For those who are unfamiliar with the AGE engine, the turn results occur simultaneously, with tactical battles being played out by the PC. This is a strategic/operational type game, with month-long turns. However, if you wanna play out an entire war, like the French & Indian War, that's still 104 turns (1755-1763). The units are regiment & battalion sized, so there can be a couple of hundred units to keep track of, plus naval squadrons and many different commanders. There is plenty to do without having to fight out each skirmish, siege and battle, as you set the offensive/defensive profile of each stack before you enter a region (roughly the size of a US county). The entire map covers the eastern US, southern Canada and several "boxes" which include Cuba, the West Indies, and several oceanic regions. Believe me, there is a LOT of game to handle here. However, the in-game "tooltips" are very helpful and informative, and there is a PDF game manual included, which you can print out (as I did).
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

They are also selling their American Civil War game at the Apple App Store.

Attachments
ACW.jpg
ACW.jpg (165.6 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

The seller is Virtual Programming Ltd. Must be under contract with Paradox.

Attachments
ACW2.jpg
ACW2.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I love AARs and the AEGOD games lend themselves awesomely to AARs. I own pretty much all of their titles - WIA2, AACW, PON, ROP, NCP, also WW1Gold and I just got RUS on sale here about 2 weeks ago.

I find I rarely have time to play them the way they should be played, but I still spin them up for a few turns here and there after I have reread an AAR.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
comte

Post by comte »

Did beta work with them before it wasn't fun enjoy!
Nebogipfel

Post by Nebogipfel »

Don´t forget Great Invasions and WW1 Gold, although not typical AGEOD games, they are great too.
Little diamonds with rough edges [;)].

At the moment I´m not playing anything else......

Personally I´m sick of playing the 25th version of the battle of the bulge, east-front or whatever .......

So I´m glad AGEOD is still alive, with or without Paradox.

Return to “General Discussion”