Scanner jammer worthwhile?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Webbco

Scanner jammer worthwhile?

Post by Webbco »

I've been sticking a scanner jammer on all of my cruisers at the moment but just been asking myself whether there's any strategic value to it?

So what if the AI "finds out" what components are on my ships? Does it prioritise what ships it attacks first in a battle based on what components ships have?
tjhkkr

RE: Scanner jammer worthwhile?

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Webbco
Does it prioritise what ships it attacks first in a battle based on what components ships have?

I cannot answer definitively...
The enemy usually goes after my AWACs ships (Long Range sensors/short range stuff as well), but I cannot tell you if it is because it is the largest ship in the fleet (size 298 out of 300) OR because it has certain technology aboard. I thought about making a dummy ship (size 300) with armor for the enemy to shoot up, but so far have never done it.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I assume the ai can make a judgment about firepower vs defense of all your ships and respond appropriately by shattering your glass cannons before your armored fleet admiral yacht.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Well, it would not be an Admiral Yacht... more like a decoy...
The answer is; I do not know; I have not tried it... maybe it would, maybe it would not...
If it went after the AWACs ship, it certainly was not based on firepower or defensive power; it is a lightly armed (by comparison to the rest of my ships), and though well shielded, no more so than the rest of my destroyers.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The a.i does not counter your designs so there is little point.
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

Surely they have to prioritize it somehow? Otherwise it's kind of silly in a single player game.

I know they will attack the weakest ships first. Could it go deeper than that? I suspect so..
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

So a scanner jammer is more for RP purposes and does not have much practical use on player designed ships? Elliot or Erik, could you confirm this please?
Ares106

Post by Ares106 »

ORIGINAL: Webbco

I've been sticking a scanner jammer on all of my cruisers at the moment but just been asking myself whether there's any strategic value to it?

So what if the AI "finds out" what components are on my ships? Does it prioritise what ships it attacks first in a battle based on what components ships have?

just wait until multiplayer comes out [;)]
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Well it stops the player looking at the a.i designs so it has a purpose.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Well it stops the player looking at the a.i designs so it has a purpose.

Ahhh... that actually IS somewhat useful!
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

I know it might have purpose in that respect (IF the AI does in fact use it on their designs) but my question was really for the player designs. 

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”