Russian Pig Cavalry

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Peltonx

Russian Pig Cavalry

Post by Peltonx »

The Cav thing is a beast that only a few russian players have messed around with to-date.

Question #1 Why do they not require fuel?

Russian answer: Its all horses or mostly horses so they require little or no fuel, ammo or supplies they live off the land.

Question #2 why do horse divisions have same cv as German mech divisions?

Russian answer: It was really not all horses, but AT guns, trucks, atrillary ect ect.

Another shinning example of the Russian side getting to have its cake and eat it to.

Russian Pig Cavalry: Its as fast as panzers, requires no fuel and they sht 122mm ap rounds.

I am thinking this is just not historical.

Feel free to keep them as is in game, but can I atleast get a none circular answer to questions 1 and 2?

Pelton

[&o]1+1=2[&o]

Now I just need a picture of pigs running faster then tanks and shtiing 122mm rds at a tiger tank.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Schmart

RE: Russian Pig Cavalry

Post by Schmart »

You really need to tone down the hyperbole in your posts. It's bordering on trolling...
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

The Cav thing is a beast that only a few russian players have messed around with to-date.

Question #1 Why do they not require fuel?

Russian answer: Its all horses or mostly horses so they require little or no fuel, ammo or supplies they live off the land.

Question #2 why do horse divisions have same cv as German mech divisions?

Russian answer: It was really not all horses, but AT guns, trucks, atrillary ect ect.

Another shinning example of the Russian side getting to have its cake and eat it to.

Russian Pig Cavalry: Its as fast as panzers, requires no fuel and they sht 122mm ap rounds.

I am thinking this is just not historical.

Feel free to keep them as is in game, but can I atleast get a none circular answer to questions 1 and 2?

Pelton

[&o]1+1=2[&o]

Now I just need a picture of pigs running faster then tanks and shtiing 122mm rds at a tiger tank.

Yes, an AT gun consumes a lot of fuel...
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Actually, it's your infantry they are outrunning. If you stood your ground and dug in, the cavalry wouldn't be as effective. It will of course murder you infantry running in the open in blizzard conditions.

I have reservations about Soviet cavalry, but your own blizzard runaway tactics are making it that much more effective. You can run, but you can't hide.

WitE Alpha Tester
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Listen, Flavius, you are on the side of nerfing cavalry: that's all that needs to be said.

Your conservatism for reigning in the Soviet abuse of game mechanics is well known.  If even you think something Soviets do is over-powered, it's beyond over-powered, it is being abused for unrealistic gain. 
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

I'm against just nerfing cavalry, as I would prefer other solutions. Nerfing cavalry is also a non-solution.

Again, I can only stress that cavalry corps CV's (purely the corps) are not impressive. 4 for 41 and 42 cavalry corps at 50 morale/experience, 6 at 60 morale/experience. The 43 cavalry corps get 87 T-34's, so they have a CV of 7 at 50 morale/experience and 10 at 60 morale/experience. It's mostly the tanks that increase CV.

Over time, the CV will increase further as morale will increase, so in late 1943/1944 they might be as good as German mobile units, but to me that is not a problem of cavalry corps being too good, but of Soviet national morale of 60 being too high in combination with Guards and unit or HQ type national morale bonuses.

As an easy fix to make them less good in the blizzard: make sure the blizzard MP reduction doesn't apply to them, as they already get the cavalry bonus.

In any case, they're not as good as German mobile units, not by a long shot, and they're not as mobile either. They're often "as mobile as Soviet mobile units" because those rarely have full fuel tanks or good enough morale for deep penetrations. Keep in mind that due to the reduced MP cost for cavalry to move into enemy hexes, they pay the same MP costs as a Soviet mobile unit 1 morale "level" lower than them (for example: a 71> morale Soviet mobile unit pays the same enemy hex entry MP costs as a 56>/<71 morale cavalry unit). Cavalry units also get some additional mobility indirectly due to not being motorized, which makes travelling through difficult terrain easier.

They are not a war winning weapon by themselves, the Rifle units will still have to do most of the work, but they can be quite good as exploitation units and in the first blizzard, mostly because relative to the poor CV's of other Soviet units, the CV is reasonably good (with support units attached).

Simply put: I doubt most people would consider them to be powerful in the first blizzard if Soviet CV's weren't so low.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Pieter, they are more mobile through ZOCs, thanks to their cav bonus. I'm pretty sure a high morale, late war GCC can pierce through ZOCs as effectively or more than a panzer. And they can handle terrain better. On an administrative road march, sure, the 50 mp panzer division wins, but most the time it's not that kind of march and not that many mps.

But ultimately it's their lack of reliance on logistics that make them so dangerous. Nothing will beat their sustainable march rates. (Interestingly, I believe that Genghiz Khan still holds the record in this regard. So maybe the game isn't as crazy about this as it seems. Still.)
WitE Alpha Tester
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

. (Interestingly, I believe that Genghiz Khan still holds the record in this regard. So maybe the game isn't as crazy about this as it seems. Still.)

You beat me too that.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

They are more mobile than their Soviet counterparts, certainly, but I can't really think of many situations where they'll reliable outperform a 86> morale German mobile unit in clear terrain provided the mobile unit has fuel (and keeping the Panzers at around 30 MP's is possible for a while). They can move through one or more ZOCs, but they still have a maximum of 22 MP's and as the Soviets don't have corps HQ's, it will be difficult to keep them in command range unless you assign them to airborne corps HQ's or the like so you have pseudo-Panzer Corps.

When defending, it doesn't really matter that you don't have corps HQ's as the Soviets, but when you're attacking and trying to keep all units in command/supply range, you'll miss corps HQ's.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

My experience is that they can be kept up at 16 MP minimum more or less indefinitely until they are in the red zone for supply. That doesn't sound like a lot. But it's huge because it's each and every turn. In an exploitation situation they need to be run down by the enemy, they will not stop off their own accord due to lack of supply for all practical purposes.

They can also hit their maximum MP a lot more frequently than mech units.
WitE Alpha Tester
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

That's true, but that has more to do with flaws in the logistics system than with anything else.

In terms of sustained mobility, they're better than Soviet mobile units, I just disagree with Pelton that they're as good as German mobile units, at least not before getting some impressive morale in late 1943/1944.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Actually, it's your infantry they are outrunning. If you stood your ground and dug in, the cavalry wouldn't be as effective. It will of course murder you infantry running in the open in blizzard conditions.

I have reservations about Soviet cavalry, but your own blizzard runaway tactics are making it that much more effective. You can run, but you can't hide.

I know your not stupid so I will assume your just being a smart ass.

As we both know Cav units dont make a hole.

Infantry and mech push back one the north side and south side of a hex. The cav hit the units again that retreated. Cav units can also do this if you hit the right spots.

Now the unit is not cut off, but during its turn it can only retreat 1 hex, so its gets cut off the following turn.

Now you do this at 5 to 8 spots along line and you get 50% of the units you were tring for.

This goes on turn after turn for 16 turns sunshine. which equals 30ish units bagged by Russian.

Kamil did this some vs me but with no wheres the skills TDV20 has.

Its an easy tactic I find most russian players are compleatly ignorant of thankfully, including you I guess Flaviusx,

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

That's true, but that has more to do with flaws in the logistics system than with anything else.

In terms of sustained mobility, they're better than Soviet mobile units, I just disagree with Pelton that they're as good as German mobile units, at least not before getting some impressive morale in late 1943/1944.

During blizzard ComradP they are far far better then any mobile unit.

They can easyly with the help of strong units trash any german defence including when your retreating 2 hexes per turn.

Thye simply hassy attack.

They lose allot of men as per the Germans during 42, but the pocket units more then make up for the losses.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

If more russian did this they find themselves having easyer Marchs.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Also they can run far past railheads and suffer no ills for low supplys.

They live off the land with there lt tanks, at guns and art.

No answer on my 2 questions?

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I know your not stupid so I will assume your just being a smart ass.

As we both know Cav units dont make a hole.

Infantry and mech push back one the north side and south side of a hex. The cav hit the units again that retreated. Cav units can also do this if you hit the right spots.

Now the unit is not cut off, but during its turn it can only retreat 1 hex, so its gets cut off the following turn.

Now you do this at 5 to 8 spots along line and you get 50% of the units you were tring for.

This goes on turn after turn for 16 turns sunshine. which equals 30ish units bagged by Russian.

Kamil did this some vs me but with no wheres the skills TDV20 has.

Its an easy tactic I find most russian players are compleatly ignorant of thankfully, including you I guess Flaviusx,

Pelton

EDITED as I had got all wrong: alrite, I got it now! They attack the hexes north and south of the chosen victim. Nice! Yes, it has to work. Ahhh, human creativity. Kudos to TDV [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

The Germans should not lose a single division until 1943 minimum. There's indeed a problem here.

You're 100% right on this one, Pelton.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

The Germans should not lose a single division until 1943 minimum. There's indeed a problem here.

You're 100% right on this one, Pelton.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I shoulda been a millionaire.
I woulda been one, if I married rich.
I coulda been one, if I spent more time working and less time playing games.

What cosmically vital rule did I miss out on regarding why Germans shouldn't lose a single division until 1943 minimum?
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Not as high of profile, but the Russian Mountain units can also be very deadly during the blizzard as well due to their mobility and they can hit very hard for Russian units. They have the ability to run rings around regular Russian infantry when moving in enemy territory.
randallw

Post by randallw »

I believe some German units in the blizzard were ground down, though this is much different from the mass encirclement of Stalingrad.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”