Request for Additional Beta Testers

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bredsjomagnus

RE: Request for Additional Beta Testers

Post by bredsjomagnus »

Steve, have you recieved any PM from me?

I´ve tried to send a PM twice but im not sure it gets through. I get a network problem message when I press send?!

/Magnus
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: bredsjomagnus

Steve, have you recieved any PM from me?

I´ve tried to send a PM twice but im not sure it gets through. I get a network problem message when I press send?!

/Magnus
No I haven't. Try email: SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

This round of applying to be a beta tester is now closed (September 10, 2010).

My thanks to all that applied.
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

[Acknowledgment: I copied most of this from the first post in this thread.]

I am looking to add ~4 beta testers. The current set of beta testers are putting in a lot of time and keeping me very busy, but I would like to get a few sets of fresh eyes looking at how the program executes.

If you are interested, then you should read the rest of this post and, if you are then still interested, simply post your reply within this thread.

I will leave this solicitation open for 9 days (through to March 28th, 2011) and then evaluate everyone that has posted a reply.
-----------------
Before you reply to this post please consider the following:

Software testing is quite different from ‘playing’ the game. The focus of testing is not in playing the game per se, but in working as a team to help produce a great product.

Software testing takes time. Four to six hours every week (preferably across 2 or more sessions) is a reasonable estimate of the time required for a tester to stay in the loop on what’s happening and to give the software a good workout. If you are hoping to squeeze in just an hour of testing each week on a Sunday night somewhere between dinner time and watching the news, it just won't work. There won't be enough time to pick up the concepts of the game, download the latest patches, read & contribute to the private MWIF Development Forum and play through the game looking for bugs. Spending more time testing is obviously better, but only if you can keep good records of what you have tested and send me complete reports on any problems you have found. Telling me "it doesn't work" is a useless bug report.

Software testing takes patience. Testers are expected to respond to reasonable requests from the developer (that's me[8D]) to provide information about any problems they find. Sometimes that means running through the same boring ten minute long sequence of events half a dozen times and documenting the results so that you can help me reproduce the problem on my own computer.

If you have the time and energy to help, then please reply to this post, providing the following information:

1. Any previous experience testing software.

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames (we strive for equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
a. Newbie - Never played WiF (but it looks great)
b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago)
c. Average - Currently playing WiF on a regular basis
d. Grognard - Rules guru

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's version of computerized World in Flames).
a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

4. Your PC specification. (just the basics):
a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s)

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM.

If you are not sure how to find the specifications of your computer, then please ask.
-----------------
Thanks!

Steve

Braedonnal

Post by Braedonnal »

WiF has always been a favorite of mine and I'd love a chance to lend a hand.

1. I've tested numerous software titles over the years though I haven't tested any wargames/strategy games with the the exception of the Europa Universalis series.

2. Recruit - There was a time I played heavily but not in the last few years (devilish pets and toddlers)

3. None

4a. 3.33 GHz i7 980x
4b. 6 GHz RAM
4c. Win 7 Ultimate
4d. 1920x1200

5a. Yes, a quad core gaming laptop (circa 2008) capable of the same reso above.
5b. No, but it is easy enough to make another secure email acct.

If there is anything else you need to know, feel free to PM me.
If a country can't save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say: Let the damned thing go down the drain!
Villain

Post by Villain »

Very long time lurker coming into the light... it burns...

1 -
My previous employment required writing scripts and testing procedures for custom software using Loadrunner 8. A very long ago I helped test ADC2 AETO (Advanced European Theater of Operations) I'm in the credits somewhere.

2-
b. Recruit. Grognard 15+ years ago. The ping-pong tabletop in the spare bedroom had to go when I got married :)

3-
a. None.

4-
a. Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.00GHz 3.6GHz (I've overclocked to 3.6GHz)
b. 8 GB
c. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating System
d. 1680 x 1050 Single Dell E228WFP Monitor

5-
a. no.
b. yes.
lordzyplon

Post by lordzyplon »

1. No software testing experience. I have ~3 years of computer programming experience, and I can do basic debugging routines.

2. c, average. I've been playing WiFFE for five or six years now.

3. None.

- Intel Q9300 (2.5GHz, 4 cores)
- 8 GB DDR2
- Windows 7 Professional x64
- 1600x1200 and 1440x900

(a) Possibly. My second machine is a Toshiba NB205 running Ubuntu - it's probably underpowered, but I enjoy trying to make games run on it. In addition, I may pick up a new laptop relatively soon.
(b) Yes.

Thanks for the chance to help out make this game great!
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

I've got some time open now (10 hrs/week) and that will last at least through fall and would like to help.

1. No game testing, but 20 years of corporate finance. Used to data base management and reporting functions (Crystal Reports for the last 10 years), as well as complex spreadsheets.

2. A (Newbie) Own final edition and set up the Pacific scenario and played around with it for a couple of months before realizing it could not be played in solitaire mode.

3. None

4. a) AMD Quad core 3.40 GHz
b) 8 GB RAM
c) Windows 7 Home Premium
d) 1280 x 1024

5. a) Have of couple of "old" computers with XP still laying around. (Used for backup storage at present)
b) Multiple email accounts (hotmail, comcast)
collegeprof

Post by collegeprof »

I am not working right now, so can devote a ton of time.
1) Beta tester for the following: Battlefield Academy (through Slitherine a year ago), Making History - 1 (before MH2 and before MH Gold), Beta tester for Windows 7 a few years ago. I own like a dozen matrix games currently.

2) Newbie to WIF, but I have been playing board games since the 1970s, and computer PC games since the 80s.

3) zero

4) windows 7, Ultimate edition, 64-bit, triple quad AMD core 2.2 Ghz, 4.00 GB Ram, resolution i run at 1600 x 900

I would love to help out, and although zero background with WIF, I have experience with time of wrath, World at war (gary grisby), making history, strategic command and the expansions, empire, third reich, and others over the years....
Helping others is the greatest reward
Consider donating to UNICEF
slinkytwf

Post by slinkytwf »

Professional QA Engineer, 15+ years experience with small and large companies. Profile available at http://www.linkedin.com/in/dougpowers

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames
b. Recruit - (played a lot a long time ago)

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's version of computerized World in Flames).
a. None

a. CPU speed 2.5GhZ Quad i7
b. RAM 9 GB
c. Operating system Windows 7 Professional
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s) 1920x1080.

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM.
(Unable to test within those parameters)
skellien

Post by skellien »

Eight years QA software testing including five years security testing network and file format protocols. Has anyone looked over the PBEM/network protocols for security bugs yet?

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames (we strive for equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)

Average - Currently playing WiF on a regular basis

Over 10 years regular playing of CWIF (still playing :)

a. CPU speed 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo
b. RAM 8 Gb
c. Operating system Linux and XP Pro dual boot and VirtualBox running XP Pro.
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s): 1440 x 900.

I have several high-spec laptops and many email accounts for the task.
Shannon V. OKeets

This round of requests for Beta Testers is now closed - as of March 29, 2011.

Later today I will inform those volunteers whom I have accepted as beta testers.
Steve

collegeprof

Post by collegeprof »

Thank you Shannon for all the work you do... :)
[8D]
Helping others is the greatest reward
Consider donating to UNICEF
Shannon V. OKeets

All 4 of the volunteers whom we asked to be beta testers, have accepted:
Braedonnal, LordZyplon, Cad908, and CollegeProf.

I thank the rest of you who offerred to help.[&o]

[I can only handle so many many beta testers at one time - some days they are like snarling lions and I have to use a whip and chair.]
Steve

Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

I realize I missed finding this site by a week, but I'm going to post anyway, hoping for a chance at the next (if) round or an exception to add me. I sent an email to possibly the wrong person before I found this thread. My answers:

1. No previous testing experience, unless you count years of building my own user mods of numerous games.

2. I own WiF Deluxe and a the Politics in Flames Annual. Never found a group to play with in over a decade.

3. Downloaded the free version (beta, I think) but found it difficult to use without table experience.

4. Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @2.16GHz (2 CPUs)
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
2042MB RAM
1280x800 display

5. No other useful computers in the house, but could arrange to use one of similar specs for 8-10 hours a week with no trouble at all. Likewise for email accounts. Also can probably borrow a netbook at the same time.

(6) I have practically unlimited time resources to devote to the project. In addition to the 8-10 hours I could find for 2+ computers, I can (and would be happy to) devote anywhere from 40-80 hours a week to playtesting and attempting to find/replicate troublesome situations. Additionally, I have professional experience as a proofreader for published materials that find come in handy even if you don't need my services as a tester.
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
DimiDesk

Post by DimiDesk »

Hi Shannon...

I'm interresting to become a beta-tester for this crazy game !!

1. Any previous experience in testing software.
I'm working in IT developpment. I now very well Delphi XE. Sometimes, I writes some testing scenarios for my job... But, not in the case of a game, well for business programs....

a. Newbie - Never played WiF but it looks great
b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago) - this is best describing me... have played many many board games just not any WiF in a long time...
d. Grognard - Rules guru

The difficulties is to found players and some place to play... So, I have already play the Barbarossa and Guadalcanal scenarios last year with a friend...
About the rules, I think that I know them very well because the reading of the rules is so simple : no need of player and place...

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames).
a. None
b. Some - I think I still have this somewhere... you mean the Alpha right?
c. A lot

I bought CWif. This is very good to understand the game... I play the Barbarossa, Guadalcanal and Global 39 scenario in hotseat... Always alone, never with a real opponent...

a. CPU speed - Core 2 duo 2,6 GHz
b. RAM - 4 GB
c. Operating system - Windows seven family edition
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s) - 1680x1050

Cheers,

Dimi.

Dimi
RJL5188

Post by RJL5188 »

i would love to beta test this game.

Previous experience: Have beta tested StarCraft 2 as well as numerous other computer games.

I have the board game of WIF and CWIF

CPU Speed: ATI dual core processor 2.75 GHZ. 7GB RAM. Windows 7. 1920x1080 screen resolution.

Now i understand its good to look for beta testers that have experience. But, IMO u also need beta testers who will make up 99.9 percent of something that is the MOST importaint thing to your company. The PLAYER! Which is what i am. I will see things that the basic programmer will not. The actual FUN and ENJOYMENT of the game. That is what I will give u in full reports.

Robert L.

PS. Happy Holidays!
"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Dimi

Hi Shannon...

I'm interresting to become a beta-tester for this crazy game !!

1. Any previous experience in testing software.
I'm working in IT developpment. I now very well Delphi XE. Sometimes, I writes some testing scenarios for my job... But, not in the case of a game, well for business programs....

a. Newbie - Never played WiF but it looks great
b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago) - this is best describing me... have played many many board games just not any WiF in a long time...
d. Grognard - Rules guru

The difficulties is to found players and some place to play... So, I have already play the Barbarossa and Guadalcanal scenarios last year with a friend...
About the rules, I think that I know them very well because the reading of the rules is so simple : no need of player and place...

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames).
a. None
b. Some - I think I still have this somewhere... you mean the Alpha right?
c. A lot

I bought CWif. This is very good to understand the game... I play the Barbarossa, Guadalcanal and Global 39 scenario in hotseat... Always alone, never with a real opponent...

a. CPU speed - Core 2 duo 2,6 GHz
b. RAM - 4 GB
c. Operating system - Windows seven family edition
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s) - 1680x1050

Cheers,

Dimi.

Dimi & Rjl518,

We might be adding more beta testers in February. If we decide to do so, I'll post a request to this thread and give those who are interested ~10 days to respond.

I do not keep a list of people who are interested in beta testing because I have found that their interest often wanes between when they express an interest and when I request more beta testers. Instead, I simply post a request and see who responds at that time.

By checking into the forum once a week, you can be assured that you will not miss my post requesting new beta testers.
Steve

RJL5188

Post by RJL5188 »

i will be loking forward to it...Sir!
"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)
Shannon V. OKeets

[Acknowledgment: I copied most of this from the first post in this thread.]

We are looking to add a dozen beta testers starting in March. The current set of beta testers are keeping me busy, but I would like to get a few sets of fresh eyes looking at how the program executes. We also will need more people for testing NetPlay (i.e., playing over the internet).

If you are interested, then you should read the rest of this post and, if you are then still interested, simply post your reply within this thread.

I will leave this solicitation open for 8 days (through to February 28th, 2012) and then evaluate everyone that has posted a reply.
-----------------
Before you reply to this post please consider the following:

Software testing is quite different from ‘playing’ the game. The focus of testing is not in playing the game per se, but in working as a team to help produce a great product.

Software testing takes time. Six or more hours every week (preferably across 2 or more sessions) is a reasonable estimate of the time required for a tester to stay in the loop on what’s happening and to give the software a good workout. If you are hoping to squeeze in just an hour of testing each week on a Sunday night somewhere between dinner time and watching TV, it just won't work. There won't be enough time to pick up the concepts of the game, download the latest patches, read & contribute to the private MWIF Development Forum and play through the game looking for bugs. Spending more time testing is obviously better, but only if you can keep good records of what you have tested and send me complete reports on any problems you have found. Telling me "it doesn't work" is a useless bug report.

Software testing takes patience. Testers are expected to respond to reasonable requests from the developer (that's me[:)]) to provide information about any problems they find. Sometimes that means running through the same boring ten minute long sequence of events half a dozen times and documenting the results so that you can help me reproduce the problem on my own computer. If I can't reproduce it, I can't fix it.

If you have the time and energy to help, then please reply to this post, providing the following information:

a. Newbie - Never played WiF (but it looks great)
b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago)
d. Grognard - Rules guru

a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s)

If you are not sure how to find the specifications of your computer, then please ask.
-----------------
Thanks!

Steve
Steve

Return to “World in Flames”