Common Questions or advice

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: doomtrader

Zovs

Common Questions or advice

Post by Zovs »

Despite all my grips and grumpiness with this game I really do like it, despite its warts.

What is the best use of splitting or merging units?

My instincts tell me to merge units into larger ones all the time since you are restricted in the stacking aspect. Sometimes (have not got past 1940) this is hard to do since units have to be like sized and using the same photo (I am using the color mod). Also, re-reading the manual maybe merging units is a bad idea since only part of the strength is merged, not sure if its a good or bad idea yet.

Same with splitting up units, it seems this may be a better idea, but the manual is not really helpful here. In fact that is the main problem with the manual, it says something like "click this button to merge a unit, units must be the same size and type", not really all that helpful what is the benefit of splitting a unit other then creating a new one, does the effectiveness go up or down, what about experience, which unit gets the leader if present how does or will this help me in the game or should I just guess and figure it out as I go?

ATP, is there such a thing (Air Transport Points), I have not seen one listed for production, I created an airborne division and not sure how to use them other then by land.

I am using the counters for the combined Nato icon mode thing, and the yellow circle I think is the number of AP left, not sure what the blue circle means.

The Naval aspect kind of works as is, I have my wolf-packs out hunting convoys and am getting some good results and I got some tac-air on the Northwest German coast hitting and sinking some British shipping (Task Forces) but I have my own TF with a pocket battleship and 1-3 CA's out in sea but there is not way to actively engage the Royal Navy. So I just let them sit and I have to wait for it to magically happen. In the tutorial it had me fight the Polish Navy and I was like oh cool. But I have played 20 turns and not once ever seen any of these Navy screens in action. So is the Naval game broke or what?

Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
doomtrader

RE: Common Questions or advice

Post by doomtrader »

I'll just answer the naval battles question.

This feature is turned off by default.
Go to the preferences menu, choose gameplay tab, and unthick autoresolve naval battles button.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Ah thanks on the Naval bit.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

I'm glad you found out the way to use submarines.

Merging helps when you don't want to withdraw but want to supply the unit with replacements from the rear.

New replacements = lost experience
Merging uses experience from the other unit.

Can you see the benefit of a merge now?

I believe that is in the manual, or it was at one time.

Splitting cost more in PP and time.

Depending upon the map and combat conditions it may be worth splitting a unit.

This was a hotly debated and contested feature in design and development.

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Ah, says the blind man on merges.. I have been doing it wrong..lol.

I like the feature, just not sure how best to implement it.

I have been replacing all my front line units when they drop below 4.5 to like 3 or so cause it's cheap, but did not realize it was impacting experience. My tac air have been taking a beating and when they get to 4 or 5 I raise them back up to 6 or 7.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

What does the ammo crate city icon mean? The manual displays the city icons, but does not label them. The Victory City Port and MSS are pretty clear, at least after looking at the hex display but what is this?

Attachments
CItyIconammocrate.jpg
CItyIconammocrate.jpg (3.96 KiB) Viewed 373 times
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

umm.. I thought that was in the manual. It means the city is a supply resource. The yellow factory Icon is for PP, the blue anchor for port, the Red exclamation
mark is for Victory points.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

It may just be something left over from development that wasn't implemented. It doesn't appear to be related to supply, there are few of these icons and lots of cities have supply. As far as I can tell it doesn't do anything.

Thanks for the quick reply its good to know at least that am not missing something completely obvious. I suppose there may be events linked to them or something, but I just don't see it.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

This icon means that this is only resource location, so not a city which distributes supply, only producer of PP.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Is there a way to take a screen shot inside the game? I would like to take a screenshot without switching to windowed mode. Didn't see it on the hotkeys list. PrtScr just gets me a big black box with a small anchor icon when I press it in game.

- Thanks
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Normal print screen is not working with the game.
Personally I'm using FRAPS to make full screen screenshoots
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Control print screen.
Paste into paint
Save as Jpeg
Post here
No need to be in window mode.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Must be my setup acer aspire laptop to HDMI monitor just get this...

Attachments
Dang.jpg
Dang.jpg (2.65 KiB) Viewed 373 times
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

No need for further info just was hoping there was a hotkey inside the game. I can switch to windowed mode or snap a shot with my phone[:D]
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Hi guys
Bought this game today and try to learn from scratch. Got some questions thou.
Scrolling seems to kick in when pointing on icons close the side like mullberry and the icons on right side and the map rushing away when I need it in visual controll. How to lower the scroll speed or even the sinsiveness off edges?

Also my combat reports, scrolled ones and on one page seems to lack visuality on half last row, why is that?

Also I got a training question: As merge you dont loose experience over the reinforcements bit I wonder if a unit only gain xp from fight or even from garrison or other types of non combat? I thinking that that was so I could have training cadres improving their skill before merging into their new unit.

I probably got more questions further on but seems to be a game to occupy me for a while. (a year or two [;)] )

oh by the way, in the ad on matrix site it says it cover 1939 to 1944 and in the game setup is says go to 1948. Hopefully -48 is the right date.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Learn to use the hot keys, no scrolling to use the menu on the right, sorry....

No training, only exp from combat

1948 is the date
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Hi
For me I got scrolling when moving to the right and hitting meny buttons on the right, maybee need to slow mouse movement a bit I guess. How about the last line then? I even got half a line when shoocing scenario. Maybe other graphic solution can fix?
SwedeWolf

wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Im in mars -40 and waiting for fall gelb. Got a tankcorp sitting behind the border in hight with amsterdam. Having it attacked now for the last 4 month. Costing me around 200 pp in repair for it and the 3 fighter adjacent to it.
I can reach the air units as I guess they attacking over neutral territory. Its a oneway combat I think. Does it work as designed?
SwedeWolf

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf

Hi
For me I got scrolling when moving to the right and hitting meny buttons on the right, maybee need to slow mouse movement a bit I guess. How about the last line then? I even got half a line when shoocing scenario. Maybe other graphic solution can fix?

You might wish to check this thread:
tm.asp?m=2974104
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Gadwin's PrintScreen has a freeware version for printing the screen,

Return to “The War Room”