Crash on startup

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

CaBhaal

Crash on startup

Post by CaBhaal »

I'm getting a consistent crash while trying to start Distant Worlds: Legends. I'm patched up to 1.706. I get the message "Distant Worlds has stopped working" when I start the game.

The Windows Error Dialogue gives the following info:

escription:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: distantworlds.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.7.0.6
Problem Signature 03: 4ee15118
Problem Signature 04: System.Drawing
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ca2bad4
Problem Signature 07: 144
Problem Signature 08: 14
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

The CrashDump file contains the following:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: D:\games\Distant Worlds\images\ui\chrome\galaxyshape_clusterseven.png
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename)
at DistantWorlds.Start.pFJfWJ5dq3mRkydax0f(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Start.33qPJn2eZ(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at FCaSoqQcsKgB4PVvEI.H9DG7eOjws8ETMJKkP.CvO5VvHXOG9kJ1xLxBf(Object )
at FCaSoqQcsKgB4PVvEI.H9DG7eOjws8ETMJKkP.BIwxV3VYN()

Internet Explorer 9 is installed. Both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE work. Media Player is installed and works as well.

Thanks!!
CaBhaal
CaBhaal

RE: Crash on startup

Post by CaBhaal »

I should probably add I've installed the game with both expansions from scratch twice now. Running on Windows 7 64 bit.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

If you check in the folder using Windows explorer, does the file mentioned in the error actually exist?

D:\games\Distant Worlds\images\ui\chrome\galaxyshape_clusterseven.png

If it is there, what are it's file properties (right-click > Properties)? If it is marked as read-only, uncheck this.

Also ensure Windows or some other program is not restricting read-write access to the Distant Worlds game folder or any subfolders.

You could also try running as the local Adminstrator user on your PC.
CaBhaal

Post by CaBhaal »

ORIGINAL: elliotg

If you check in the folder using Windows explorer, does the file mentioned in the error actually exist?

D:\games\Distant Worlds\images\ui\chrome\galaxyshape_clusterseven.png

If it is there, what are it's file properties (right-click > Properties)? If it is marked as read-only, uncheck this.

Also ensure Windows or some other program is not restricting read-write access to the Distant Worlds game folder or any subfolders.

You could also try running as the local Adminstrator user on your PC.

You had a good thought there, after looking at the crash file in detail I noticed the same thing: missing file.

Looked at my install, file did not exist which made me reevaluate whether or not I had installed the game correctly. Turns out I had installed the original game, one of the RotS patches, and then Legends on top of the patch without ever installing RotS. Strange that the setup files don't properly check for previously installed versions, but whatever.

I reinstalled again, this time using the real setup file for both expansions and all is well now. Thanks for the quick reply!

CaBhaal
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The installer does check, but the check is fairly straightforward and installing the ROTS update would get around it. The ROTS update should have checked for ROTS thought, we'll double-check that. Thanks for letting us know what happened and I hope you enjoy the game!

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
dbd1963

Post by dbd1963 »

Hmm.. I think this is probably my problem too. I don't think I really have Shakturi download anymore. I've sent a message to support to get my downloads activated again -- I'll bet that will solve my problems.
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

Same here guys... Crash upon starting the game.

Fresh install of DIstant Worlds (it works like a charm). Install Return of Shakturi (it works like a charm). Install Legends, and update it. (it crashes on starting).

I don't think this is something related to IE or Windows Media Player. Both are installed on my system (to be sure, I installed the 32 bits version of IE).

Here is the detail of the crash.

Description :
Stopped working

Signature du problème :
Nom d’événement de problème: CLR20r3
Signature du problème 01: distantworlds.exe
Signature du problème 02: 1.7.0.6
Signature du problème 03: 4ee15118
Signature du problème 04: DistantWorlds
Signature du problème 05: 1.7.0.6
Signature du problème 06: 4ee15118
Signature du problème 07: 1cdb
Signature du problème 08: c
Signature du problème 09: System.TypeLoadException
Version du système: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.49
Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 2060

Lire notre déclaration de confidentialité en ligne :
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x040c

Si la déclaration de confidentialité en ligne n’est pas disponible, lisez la version hors connexion :
C:\Windows\system32\fr-FR\erofflps.txt

I can't find any crash at all in the appdata. I don't have any savegame (as I can't launch that new game I just bought)... :sad_face:

I tried to install back WM11, but I can't as I already have 12. And reinstalling 12 is not possible as it is already installed, and no uninstall.

So basically, I can't play it at all, even though the two first packs do work on this very same system.

Edit : Correction : The game start not working from Return of the Shakturi. Patched to latest version or not. Original game do work without any problem.

My question then : why doesn't it work with the expansions and do work with the original game ? Quite sad I cannot play for now :-( Oops : my system specification : Win 7 64 bits
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

Ok, so... I've thought and searched the web to try and find a solution.

- I've reinstalled .Net Framework 4.0 (I need the 4 for another game). But I guess 3.5 is inside the 4 right ? Because I can't install 3.5 at all. I can only update the 4. It is now done, but still the very same error.
- I've tried to check the folders and removed the read-only on all of them. No luck either, still very same crash.
- I've tried the IE9 32 bits stuff, but with no luck, game still crash
- I've tried and checked windows media player to be sure he was working, and it is. But still crashing.
- I've tried updating my video cards drivers, but still crashing.
- I've tried updating direct X but still crashing...
- I've tried starting the game in admin mode, but still crashing
- I've tried starting the game in compatibility mode, but still crashing...

- Edit : I've tried installing Catalyst for my AMD card (Radeon HD 4850), still crashing.
- I've tried updating directx 11, 10 and 9c, still crashing

I start to come shorts of ideas...

Where could the problem be ? Does it resides in the 64 bits system I use ? Would I get better luck if I had installed Windows 7 32 bits ?
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

I've continued searching for a solution. Here is what I've come up with.

It seems the error CLR20r3 is a call out of .Net framework to an external library or ressource. I've searched the web and discovered an interesting stuff. During the procedure here below, I noticed it was trying to fix Windows Media Center. You talked about the Windows Media Player, but is seems, after this one, that it requires Windows Media Center components. Mine were deactivated, and had to reinstall Windows Media Center.
Here is a link to the full procedure I did.
http://www.personalcomputerfixes.com/ge ... 0r3-error/

But still no luck, it is still crashing... Still unable to play at all... I think I'm good to desinstall the game and play vanilla, as it is the only one working... :-(
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: Vampyrebe

Same here guys... Crash upon starting the game.

Fresh install of DIstant Worlds (it works like a charm). Install Return of Shakturi (it works like a charm). Install Legends, and update it. (it crashes on starting).

I don't think this is something related to IE or Windows Media Player. Both are installed on my system (to be sure, I installed the 32 bits version of IE).

Here is the detail of the crash.

Description :
Stopped working

Signature du problème :
Signature du problème 02: 1.7.0.6
Signature du problème 03: 4ee15118
Signature du problème 05: 1.7.0.6
Signature du problème 06: 4ee15118
Signature du problème 07: 1cdb
Signature du problème 08: c
Hi Vampyrebe

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting Legends to start.

The TypeLoadException in the crash description likely indicates that a required file is missing.

Can you please check whether you have the following files in the root game folder (C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds):
- AxInterop.WMPLib.dll
- Interop.WMPLib.dll
- Ionic.Zip.dll

Also check in the folder C:\Windows\assembly for the following items:
- Microsoft.DirectX
- Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound
- Microsoft.VisualBasic
- PresentationCore
- WindowsBase

Thanks
Elliot
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

Thanks for your support :-)

So I'm making the checks while I check.

In Matrix Games Distant Worlds folder
- AxInterop --> present
- Interop --> present
- Ionic --> present

In Windows assembly
- Microsoft.DirectX --> present (ver 1.0.2902.0)
- Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound --> present (ver 1.0.2902.0)
- Microsoft.VisualBasic --> present (ver 8.0.0.0)
- Presentation core --> present twice (once x86, and once AMD64) (ver 3.0.0.0)
- WindowsBase --> present (ver 3.0.0.0)

Since the original game is working very fine, and not any of the two expansions... Do you know what component has been added to the original game ? I'm quite a little confused that the original game do work on the system, but when I install the expansion (one, or two) it is no more working. If we could track what changed from the vanilla version, it could help... I guess that if it was an IE and WM problem, it would not make the vanilla game run, right ?
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: Vampyrebe
If we could track what changed from the vanilla version, it could help... I guess that if it was an IE and WM problem, it would not make the vanilla game run, right ?
Correct - your problem is unlikely to be missing IE or WMP.

The specific error you have does indicate a missing file though. Or possibly insufficient security to access a file.

Which version of original DW runs properly for you? Is it 1.0.0.0 or a later patch? In DW patch version 1.0.6.0 we added the new file Ionic.Zip.dll. So possibly ROTS and Legends are not finding this?

One other thing you could check: ensure that the Distant Worlds game folder and all its files and subfolders are NOT marked as read-only. Right-click the folder in Windows explorer, select Properties from the pop-up menu and ensure that the check-box "Read-only" is cleared. Apply this setting to all subfolders.
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

The last running version is the original one version 1.0.6 that version works with no problems.

I think i've already removed the read only to all folders, subfolders and files but it was after installation. Maybe one file was not correctly updated. I will try reinstalling it all and removing the read only before installing each expansion.

For comparison, do you know a free utility that could crc check and list all my game files so you have something to compare with?
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

Ok, I just came back from work... Small try.

I uninstall everything. Make sure the folders are not there anymore, and empty the trash. I install the first game. The version I have from scratch is version 1.0.6. Once installed I change the permission on the folder so it is not read only for the whole directory, subdirectories and files. I start the launcher --> ok. From the launcher, I click on play --> I can play the game without any problems.

I start the updater. It finds a newer version (1.0.7.1 I think). I install it. I change the preferences on the folder (as it has all come back to read only). I start the launcher --> ok. I click on play --> crash

Description :
Stopped working

Signature du problème :
Signature du problème 02: 1.0.7.1
Signature du problème 03: 4e01f54c
Signature du problème 05: 1.0.7.1
Signature du problème 06: 4e01f54c
Signature du problème 07: 5a6
Signature du problème 08: 6f

Lire notre déclaration de confidentialité en ligne :
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x040c

Si la déclaration de confidentialité en ligne n’est pas disponible, lisez la version hors connexion :
C:\Windows\system32\fr-FR\erofflps.txt

So the very last version working is the 1.0.6. From 1.0.7.1 on and with all expansions, it is not working anymore. Any chance you remember what files were changed during these two versions ?

Edit : Hmmm wait... I just noticed something REALLY strange. I had changed the permission on the folder, but I see they are still read only now. I changed it again, to be sure, I close the window and check the permission : and it is read only again... What the hell is going on... Checking if it has to do with the fact I had installed under administrator.

Another question, could it be that I'm not inside my personnal folder or in program files to install the program ? I will check this as well if my try fails here. Keeping you updated.
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

I think I'm going forward with this problem... I'm now pretty sure I found the problem, but I'm unable to modify it so far. I tried to install the program inside program files (x86). Even there, it is read only. All my programs there are read only. I don't know why it has this parameter as default. Everything is right there read only. Therefore, an update cannot modify thos files. I'm pretty sure it is the reason.

This is now why I hate so much windows. I need to change the permissions of those files. But everything is on read only. I tried everything. Administator, Superadmin mode, anything... Nothing ever change those permissions, and they are beautifully read only. Under Unix system, I make a chmod and it's all gone forever. sudo chmod and it's gone. Now with windows, I cannot change those ? How weird... I tried as well to take control of the main folder, but still no luck in there. And now that I look at it, just anything on my hard drive is read only. What the hell !

Ok... I'm tired of this... I'll format and install a windows 7 32 bits, home edition. The basic one... And I hope I will never get the same mistake again than under seven 64 bits ultimate. Jeez... What a thing !
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

The difference between 1.0.6.0 and 1.0.7.1 is that all in-game text comes from the new file GameText.txt, which should be in the root game folder.

Do you see this file there? And is it read-only or read-write?
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

I just SO HATE Windows... And I mean it...

Well, 1.0.7.1 --> I do have GameText.txt It is... surprisingly read and write. As a matter of fact ALL the files are read and write. ALL folders are read only. But ALL files are accessible...

Don't take my caps against you, but it is truly frustrating to install a new game, and not being able to play it at all... I know we will find the problem. So basically, and in the end, it seems that the update should work as all my files are read and write. Furthermore, I have all admin privileges on my account, so it should install correctly.

Where does this problem resides... :s
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

Wait ! I just checked (again) and started the game... And it launched ! I install right away all the expansions, and checking after each one... I'll let you know what I did to make this works... What I did is truly strange, but it seems it is working now !! Installing and letting you know
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

Return of the Shakturi not updated works now... It's in good shape !
Vampyrebe

Post by Vampyrebe »

Final update on this problem... It's working ! All versions, up to 1.7.0.6 ! Without a glitch now...

Here is the solution... It's the weirdest solution I've ever heard, but at least it will alow me to play now. Since I read on the web that a LOT of people do have problems with permissions, I tried anything I found on the web. And nothing worked. Then an idea came to my mind. If c:\ is seen by windows as a system, everything inside it is private to windows. program files as well... But not my desktop or my directory. I simply installed the game to my desktop. I have all the permission rights there, and all is working great. So, if anyone comes to this crash, is using windows 7, and cannot change its permissions to files, tell them to install on the desktop... It's not nice, but at least it works :-)

Thanks for your support :-)

I will be more than happy now to play the game :-)

Return to “Tech Support”