New member with questions?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Admiral Mitscher

New member with questions?

Post by Admiral Mitscher »

First of all howdy to you guys, I have been a lurker for years and have finally got up the courage to join this forum. I have had this game since late 2009, and have been playing against the AI to learn. But I now feel that I am ready for a PBEM game. I know that I post in the opponents wanted section, but would appreciate any tips on finding a good Jap opponent.
n01487477

RE: New member with questions?

Post by n01487477 »

Just ask for some credentials if you're concerned. PBEM can be a long partnership and it is important to lay down some ground rules and find out through correspondence if you have a similar philosophy on playing, sense of humour, how many PBEM partners they've had etc.

Of course, you may have lurked here for a while and played numerous AI games, but you've had no experience yourself at PBEM; which can be very different. If you're lucky you'll get a slightly experienced player to show you the ropes. Of course you may end up playing someone like yourself and that will be valuable too.

I've been mostly lucky and made some good on-line friendships through PBEM. It isn't always this way - but in life you've got to take calculated chances sometime.

Good luck, do an AAR if you want advice (and have the time)
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

find a good opponent, some players quit after losing the kido butai.. otherwise welcome to the best war sim there is
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
UniformYankee

Post by UniformYankee »

Admiral,

I agree with n01....'s idea that a GCG partner is a long term relationship and it is critical to select someone who shares at least some of your perspectives.

It is probably best to play a shorter game first with an unknown (to you) player before commiting to a longer GCG.

It is possible to judge people from their AARs, but the well established players will be hard to get a game with if you yourself are an unknown.

If you want to establish an online "rep" with this forum, doing AARs on the forum is advisable.

U.Y.

zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I was in the same boat as it were and have found a great opponent. The crowd here is one-A.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

If you do not know your opponent, start with a small scenario. It allows you to get a feel for them and to form a friendship as well. Friends are less likely to bail on you. Although it happens. And when you talk about a game that might go on for three real years, you have to accept the fact that life sometimes happens and gets in the way.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Admiral Mitscher

Thanks guys for all your advice, and I will give finding an opponent for scenario one a shot. I guess from your replies it is just the luck of the draw (In for a penny, in for a pound I guess).
jeffs

Post by jeffs »

I definitely suggest that if you have never played a human..Play small scenarios..

You will find that playing AI gives you the basic knowledge to move units around..

But playing humans is key to really getting better and not panicking....Small scenarios will help you
with that (as well as scout potential partners for long games).

I have had some really good games that lasted years....And a couple of others that mysteriously ended in around a month.
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Mitscher,

Start with a small scenario ( guadalcanal or coral sea or somesuch ). The sneakiness of humans will surprise you and I'd say the hit rate for finding an opponent you'd actually eb happy playing for the 6 or 7 years a Grand Campaign can take is well under 30%. So, better to screen with a small scenario and then you can always challenge that person to a GC if you feel you get on.

At this stage I'd rate "likeability" as being pretty much my number 1 criteria for choosing an opponent for a GC game. Some marriages are shorter than GC games - which puts things into perspective ;-)
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Admiral Mitscher

Thank you Nemo121... I have been exceedingly lucky I think, and are starting a DaBabes-Lite campaign against Richard III. He has been around for a long-time, and is a fine fellow in our E-mails. I know that I have been very lucky here, and it is Richard that is taking the chance on me. [&o]
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Ah, Richard III eh? Methinks he's a good player for you to take on. I think he is going to try to play a good game... and one in which he learns a lot. A good opponent for a first game.

Good luck to you both.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks Nemo, your right, I will play my best, although I have never been with the Rising Sun ,it should be interesting all around. IMO I do need to stop posting and start learning via PBEM.

We are doing daBabeslite # 26 and the 1108r6 Beta. These are the HR`s.

Options/settings:
-Accept air/ground replacement off.
-Advance weather on.
-AI historical.
-Allied damage control on.
-Auto sub ops off.
-Combat reports on.
-Dec 7th surprise on.
-Factories to expand off.
-Fog of war on.
-Historic 1st turn off.
-PDU on.
-Plane move radius on.
-Show combat animations on.
-Show combat sum on.
-Show clouds on.
-Ships/air groups upgrade off.
-TF move radius on.
-Turn cycle 1.

House Rules:
- Air Combat TFs to contain no more than 500 aircraft (no death stars).
- Allies cannot form new TFs in turn 1, but can alter orders for existing TFs.
- Allied LCUs and Air units in China can be moved on turn 1.
- Fighter sweep or CAP altitude is restricted to the band of their second best maneuver rating.
- Invasions are only allowed in hexes with bases.
- No creating dozens of 1 ship TF `s ( AK`s PT`s )in 1 hex on either side. - No naval attack bombing below 10k feet for 4E bombers other that for navy 4E bombers.
- No night bombing if moonlight is less than 50% other that for B29s.
- No strategic bombing in or from China before 1943. - No using fragments of Para units to take bases.
- Only one Japanese port attack on turn 1.
- PPs have to be paid to release units from restricted commands.

Marc, I`m lucky to find a stand-up guy like you to play. I really hope you will think about doing a public AAR from your side. You have far better skills at that.[8D]

Rich
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Admiral Mitscher

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Ah, Richard III eh? Methinks he's a good player for you to take on. I think he is going to try to play a good game... and one in which he learns a lot. A good opponent for a first game.

Good luck to you both.

Thank you Nemo121... but I hope he is not too good, or I could get my head handed to me I think. [:D]
Admiral Mitscher

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Marc, I`m lucky to find a stand-up guy like you to play. I really hope you will think about doing a public AAR from your side. You have far better skills at that.[8D]

Rich

Rich... I will do an AAR if you do, no just joking. I will start one, but I'm afraid it wont be that hot, but it might improve as I learn I hope. But hopefully I will get some help from skilled players like Nemo121, as I have a feeling that I will need it. [;)]
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Admiral Mitscher -

Welcome to the AE forums! Not only do you have a world class game to play; the forum community is loaded with a remarkable group of individuals; who are a lot of fun to be with.

Am very pleased, Sir, that you are with us!
LAV-25 2147
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Admiral Mitscher

Good luck to you both.

Thank you Nemo121... but I hope he is not too good, or I could get my head handed to me I think. [:D]

Marc, I have played many PBEM, but the one where I learned the most was the one where I lost the worst. It is far easier to learn from mistakes than it is to learn from success, even if it can be a bit embarrassing in an AAR [:)]
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Once upon a time Kasparov was doing a tour of the US and played multiple games at the same time vs a local chess club in a major city ( I believe it may have been New York - where the UN HQ is ). He won all but one game handily. In this other game a young teenager managed to hold him and bloody his initial ploys. One of his minders suggested it would be good PR to offer the kid a draw - good photo-op and all that.

Kasparov went ahead and did so. The kid accepted. Later when asked about this "heartwarming" story he was disdainful stating ( and I'm paraphrasing ) that when you have a GrandMaster on the ropes as a teenager you go for the win instead of settling for a draw from which you'll learn nothing. Sure you might lose if you go for the win but you'll learn sooooo much from going for it that losing will be worth it.

So, go for it. You'll win or lose but either way the important thing is to learn. Eventually when you have a good level of competence go find some of the top players and challenge them... General forum consensus will pinpoint them as will the thread begun by Alfred, but seemingly abandoned, in which he invited nominations for a ranking system.

Either way so long as you are ruthless with your self-criticism and don't give way to self-deception and easy platitudes you'll improve by leaps and bounds.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Another possible House Rule might be no 4e bombers can conduct ground attacks. Some players find using them this way is overpowering.

Good luck with your game. [:)]
[center]Image[/center]
Admiral Mitscher

Either way so long as you are ruthless with your self-criticism and don't give way to self-deception and easy platitudes you'll improve by leaps and bounds.

Thank you Nemo121 for your advice; I know that I am full of self-criticism in my games against the AI, and I will try to use it also in pbem. But I may have to misuse the self-deception a bit though, especially when he is hammering me in the early game. [;)]
Admiral Mitscher

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Another possible House Rule might be no 4e bombers can conduct ground attacks. Some players find using them this way is overpowering.

Good luck with your game. [:)]

Thanks ny59giants... I think that this issue probably evens itself out, if the Allied player doesn't abuse this. I wont be using my 4Es against ground units, as it is not my strategy and unhistorical in this theatre.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”