Abraham Lincoln, the Slayer

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

bugwar

Abraham Lincoln, the Slayer

Post by bugwar »

OK, I hope this is not a bug, but if it is how the programmers intended it to work, I am confused about their design.

Dateline Cairo, IL. (CPI) December 1861.

One month ago, a Confederate army under the command of R.E. Lee (Historical values) besieged the Federal garrison here.
Over twenty thousand of the South’s finest soldiers aggressively stormed the breastworks protecting the city from capture.
They were unsuccessful in the first week of combat. The Union soldiers fought back with suicidal courage and skill. Of the
352 soldiers operating the defense, all but one died staving off the assault (cue footage of ‘Beau Geste’ fort defense scene).
Undaunted, the Rebels again stormed the city walls in the following week.

But a miracle happened, at least for the North. This one unnamed defender again held off the attack. No casualties on either
side. This went on for another two weeks. As of this writing, no one has died, and the city still waves the Stars and Stripes.
We do now know the name of this super warrior at least. Abraham Lincoln, Scourge of the Confederacy.

While I can see only one defender remaining after an aggressive siege turn, I have a hard time accepting that one guy doing
it for three weeks running, especially when he is outnumbered 20,000 to one.

[:-]
Gil R.

RE: Abraham Lincoln, the Slayer

Post by Gil R. »

Sorry, somehow missed this post. I've asked Eric to check on this when he's back from vacation.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Don't think of strength so literally.  Think of the 1 strength here as being whatever magical minimum number of men you think are needed to run the fort plus one extra guy. 
bugwar

Post by bugwar »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Don't think of strength so literally.  Think of the 1 strength here as being whatever magical minimum number of men you think are needed to run the fort plus one extra guy. 

Thanks for the response.

Lets see if I understand what is going on.

First week, 352 casualties on the defenders side, leaving ‘MAGIC X’ +1 soldiers.

Second week, same tactic, no casualties on EITHER side. ‘MAGIC X’ must be a very special number.

Every subsequent week, nobody on either side gets hurt. Whatever the ‘MAGIC X’ number is, it doesn’t take casualties, and protects the one extra soldier from harm.

Interesting as all that is, I finally tried another siege tactic, and the uber defender goes away, along with the fort.

This ‘lone defender’ artifact has shown up in other sieges since then. In each case, I change the tactic from ‘Aggressive’ to ‘Normal’ and the super trooper leaves the fort, along with the ‘MAGIC X’ garrison.

Otherwise, I can siege till doomsday, and that fort just sits there behind its magic shield.

[&:]

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”