learning curve

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
AstroBlues

learning curve

Post by AstroBlues »

Is John Tiller's battleground games easy to learn or is there a steep learning curve? I am thinkg about purchasing this game and wonder if it compares to his newly released game Liepzig? Does Waterloo have a lot of scenarios and would it be suggested for a begginer for this series?
rhondabrwn

RE: learning curve

Post by rhondabrwn »

Easy to learn / tough to master. These games can be played on multiple levels depending on the kind of experience you want. You can just blast away and enjoy the excellent graphics and sounds or you can use realistic tactics for a very deep gaming experience.

I play the HPS versions extensively because they have huge maps and hundreds of scenarios plus a campaign mode that lets you play multiple linked games. The graphics aren't nearly as good as the original Talonsoft games now sold by Matrix.

For value you cannot beat the Matrix packages! I'd go with Matrix, try them out first. If you love them as I do then you can try the HPS series.

All the games have multiple scenarios... not as many as the HPS games though. Lots of gaming clubs around for the HPS series with User created mods and scenarios.

Final note - the AI is terrible unless you like to walkover the enemy. You will never lose against the AI so I always play myself on the head to head setting or else via email against a live opponent.

Hope this helps[:)]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

These games are a great time. Chickamauga has the editor so you can edit the OOB'd. For Gettysburg there is a map viewer that show show the terrain and such. You will really enjoy these titles. I have had them for years then upgraded to the Matrix Edition and never looked back. I am going to assume you will do the same. Have a great time war gaming
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Didn't answer everything.

The Civil War series is easier to start with. Napoleonic tactics are more complex, you have skirmishers to manage, a more complex order of battle to deal with, cavalry charge rules, the square formation etc

No, you don't get the same level of detail as Tiller's Leipzig game. He has taken the series to a new level of detailed information and supporting docs from the looks of it (don't own it). You can get the HPS games discounted at the NWS Gaming Store on-line but not the new games that Tiller is selling as direct downloads with DRM that is a bit unpopular with a lot of folks used to the very open copy protection (None) on the HPS line.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Andy Moss

Post by Andy Moss »

I agree. Easy to learn. Intuitive interface. You can make them as complicated as you want if you want to go into the minutae of all the various modifyers for shooting and attack, but most really are applied common sense. I picked it up very quickly. There are still add-ons available to expand the games. The HPS/Tiller games take it to a new level indeed and address some of the annoying limitations of BG games which you will find in due course. I love both series. When you are familiar with the engine you may want to play by email as the AI is pretty dumb. Very good value for money, I've been playing them for over 10 years now.
pacwar

Post by pacwar »

Some of these answers addressed my question about his new Leipzig game...doesn't sound like anyone has tried it out yet...the comments on how dumb the AI is raised some red flags...I hate playing against myself and i don't have time for play by mail...I guess the only hope is that the AI in the Leipzig game has been improved from earlier versions...

db
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Easy to learn / tough to master. These games can be played on multiple levels depending on the kind of experience you want. You can just blast away and enjoy the excellent graphics and sounds or you can use realistic tactics for a very deep gaming experience.

I play the HPS versions extensively because they have huge maps and hundreds of scenarios plus a campaign mode that lets you play multiple linked games. The graphics aren't nearly as good as the original Talonsoft games now sold by Matrix.

For value you cannot beat the Matrix packages! I'd go with Matrix, try them out first. If you love them as I do then you can try the HPS series.

All the games have multiple scenarios... not as many as the HPS games though. Lots of gaming clubs around for the HPS series with User created mods and scenarios.

Final note - the AI is terrible unless you like to walkover the enemy. You will never lose against the AI so I always play myself on the head to head setting or else via email against a live opponent.

Hope this helps[:)]
Ditto that - exactly what I was thinking.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

I appreciate all the answers. With this Matrix sale I can afford a game now. I am torn between this Battleground Napoleonic series or the John Tiller campaign series. I am still on the fence about which one to buy.
Andy Moss

Post by Andy Moss »

I guess the only hope is that the AI in the Leipzig game has been improved from earlier versions...

No

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”