Question: Has anybody played with Atuuks in Legends?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

J HG T

Question: Has anybody played with Atuuks in Legends?

Post by J HG T »

As title says.
Also, if you have played with 'em, how did the victory conditions feel like gameplay wise? Were they fun to pursue?

Reasons for asking this:

1) Pure curiosity.

2) I'm planning doing AAR (probably starting in january after I finish my quite exciting game with Kiadians) and playing with a race that has goals pretty much opposite of my own ideals could be very interesting as I play mainly with "high-tech" races (Kiadian, Zenox, Quameno).

2b) Atuuks would also be a good comic relief race if I end up using them in my AAR. Teekans are other tempting choice; "Tuffbit & Boys Inc. Selling you scrap & stuff you never need."

2c) I kinda like Atuuks ship design.

BTW, you can comment on this even if you haven't played with Atuuks.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
feelotraveller

RE: Question: Has anybody played with Atuuks in Legends?

Post by feelotraveller »

I have not played with the Atuuks. Very curious to see how their victory conditions pan out - particularly the 'do the least research in the galaxy' one (without gaming it... [;)] ). Please play them and not the desert rats. The 'tuuks also boast slowed construction speed whereas the micemen have theirs increased. Please for a funny, furry, fu**y little teddybear game.
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

I love playing Atuuks in legends! They are geared towards war and hostility, despite their peaceful appearance. Be the space-faring tribble!

Also, they're society would make for very good AAR-stuff. They're a highly fuedal society, with a caste-system and complete religious/cultural insulation. You'll often get events like "Your research has been deemed heretical, and been set back!"
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube
You'll often get events like "Your research has been deemed heretical, and been set back!"

That sounds very interesting! Being a hight-tech junkie playing a race like Atuuks should be refreshing change.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

I haven't played them, but in all of the games I've played so far the AI Atuuks always seem to be one of the more dominant empires, hah.
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

I haven't played them myself yet, but it would be interesting to see an AAR on them. They always seem to be quite aggressive and angry in my games. Bombarding planets and ravaging everything in sight.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

IIRC, Atuuk's population growth rate is high so their expansion is often quite fast in the early game. For me, they've proven to be an annoyance recently as my empire is sandwiched between 2 Atuuk empire...and I'm feeling really claustrophobic.
Gelatinous Cube

ORIGINAL: Webbco

IIRC, Atuuk's population growth rate is high so their expansion is often quite fast in the early game. For me, they've proven to be an annoyance recently as my empire is sandwiched between 2 Atuuk empire...and I'm feeling really claustrophobic.

36%. Combine that with a Happiness bonus, and a tendancy for Fuedal governments (which makes troops a very good idea) and you have a recipe for mayhem (plus a fairly frequent event that boosts troop strength and production on your homeworld). Also, if you start as Atuuks your default military build setting will be "High". I wonder if that is also true for the AI Atuuk Empires...
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

Know I always see them with an high military value compared to the size they usually are in game.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Atuuks remind me too much of Ewoks...and being an Empire fan...well you can see where this is going. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Atuuks remind me too much of Ewoks...and being an Empire fan...well you can see where this is going. [;)]

I've been thinking of all kinds of funny and stupid references for my AAR, and let's just say that you are probably going to hate it... in a good way... I guess. [:)]
The AAR will probably be pretty humorous in tone.
If I get AAR stuff going on nicely enough, I'll do another AAr which will be much more darker and sinister.
Gelatinous Cube

I would love to see a totally serious Atuuk AAR.. imagine the suspense when you're scientist gets burned at the stake for his heresy!
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

We'll see.
The Atuuk AAR may be serious, it all depends how much I can get into the lore. The more I can relate to the race, the more seriously I usually play it.
But, I usually love RPing races that are more or less opposite of my ideals.
Howard Mitchell

Post by Howard Mitchell »

I have played with them.

In the sense of 'playing with your food'.
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

You could always play the AAR as Atuuks, with a crumbling Galactic Empire using faction art and setting from the Star Wars mods. That would be hilarious and highly readable!

Attachments
2195075741.jpg
2195075741.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 132 times
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

If I'd do that modded AAR, I'd do it for Chewie. Ewoks can bite a turbolaser bolt for all I care.
I agree that it would most likely be quite entertaining but I'll settle with Atuuks for now.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

heh...

Ewoks roasting on an open fire...

I think that explains my sentiments quite well.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Gelatinous Cube

Just in case there's any haters out there... just take a look at how utterly powerful Atuuks can be! Notice the star date...

J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Those furry bastards are friggin' scary!
I've yet to run into them in any of my Legends games, but I'll bet it will be really interesting when I eventually do. BRING IT, EWOKS!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Atuuks rule. [;)]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”