Fair Weather opponent warning...

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

ETF

Fair Weather opponent warning...

Post by ETF »

FYI

Had my first online opponent for WITE. Nice chap name HERMANN. Very friendly person. The problem I encountered was even though we agreed to play out till the end of 42 my first week of Dec he quit. Did not answer emails I sent... nothing. I offered to maybe go back a couple of turns if he wanted.. nothing. I noticed he offered to start another game or two with others.

Sorry to have to report this but be careful he may just up and quit on ya :(
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
colberki

RE: Fair Weather opponent warning...

Post by colberki »

I can relate to fair weather opponents - my experience so far has been all but one PBEM opponent has been a fair weather opponent - all my 6 or so German opponents went AWOL between August 1941 and April 1942. One Soviet opponent went AWOL in early 1942 too. Very disappointing. And one recent cocky German opponent quit in August 1941 after failing to knock out my Soviets using the Pelton mule HQ tactic.
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

I always sort of wish we could do a 'player registry' with feedback from opponents. not to be cruel or uncivil, but to rate the reliability and perceived skill level. this game and WitP are huge huge undertakings in time, you will be playing the same person hopefully for more than a year. but way way too many people are only interested in one phase of the game or are simply defeatists at the first major set-back. it would be nice to know ahead of time. social consequences help ensure good behavior in micro-lending, maybe they would in gaming also!
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Perhaps an 'opponents not wanted' section?

As this is a 'wanted' section I shall just name those I have played/am playing and who get top marks for sticking at it, other than for genuine and appropriate RL reasons
Mike McMann
Belphegor
Baelfiin
Fiva55
Michael T ( though perhaps better described as sticking it to me rather than with me)
Carnage - to judge by other AARs anyway. I'm just waiting for his T2, though given his 1st turn which you can see on my AAR.............................
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

That's really not fair ETF. I messaged you after i resigned and we discussed it in detail.
Situation was fairly straightforward. One of my first games as Axis and i hag absolutely no clue about supply effects in winter. First turn of the winter offensive i was shocked to to see 35 german divisions including 7 panzer surrender due to isolation. the remaining troops were in very serious trouble with many more pocketed or bypassed. Ill fight hard against odds but that situation was clearly out of hand. As I recall we were both teething that game. i took leningrad with the finns and pulled back to the finn border as a token of sportsmanship and didnt close the lvov pocket due to the fact we were both new and i wanted to keep it fun. a 35 division surrender on turn 1 of the russian offensive is completely untennable by anyones standards. You beat me ETF - i lost... badly. get over it and dont waste time slandering me without putting up the facts.

On a good note though, ive learned from the error and am more than willing to take on all comers, you included =))))
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Isolating, and destroy 35 german division during the winter turn sounds like a german surrender.
When I start the WITE, I did huge mistakes, and giving up the game, because after I learned the game, it's really frustrating to continue with those conditions.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Here is my list of reliable and honerable opponents.

Sitito
DicedT
Sillyflower
Majeloz
Smokindave34
Marquo
821Bobo
Shanem

Be happy to play any of them again :)
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

My smaller list of "A" opponents:

Klily - ongoing
Michael T - destroyed me and was very informative and gracious.
TD - ongoing
Glenn Felzein (he had to quit for life reasons, but was very courteous and gentlemanly)

Marquo :-)
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

We don't wish to create a sub-post? I believe here is not the right place for the "A list" players.
JKLilly

Post by JKLilly »

My two cents. Never ever post negative on an opponent. You don't know why that person behaves. Just don't play them again. Life is too short to vent on the net.
colberki

Post by colberki »

Shupov is the most reliable pbem player i played against. I saw one name mentioned earlier as reliable which i disagree but in deferrence to the forum ettiquette i wont point him out. Anyway i guess he was reliable when he chose to be so.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

would someone like to have a game with me, i'll play soviets and any scenario? email me or pm

Return to “Opponents Wanted”