IRONMAN - SPOILER THREAD

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

CaptBeefheart

RE: IRONMAN - SPOILER THREAD

Post by CaptBeefheart »

OK, just remembered this thread. In my same game I'm up to near the end of Dec. 42. KB is still intact minus the two mentioned CVs. It, or a good chunk of it, hangs north of Ndeni doing apparent circles, but my CVs don't bite. KB is smart enough not to go into my LBA range (of which many are based at Ndeni).

There were a lot of piecemeal invasions of Perth, which were easily handled. Also, Attu and Kiska were taken but no further movement in NoPac.

I'm going to try a CenPac thrust through Tarawa, Kwaj, Truk, Guam, Babelfish and the PI, and a DEI thrust through West Timor, Flores, Java, West Borneo to Sing out of West Oz. I plan to bypass NG and most of the Solomons just to try something different.

Burma is pretty quiet for now as I've imposed on myself the need to unrestrict Indian units to go past Akyab or the rest of the border. I'll do a quiet move on Ramree to build that base up for now, then head to Rangoon when it seems I have a quorum.

Regarding how to play the AI: I like letting the two AIs play each other for a while before taking over. Otherwise you would have to be very passive if you want a decent game to ensue.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

hmmm sounds like it fell apart in your game wpurdom please let me have a save I need to see which script caused it
Andy,

would be very interested to learn how you debug this type of issue. What do you look for and how do you decide which script is not firing ... thanks!! Just starting to look at the AI scripts ...

PS: hopefully, this is info you can share without violating your NDA ....
Pax
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I take a look at what script the player is using
Look at specifically why it fell apart what sequence of events
maybe run a few turns witht he AI script de bugger see whats happened
Try to figure it out and fix it.

The key is to figure out which specific AI scrip has caused the issue

Andy
pmattiasn

Post by pmattiasn »

Hi Andy,

Posted this in the tech support but got good advice to move this discussion here.

Just started a new AI game as allied. Ironman v3, I think under the latest beta (p3?). I sent the initial IO reinforcements already on ships (18th Brit ID etc) to Calcutta. And they all steamed happily up the river and started unloading. However, several turns later I realize that AP West Point apparently is too big to get out?!? I've tried disbanding and forming new TFs, setting various destinations etc but nothing works. Really annoying as I do not want to continue and I haven't kept enough saves to go back to before it went into port.

Edit: Wakefield and Mt Vernon are also too large to sail the river apparently but they are disbanded, and stuck, in Calcutta now. Is there any way of beaming them just one hex [:)] ?

Restart the only option to letting it sit there for the rest of the war?

Cheers,
Mattias
pmattiasn

Post by pmattiasn »

Hi again - never mind the above, I was offered the services of Scotty for a day. After disbanding all three in port, the next turn opreport has them moved to SF due to "invalid hex location"!

That was a first for me...
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: PMN

Hi again - never mind the above, I was offered the services of Scotty for a day.
[:D][:D][:D]

Good description. Never seen that either. Good to know it exists though!
Pax
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Another tactic to get a quick turnaround of AP!!

Being serious for half a second, does this mean that large ships can go up river, smash the defenders, drop of an invasion and then Stargate back to their base out of danger or run away from an overwhelming force, disbad, and find yourself in safety?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Enterprise

Post by Enterprise »

I don't know if this is new thread worthy or not so I'll post here first.

On Jan 19, 1942, I have a total P40e availabilty discrepancy of -110 over my previous scenario 1 GC game while using ironman V3. This was derived from adding losses, active, pools, and ops delays.
This roughly corresponds to the 114 P40e that arrive in brisbane in 5 fighter groups ~ mid january in scen 1, that dont seem to arrive in Ironman. Is this all according to plan, or am I missing something?

actual totals were 219 total in ironman and 329 in scen 1

edited to add there is apparently also a shortage of pilots in the 40-50 experience range that is likely from the same or similar causes.
fighter A2A losses are up of course (222 vs 101) but pilot losses have not been high since I typically fight over my own bases

Thanks in advance for any help
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I just want to make a comment that man, I've never seen so many strangely-named CVs and CVLs on the IJN side. It definitely keeps me on my toes and in mid-43 I am still cautiously advancing on only one vector. Also, I've lost a number of merchies in EastPac and the Indian Ocean to 1-2 CV/CVL TFs. On the plus side, sometimes I can intercept those TFs.

One other note: I reconned Truk and found it had over 90,000 troops (on a 30,000 or 60,000 limit) and about 1000 ea. fighters and bombers. That might be a bit too much centralization as there are other bases nearby that could use more air assets.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Enterprise

I don't know if this is new thread worthy or not so I'll post here first.

On Jan 19, 1942, I have a total P40e availabilty discrepancy of -110 over my previous scenario 1 GC game while using ironman V3. This was derived from adding losses, active, pools, and ops delays.
This roughly corresponds to the 114 P40e that arrive in brisbane in 5 fighter groups ~ mid january in scen 1, that dont seem to arrive in Ironman. Is this all according to plan, or am I missing something?

actual totals were 219 total in ironman and 329 in scen 1

edited to add there is apparently also a shortage of pilots in the 40-50 experience range that is likely from the same or similar causes.
fighter A2A losses are up of course (222 vs 101) but pilot losses have not been high since I typically fight over my own bases

Thanks in advance for any help

I have been playing Ironman for some time now. I have at least 6 original Ironman scenarios played to at least early '43 and I can say with some confidence that I do not ever remember there being a distribution of P40Es directly to OZ or Capetown in that scenario. I haven't played an origonal campaign scenario in some time so I really don't remember how Ironman compares to it. In Ironman everything has to be shipped to Oz.

I did just recently start a new Ironman v3 and am in mid Jan '42. I do seem to have a shortage of P40Es compared to the original Ironman scenario. There seemes to be less extant P40E squadrons to canabalize to feed the pool. This is just a vague impression and nothing I have compared any stats on.
Hans

kfsgo

Post by kfsgo »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ORIGINAL: Enterprise

I went and did some digging (for some reason I have a bunch of remnant files - I think organising everything was confusing in the early days!) - I don't know what version of ironman this is exactly, but the file claims to be from July 2010, so presumably it's an older one:

So that definitely was a thing, at some point. Whether the removal was intentional or not I obviously have no idea.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Lost all my new AI files in my ssyteme meltdopwn so keep the data coming and I will investigate when and if I recover
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Lost all my new AI files in my ssyteme meltdopwn so keep the data coming and I will investigate when and if I recover
Oh shite!!! Really sorry to hear this. [:(]
Pax
Enterprise

Post by Enterprise »

Thanks kfsgo for digging that up. Hilariously, I posted my question in a separate thread on 12-18 and stopped checking this thread til just now.

I postulate that those 135 p40e that in the past arrived capetown 2-16-42 are related to issues raised in my post

note that we're talking ~1/3 of all p40e availablity at these early dates

Call me Captain Obvious and consider this a bump.

Thanks Andy Mac for following up if and when possible. Sorry about your files.
Enterprise

Post by Enterprise »

bumping to reraise issue of P40e arrivals in early 42

thanks
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I have it fixed in my current beta version of v5.

I need to test it a little but broadly the Japanese should be a little bit more robust on defence with some substantial sustainable CAG issues resolved for Japan.

Not done anything to AI files yet but a lot of fixes elsewhere
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

ps does anyone have any art work for the japanese 4E bomber I forget the name [:D][:D][:D]

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”