Quick and nasty: a Securan story (SPOILERS)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Grotius

RE: Quick and nasty: a Securan story

Post by Grotius »

Here's another look, with another big dotted ring. Fuel range?

One striking thing is how little of the galaxy I can see. Is it common for a game in 2779 to reveal so little of the galaxy? My guess is no, heh. I'm hoping that my two or three explorers will change that over the next year or so.

Attachments
11map2.jpg
11map2.jpg (159.44 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

The victory screen as of this writing. OK, I probably won't win! But I'm still alive and kicking, and I intend to keep playing. If I could just get a couple years of peace, then I'd have time to build a navy and some research and some mining facilities and some exploration ships and colony ships and...well, you get the picture.

More to come!

Attachments
12v.jpg
12v.jpg (192.32 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Ares106

Post by Ares106 »

nice! yes i believe dotted lines is ship fuel range.

btw if you keep going like this the title of this AAR is going to become quite misleading.[:D]
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Keep it going man [:'(]. Try to get some free trade agreements and MDPs if you can (esp with Securan motherland).

Also try to build a mining station or two for your fuel and resource needs, jsut don't build too many so you don't run out of resources and money. And keep exploring for new colonies.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

btw if you keep going like this the title of this AAR is going to become quite misleading.
LoL, I know! When I started the AAR, I thought I was ready to throw in the towel, so I figured I'd give people a quick read. But then I passed a morale check and decided to play on, and sheesh, it's been a hoot!
Try to get some free trade agreements and MDPs if you can (esp with Securan motherland).

Also try to build a mining station or two for your fuel and resource needs, jsut don't build too many so you don't run out of resources and money. And keep exploring for new colonies.
In fact, a couple empires just did offer me free trade agreements, and I said yes. My cash keeps going up, so that's good. I just offered the Securan motherland an MDP, just before I saved my game and quit for the night. We'll see what they say.

Not sure how I can build any mining stations, though. Without a spaceport, my construction ships don't seem to want to build anything. I'll try again tomorrow, though. I do have exploration ships and a colony ship roaming free, so I'm hoping I can establish a second colony far from the shrimp. Maybe that's wishful thinking, I dunno, but we'll see.
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

ORIGINAL: Grotius
btw if you keep going like this the title of this AAR is going to become quite misleading.
LoL, I know! When I started the AAR, I thought I was ready to throw in the towel, so I figured I'd give people a quick read. But then I passed a morale check and decided to play on, and sheesh, it's been a hoot!
Try to get some free trade agreements and MDPs if you can (esp with Securan motherland).

In fact, a couple empires just did offer me free trade agreements, and I said yes. My cash keeps going up, so that's good. I just offered the Securan motherland an MDP, just before I saved my game and quit for the night. We'll see what they say.

Not sure how I can build any mining stations, though. Without a spaceport, my construction ships don't seem to want to build anything. I'll try again tomorrow, though. I do have exploration ships and a colony ship roaming free, so I'm hoping I can establish a second colony far from the shrimp. Maybe that's wishful thinking, I dunno, but we'll see.

I don't see a reason why you couldn't build mining stations without a starport. Put your constructors on manual and order them manually to build the mining/gas stations.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

You seem to have plenty of money. [:)] If you know any Pirates you could buy the location of an independent colony from them for what is a paltry sum for you. Normally i wouldn't recommend this as it makes the game too easy but given your situation it seems appropriate. Just hope the independents are friendly too you! If not you might need to buy the location of another one. Send your colony ship there pronto. The starting boost in population makes a very big difference. Just colonise as quickly as possible and send one of your explorers to investigate the local resource possibilities.
martok

Post by martok »

I'm loving your AAR, Grotius. It's not often you see one where the player is struggling and/or hanging on by their fingernails, and I have to say, it makes for a delightful change of pace. That you're merely trying to survive makes for a much more compelling story!

One UI question. What does the dotted circular ring represent? Is it the fuel range of the selected ship? I hope so -- I'd been wondering how I could see that on-screen. Is it on by default?

Yes, and yes. [:)]

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I don't see a reason why you couldn't build mining stations without a starport. Put your constructors on manual and order them manually to build the mining/gas stations.

The last time I lost my space port, it didn't work. I'd order a construction ship to build a gas- or steel-mining facility, but no money would be deducted from my treasury, and the scrolling log would immediately report "Construction ship x has completed its mission." When I check the constructors, they are carrying absolutely nothing in their cargo holds. I assume that's why? They need to collect materials with which to build the facility, and as they have no friendly space port, they simply refuse to do anything. But I'll try again.

Feelotraveler, good idea. My enemies seem to have exterminated all the local pirates, who I had routinely hired as allies, heh. I think I did accept one pirate offer to learn about a potential colony, but since then, no pirate contact at all.

Martok, thanks for the confirmation on the rings. Is fuel necessary for travel at above-light speed? Sometimes my ships seem to be able to make trips with no fuel at all.

Hope to have more to report tonight. Very fun game. :)
Theluin

Post by Theluin »

I hope your colony ship finds a new planet soon cause the bugs may decide they have enough and bomb you [:D]
Is fuel necessary for travel at above-light speed? Sometimes my ships seem to be able to make trips with no fuel at all.
Fuel is actually only necessary for weapons and shield recharge. Your ships however will move with only 1/3 of their hyper space speed and 1/2 or 1/3 of their sub-light speed if they're out of fuel.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that.
Krippakrull

Post by Krippakrull »

Just chiming in that I love this AAR as well, a lot more entertaining to read about an empire having a hard time than one steamrolling the opposition. So, in short: MOAR! ;)
Grisha

Post by Grisha »

I just looked in on this AAR after checking it out some time before, and I have to say this is great. This is the game we all hate because we 'know' we're going to lose. Then, later we all wonder what might have happened had we stuck it out. Watching you survive against the Gizureans is encouraging me to stick it out more with games I usually will call. I can think back on a game where I started against the Gizureans and had the luxury of development before being engaged in a war with them. I actually had the upper hand technologically and economically, but quit it because it would likely set me back too much to 'win'.

In fact, I may do away with victory conditions after watching this. Let my own sense of 'victory' decide if I won or not [:)] It would certainly make for better roleplay!

Keep at it!
Best regards,
Greg Guerrero
martok

Post by martok »

Martok, thanks for the confirmation on the rings. Is fuel necessary for travel at above-light speed? Sometimes my ships seem to be able to make trips with no fuel at all.

Fuel isn't strictly necessary for travel (whether FTL or sub-light), no. However, as Theluin pointed out, your ships move a lot slower than normal if their fuel tanks are empty.

I can't confirm the numbers he gave -- 1/3 actually feels a little high to me, but then I've never stopped to really time it either, so he's probably right. Either way, though, it definitely reduces travel speed by a drastic degree. So don't let your ships run dry!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I fight on! There's even a faint glimmer of hope. I'll report in detail tomorrow.
InaB77

Post by InaB77 »

Sweet AAR, loving it !
Fenster fährt mich Nüsse
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

Good AAR- please continue
Mark
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

The shrimp gave us a short reprise, and we managed to build a few exploration ships, a couple warships, and one lonely colony ship before the Gizureans declared war again. Before the shrimp could come kill my new little navy, I sent it off in all directions, with the colony ship heading toward the friendly confines of my cousins to the northwest. I have no refueling stations at all, and for some reason a couple of my ships wanted to refuel off-map, or at least in the far northwest corner. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug. :)

Attachments
a1line.jpg
a1line.jpg (229.66 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I also used the reprieve to build some mobile science labs. If I build science labs around Almas-3, the shrimp just come and blow them up, leaving me with zero research. For whatever reason, I haven't been able to get construction ships to build labs around research spots either, probably because without a spaceport, the construction ships have no way of gathering the materials. So I make some hybrid cruiser-researchers. I'm thinking it's like giving Mr. Spock his own science lab for R&D, or some such, while Kirk sits on the bridge steering the cruiser away from danger.

Attachments
a2wep.jpg
a2wep.jpg (226.87 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Recall that I've been in last place all along. I still am. The bugs come and kill my spaceport again, but I fight off their invading troops again. Then, after a wait, they grudgingly give me another peace. This time I have a new Ambassador named San Dokari. She's untested, but why not send her to socialize with the shrimp? I've got nothing to lose, I figure.

Attachments
a5amb.jpg
a5amb.jpg (184.16 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Return to “After Action Reports”