How do you start out small?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

GaryChildress

How do you start out small?

Post by GaryChildress »

I actually had a bit of fun yesterday. I started out with a one solar system empire and did a little spreading out. However, I tried recreating my one system empire start and now I keep getting huge expansive empires to start. What settings do I use to start out just with one solar system as my empire? I can't seem to replicate my start yesterday. [:(]

EDIT: I'm playing the orginal Distant Worlds.
Missouri_Rebel

RE: How do you start out small?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Been a while since I played vanilla but I think the options are the same. When creating a new game if you set your Home System slider to Trying, it will be a slower game as there will be less resources and population in your home system. Also the Size setting should be set to Starting as this dictates how old and developed your home system is. Starting will be a lot less colonies already established in your home system.

Don't forget that you can select how many and of what quality the other empires start with. Just choose to do them yourself and you will be presented with options to slow them down also using the same parameters.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

BTW, I can't resist this.

Tonight for the feature matinee;
Curmudgeons In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Data

Post by Data »

Aside from the obvious settings you can also use the editor to customize your game as you like it without depending on restarts.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”