New Review of Legends Up rates 9

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

rayhughes

New Review of Legends Up rates 9

Post by rayhughes »

For those interested, here is the very latest review of legends;

http://www.gamesquad.com/review/reviewe ... ds-legends - a bright shining 9 !!!!

Some of the tail end criticisms I agree with - the "Would be nice if possible" - under a patch for Legends.

And one not mentioned, that I favor - With characters pictures - all the faces are the same - how about different faces for each character - and yes, I realize this could add a lot of extra art work, but the pay off might be a more emotional linkage to the character - at the moment they are all generic and when you loose one for whatever reason, while a mild annoyance, it has no real impact. If however if each face for each race was slightly different - you know, a little grayer, a little bald for human, wears glasses maybe, has a beard or equivalent, or as a has more techno attacments (re Borg..) ..I suspect the player would feel the hurt a little more, thus immersing them deeper into a great game. How about it Elliot?[:)]
Ares106

RE: New Review of Legends Up rates 9

Post by Ares106 »

agree 100% with the ship design complain and am checking the forum diligently for the coming updates, as this will make the difference of whether I buy legends or not.
Keston

Post by Keston »

Which daily update were they using for their review?
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

The best way to tell that Distant Worlds is a cut above the rest is that nobody ever says "This sucks!" Instead people always say "This is great, but if we just had some more..."

Not easy being a 4x Developer these days. Props to Matrix and Codeforce for keeping the dream alive!
RooksBailey

Post by RooksBailey »

ORIGINAL: Keston

Which daily update were they using for their review?

I was using the release version. ;-)
NinjaCool

Post by NinjaCool »

Well written review [:)]
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

I dont see the problem with ship design in terms of upgrading them to use newly researched components.
Just leave ship design automated, and copy-as-new whenever you want to design your own ship, and simply never ever build any ship that isnt your own design. Simple enough and you never have to bother manually updating the private ships & other fluff. Just your own specific designs.

Unless of course you design your own individual civilian ships and freighters. At which point you already undertook a playstyle with excessive micromanagement regardless of how many UI improvements will be made :p
El Vis

Post by El Vis »

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

The best way to tell that Distant Worlds is a cut above the rest is that nobody ever says "This sucks!"

Fully agree. That i noticed too visiting this forum before buying the game.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Very good review, well-written and fair. Not sure I agree with the criticisms about ship design, but I'm certainly in favor of doing something to help the AI compete.

I do rather wish leaders had different portraits. If nothing else, it would make posting an AAR more fun. :) I suppose it's too much to ask for dynamically-generated portraits (a la Out of the Park Baseball)...
nammafia

Post by nammafia »

I don't see anything bad about the ship design screen.  Players have more freedom to designing ships this way than some established sets for different classes of ships.  I just Leave it on Automatic and use Copy as New.

I also don't see problem with carrier and tactical fighter either.  Any ship class can have fighter bays on them if you choose to. 

I agree with the mining and refueling rights.

In Legends 1701, I don't understand how a foreign empire can build a listening post in my system without any warning.
nammafia

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”