Ok WISHLIST TIME after seeing & playing game

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Mobius

RE: Ok WISHLIST TIME after seeing & playing game

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: sztartur
No. You just make a new go/run/crawl whatever moving order into a building and the squad automatically enters. Same with exit. You just set the squad to go somewhere and they exit the building in the shortest path to the destination.
There's a big difference in just being inside a building and being in a position to defend from it. You can stack people in there like sardines but it doesn't do the defense of the position any good. Mounting gets men into defense positions.

But it would be good to unmount in different directions.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

It would also be good, if you were assaulting, to forgo the stacking limits. As you said, men can be stacked in a building like sardines and attackers are more worried about numbers than they are good defensive firing positions.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
dazoline II

Post by dazoline II »

Bump and can we sticky this?
Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

This is my favourite game (specially now with a new computer [:D]. However, a few small changes can improve the playing experience:

1-it would be good to show an explanation of the special abilities (by medals) of an unit passing the cursor over it or in unit specifications. In this way we don´t need to consult the manual during a battle.

2-The "Boot Camp" 1st scenario is pretty hard for a beguinner IMHO. This is one of the first games everyone play, because of this some people could have a bad impression of PCO.

3-The orders Engage-hold=Defend stay and Engage-Facing=Defend-Facing are the same. It can be simplified.

4-A right click on an unit should be possible to show the orders menu.

Thanks
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: Jafele
3-The orders Engage-hold=Defend stay and Engage-Facing=Defend-Facing are the same. It can be simplified.
Not exactly. With Engage you get egg-roll. With Engage you can order that unit and the others in the unit to move further or engage selected targets. With Defend other units can move, but slower and cannot choose their own targests. There is more of a difference in these two orders for Soviets than Germans because changing base orders causes the Soviets to delay a half phase.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

This is my favourite game (specially now with a new computer [:D]. However, a few small changes can improve the playing experience:

1-it would be good to show an explanation of the special abilities (by medals) of an unit passing the cursor over it or in unit specifications. In this way we don´t need to consult the manual during a battle.

We're glad you're enjoying this game. we like it too. I agree this would be good information. I still have to dig out the manual and read these too. adding this info when cursoring over the medal would be a good addition.

4-A right click on an unit should be possible to show the orders menu.

Thanks

if the unit is selected already, a right click will bring up the orders menu. But you're right, if the unit isn't selected the right click does not select the unit. In the back of my mind, I thought there was a reason for this, the unit not getting selected with a right click, but I don't recall what that reason was right now. But if you do select a unit (for example in the HUD at bottom, or using the NEXT UNIT key, then a right click will bring up the orders.

It's been a little quiet here, but the team is still working on making some improvements for the next patch.

Thanks!
rick
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Another interesting addition would be to show the type of terrain were a selected unit is located. I know you can do it with LOS or key 5, but a small symbol (wood, light forest, etc) close to the unit description would be faster and useful in some circumstances.

At the moment it´s not possible to make random maps, though I still remember the old times when I used to play quick battles with ramdom maps in CMX1. Every game was totally different [8|]. You know what I mean. Maybe one day in the future... Who knows. That´s something I will always miss.

Happy to know you´re making some improvements [&o]. Personally I consider the graphics are good enough. The game is close to perfection: needs small changes and specially more maps.

Thanks

Javier

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

There are HUD symbols, the tree and house.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I know. But I mean one different for every specific type of terrain: Light woods, heavy woods, brush, etc.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE
ruixilyy

Post by ruixilyy »

Is it possible that someone add an opening video for PCO?
You should fire when ready!
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I know. But I mean one different for every specific type of terrain: Light woods, heavy woods, brush, etc.

another good idea. though it might take a creative artist to come up with different icons for each terrain type.

Thanks
rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: ruixilyy

Interesting, it used to have one. It was taken out for this release. I imagine it's possible to add it back in at some point.

Thanks
rick
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

It is there the first time you start the game. Then it and the configure screen are no longer shown. I suppose there is some file that can be changed to get the video back.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: Rick

another good idea. though it might take a creative artist to come up with different icons for each terrain type.

If it´s not possible to get an artist, I would be happy with a simple indication (a text) passing the cursor over the current symbol. Yes, small good ideas make a game greater! [;)]

Thanks

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

ORIGINAL: Rick

If it´s not possible to get an artist, I would be happy with a simple indication (a text) passing the cursor over the current symbol. Yes, small good ideas make a game greater! [;)]

Thanks
Maybe a color code would work. Instead of a mini picture for light woods, heavy woods, light building, heavy building, rubble, trench, etc., you could assign each terrain type a cover %. Then assign a color code for each value range? 0-10 Black, 11-35 red, 36-65 yellow, 66-100 green perhaps? Instead of having to draw an image for each terrain type, a colored circle (like a traffic light) would suffice? Just an idea, and it would make it easier to do, hopefully.
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

I would like to see a return to bino views for buttoned tanks. Also, lets have light mortars as indirect fire weapons.

I know in PC:K light mortars had an almost immediate impact upon the enemy, and this was unrealistic (and gamey), but reducing them to direct fire was the wrong response, as now they aren't historic or even realistic as direct-fire only weapons!
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

ORIGINAL: ruixilyy

Do you mean an alternative vid (and score) to the one that is there already?

That could be a contest.

Use in game footage.

Make your own score for bonus points.
test

Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: HintJ

Also, lets have light mortars as indirect fire weapons.

I know in PC:K light mortars had an almost immediate impact upon the enemy, and this was unrealistic (and gamey), but reducing them to direct fire was the wrong response, as now they aren't historic or even realistic as direct-fire only weapons!

That would be GREAT! All these "little" changes we are talking about add realism and improve PCO in a far better way than spending thousands of hours working on graphics that basically are really good. Just my opinion.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE
Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown »

Just a minor point, probably due to being spoiled too much by CM.

When I select a unit and right click to start giving it orders, all the other rubber-bands and target lines disappear.

This makes it difficult to coordinate the movement of several units, maintain spacing, avoid friendly fire etc.

How hard would it be to keep other units' rubber bands or target lines visible when giving orders?

(Do units suffer from friendly small arms fire if they get in the way? What about small arms area fire?)

Andy
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Andy Brown

Just a minor point, probably due to being spoiled too much by CM.

When I select a unit and right click to start giving it orders, all the other rubber-bands and target lines disappear.

This makes it difficult to coordinate the movement of several units, maintain spacing, avoid friendly fire etc.

How hard would it be to keep other units' rubber bands or target lines visible when giving orders?

(Do units suffer from friendly small arms fire if they get in the way? What about small arms area fire?)

Andy

I agree having the rubberbands stay would be helpful when plotting moves.

Units don't suffer from friendly small arms fire. I don't think they suffer hits from friendly area fire. They can suffer damage from off-map indirect fire (both air and artillery).

Thanks
rick

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”