1.05.42 Axis AI vs fulkerson

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

larryfulkerson

RE: 1.05.42 Axis AI vs fulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the T5 end of turn stats:

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (611.99 KiB) Viewed 38 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the T6 beginning of turn stats:

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (293.48 KiB) Viewed 38 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

Something I'm experimenting with is organization of the Soviet AF. My thoughts right now are that at start, I divide the Soviet FB's into 3 groups:

Group A- I-15/153's etc (anything with a '15' or '153'): gets converted to run bomber missions, and get allocated at ~ 200-300 to each Front. Use until pool is spent.

Group B- I-16 anything: Use these as the front-line fighters and use them until pool is spent.

Group C- 'modern' fighters-Lagg-3, Yak-1, Mig-3: To national reserve to build and train. Exclusively.

Upgrades are to manual in all cases since I want to use up the crap airframes as cannon fodder while conserving the better stuff. However, every so often I'll sort the Group A/B regiments by experience and send any standouts (say 70+ exp.) to the NR to be converted to a newer model. Trial by fire.

When to commit the Group C fighters is a judgement call. It depends on how long the I-junk lasts. I'd really like to save them until spring 42, but that's probably too optimistic. By then, there'd be even better stuff sitting in the pool.
ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I just figured out that I'm loosing more Mig-3's per turn than I'm building each turn. D'oh.

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is supposed to be the T6 Axis moves:

Attachments
moves.gif
moves.gif (3.28 MiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz
Something I'm experimenting with is organization of the Soviet AF. My thoughts right now are that at start, I divide the Soviet FB's into 3 groups:

Group A- I-15/153's etc (anything with a '15' or '153'): gets converted to run bomber missions, and get allocated at ~ 200-300 to each Front. Use until pool is spent.

Group B- I-16 anything: Use these as the front-line fighters and use them until pool is spent.

Group C- 'modern' fighters-Lagg-3, Yak-1, Mig-3: To national reserve to build and train. Exclusively.

Upgrades are to manual in all cases since I want to use up the crap airframes as cannon fodder while conserving the better stuff. However, every so often I'll sort the Group A/B regiments by experience and send any standouts (say 70+ exp.) to the NR to be converted to a newer model. Trial by fire.

When to commit the Group C fighters is a judgement call. It depends on how long the I-junk lasts. I'd really like to save them until spring 42, but that's probably too optimistic. By then, there'd be even better stuff sitting in the pool.
When you say the planes from group A get converted you probably mean you upgrade them manually to a bomber, 10-4?
And you say you leave the group C fighters in the NR until the spring of '42? whoa.

My losses are higher than "normal" right now because I'm flying all the fighters I have.
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

No, not an aircraft change, a mission change. If you select an I-15 unit, the pop up window has a selection option to change to flying bomber missions. It will say "Currently Flying Fighter Missions". Change it to bomber.

The only times I spend AP's on changing airframes is when I 'harvest' the high-experience I-crap units. And changing that R-5 recon regt to SB-2 recons. That's it.
ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

When you say the planes from group A get converted you probably mean you upgrade them manually to a bomber, 10-4?
And you say you leave the group C fighters in the NR until the spring of '42? whoa.

My losses are higher than "normal" right now because I'm flying all the fighters I have.

Post by FredSanford3 »

Spring '42 is a goal.  It depends on losses amongst the I-crap and how long they can last.

In a pbem I'm playing right now, it's turn 5 and I have 1200 Migs/Yaks/Laggs in the NR.  Early on, they are low experience (30's-40's) and commiting them to battle just gets them killed.  But the thought of 3,000+ (at good experience too) hitting at once at some point? :drool

Overall as a strategic concept for the opening campaign, I try to think of my forces as being in two groups- the fighting/delaying group, and the reserve group.  My goal is to make the reserve group as large a %age overall as I can, while giving the fighting/delaying group the minimum it needs to hold the german's gains to a reasonable level.  The reserve group becomes the hammer at blizzard time.  Read TulliusDetritus' AAR- I like his approach.

Post by larryfulkerson »

I love the idea of pulling all the low experience units off the line and training them for an extended period.  Thanks.

EDIT: I've gotten one of the bypassed units adjacent to Warsaw again. I'm hoping I can move into the city and destroy all the industry there again. I've zipped up the save game file and have attached it here in case somebody wants to investigate the unit that will crash
into Warsaw.
Attachments
me vs Axis AI.zip
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

I also do the same for Il-2's and Pe-2's.  They all go to the NR.  That's why I change the I-15's to 'bomber' missions, so there will at least be some ground support.

Post by larryfulkerson »

I also do the same for Il-2's and Pe-2's.  They all go to the NR.  That's why I change the I-15's to 'bomber' missions, so there will at least be some ground support.
I re-read TD's AAR and I agree with him wholeheartedly. And I found that place where you change it into bombers. Thanks for that good
idea. I'm paying more attention to the air force than I did on the last game. I'm trying to raise the Axis losses without killing my air staff.
Also I'm keen on lowering my losses without losing out on some Axis kills. It's a strange balance of this and that and I'm not sure what
the answer is right now. I'm experimenting with several things. Like the Air Doctrine settings. I'm wondering if raising the % required to
fly is maybe a step in the right direction.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I thought this might be a really good time to rail all the good stuff out of N-town since it's on the frontline right now.

Attachments
zair losses.gif
zair losses.gif (217.84 KiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the T6 Soviet moves:

Attachments
moves.gif
moves.gif (3.3 MiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the end of turn T6 stats:

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (598.21 KiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the beginning of the turn T7 stats:

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (299.03 KiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the T7 Axis moves:

Attachments
moves.gif
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Well it's official, I invaded Warsaw and destroyed all the manpower there sort of, kinda. Well some of it at least.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (192.63 KiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is a picture of a couple of units that just appeared sw of Riga. I guess that maybe they routed there or ??? Maybe they've been
there all this time and I only just now noticed them. I don't know which it is.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (336.94 KiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

In an effort to cut down on the losses I've moved all the air groups that have less than a 40 morale to the NR. Now I guess I need to
find all the lowest morale ground troops and send them to Moscow so they can take in a movie or watch a show for a week or so. Then
back face down in the mud.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (201.64 KiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I filled up about a half a dozen empty air bases with 7 planes each and when I ran out of flyable planes I found that I still have about 7
empty airbases. I'm assuming that production will eventually fill the air bases, but disbanding all those SAD bases is still tempting.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (230.43 KiB) Viewed 38 times
larryfulkerson

RE: 1.05.45 Axis AI vs fulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the T7 Soviet moves:

Attachments
moves.gif

Return to “After Action Reports”