Legends - AI Tactics

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Fideach

Legends - AI Tactics

Post by Fideach »

Having been exposed in the last few games to some surprises from the AI empires, I would have to say I'm a lot more impressed with the strategy I've seen employed by the computer.

They surprised attack me, took over a colony, then disappeared. When I sent my fleets to the system, engaged in taking it over. I moved one fleet off to another system to refuel at a deployed resupply ship.. they choose to attack both targets with larger fleets at that time, simultaneously.

..Now only if the AI Designed ships could have matched mine. 2 vs 1 odds for both of my fleets in different systems, but still won.

Edit: Okay, there designs might be poor, but they have way too many of them.
Gelatinous Cube

RE: Legends - AI Tactics

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

Heh, the AI's no push over. The only way to assure victory is manage the build-up to war better than the AI, which is where humans have the real advantage anyway.

I've been game over'd by Boskarans three different times in Legends so far. I seem unable to learn from my mistakes.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

It seems that you've become an AI. [:D]
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

This is a bit off from what I was originally talking about; but anyone noticing the AI overriding about every command you give your own ships... usually so they can either let some base of yours die, or go on a suicide attack?
Gelatinous Cube

ORIGINAL: Fideach

This is a bit off from what I was originally talking about; but anyone noticing the AI overriding about every command you give your own ships... usually so they can either let some base of yours die, or go on a suicide attack?

Make sure you check both your empire policy and individual ship and fleet automation. They both make a difference in how commands are executed.
It seems that you've become an AI.

And so the AI Revolution begins. Not with I, Robot.. but with I, Robot Cube!
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube
ORIGINAL: Fideach

Make sure you check both your empire policy and individual ship and fleet automation. They both make a difference in how commands are executed.
It seems that you've become an AI.

And so the AI Revolution begins. Not with I, Robot.. but with I, Robot Cube!

What G Cube said!
I had fleets flying off and chasing pirates even when on manual because ships were set to attack 'nearby targets' or 'sector targets'. i then set them to 'system only' and also put their stance on 'defensive' (little shield icon at the bottom of the bottom left screent when fleets are chosen.

No problems since then.
Gelatinous Cube

And the best thing about fleet posture is it adds a third layer of context, besides the usual manual/auto layers. If you have a fleet set to Defend Sector, Home Base: AwesomeColony, then whether you have it set to auto or not it will still Defend Sector at AwesomeColony.

Really cool once you figure out how the layers intermix. There's an art to working with the AI, as opposed to trying to just over on its turf.
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

alright, thanks for the tip! I'll see if I'm not missing something in some automation.
I've order fleets to leave, but then one or two of them would always jump right back to die.

Hmm speaking of AI.. We need an AI tech branch in the game.. AI Computers, to control ships.. AI sabotage intelligence missions, AI rebellions.. you know, the usually ^.^
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I need to make sure the "defend colony" posture is on during war. It is annoying when you post a defense fleet and they drift off and is suddenly 11 seconds jump initiation away. Stupid AI designer and its economy drives, give me the fast jump ones, pretty please?

It seems the AI picks it target, and really forces the attack on it. It is cool when you hardly dare not having a powerful fleet defending every system near the border backed by a good sensor network to give some warning.

The AI does not attack a system quite as hard as I do when I sense major opposition. But it has taken a huge step towards that. And you really need to pay attention not to lose anything important during war.

A big change with the zone of influence is that you don't need to worry about the AI stealing the good spots of killed mining bases, or someone else snatching the spots of the ones killed by you. That is all controlled by the sphere of influence these days.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”