Thoughts on Arty control

Share your best strategy tips with other gamers here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

pcelt

Thoughts on Arty control

Post by pcelt »

I am by game background (early Avalon Hill board games) and also probably by temperament a bit of a micro manager
Re control of Div/Brig arty assets I have usually placed these under my control---but am aware that when you are managing a large number of arty assets as well as directing the overall direction of the battle, micromanaging is quite a challenge .
I would just like some feedback from experienced players as to whether they feel that arty assets left totally under Div/Brigade control perform in a totally effective manner re selection and timing of support bombardment and that you have felt totally confident in leaving them under AI control,
Thanks---hopefully i shall be able in near future to reduce all my requests for experienced advice.......
BletchleyGeek

RE: Thoughts on Arty control

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Some observations/guidelines which I use:

* In general, the AI does a sterling job managing artillery assets. This is very important in big scenarios with high complexity, since one can only focus on one hotspot at a time.

* For the attack, I usually allocate - by attaching it - artillery to the involved commands. This amounts to telling the AI which are the priorities. Getting the timing right for suppression or barrage fires can be difficult, I think it's better to leave the AI commander to decide.

* Keeping a pool of detached artillery assets is very useful in the defense, since one usually does a better job recognizing enemy troops concentrations.

Hope it helps, and keep the questions coming :)
pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Thanks again Bletchley for your insights---but also for your patience....
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: pcelt

Thanks again Bletchley for your insights---but also for your patience....

Patience? [X(] Man, you're going to make me blush or something [:'(]
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

Here's something I like to do on occasion: Give an Artillery order directly to a Divisional, or Regimental Headquarters, then all the artillery that is
available under that particular headquarters will be concentrated on the specified target. It can be pretty devastating. Then re-attach the headquarters and
it will go about it's business as usual and you don't have a bunch artillery to babysit.[8D] I've actually given Artillery orders directly to the board boss,
kind of a "Give me everything you got" and then dive for cover because it's going to be pretty intense, but it sure gets the job done.[:D]
pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Thanks Ghengis--never considered that concentration option -----with tactics like these your nom-de-plume seems well chosen.....
Cheers
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

It's not something you want to use a lot, because it can be pretty wasteful of Arty Ammo, but if you come across a high concentration of enemy units
in a small area it can be effective -- especially if it's not easy for them to disperse, like when you're holding one side of a bridge and the opponent is
piling up on the other side. I find myself keeping my artillery grouped along divisional lines and positioned so that the short, medium and long range
can be combined. This seems to be most important when I'm playing the German side with all their medium range rockets. If I do things right, then
I don't have to micro manage the artillery as much (If I do things right [:D]). It's also nice because you can choose the intensity level just by choosing the
level of headquarters: Battalion intensity, Regimental intensity, Divisional intensity and (hold on to your panties Martha) Board Boss intensity.
pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Question Genghis or possibly Martha (if she is still decently clad)----I should know this but in a practice attack re modded Epsom 4 battle I unleashed all the arty attached to Brit 29 Arm Brig on to a particular target-------potent stuff-------but was then uncertain of best way to call immediate halt to bombardment---------??? Martha/Ghengis
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

I've never tried to myself, but with the orders delay you may not be able to. You could try "re-attaching" the headquarters unit you issued the bombardment order to and see if that has any effect. I found the default bombardment period to be 11 minutes long
and usually the orders delay is longer then that, so like I said it can be wasteful of Arty Ammo. But if you're playing in realtime and you need a concentration of artillery real fast, it's the best method that I've found. I've also found, with this method in mind, I
tend to keep my artillery better organized.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

There doesn't seem to be much of a delay with direct orders to arty units. There is a delay - you have to lead quite a bit to hit moving targets, no doubt - but it's nothing like the delay to get move/attack orders down the line. At least that's how it's always felt to me. Perhaps takes longer to cancel an arty strike. Not sure. You can do it by highlighting the bombard icon over the target and backspacing. Or you could re-attach and let the AI decide to cancel.

Nice idea GK - to give a big order like that to the arty's HQ. Never tried it. I assume that it would take longer to take effect (because the orders delay might be similar to the usual one?) than if you give orders direct to an individual arty unit, or an arty group?
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

It doesn't seem to take any longer when I issue a bombardment order directly to a headquarters unit, but then I've never really tried to time the difference either.[:)]
What concerns me most is pouring that much artillery on to one set of coordinates, so I tend to hold it in reserve for those special occasions. If you know what I mean.[;)]

Return to “The War Room”