Hasty AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: 2xPelin

Redmarkus5

Hasty AAR

Post by Redmarkus5 »

After playing a few scenarios and starting (and losing) two campaigns, here are my main observations:

1. The AI is tricky and exploits gaps very well, cuts off units and generally gives you a tough time.

2. However, the game centers on supply sources and routes - the AI goes after those at all cost, so that even cut off enemy units will keep advancing deeper into enemy territory to capture that bridge or take that supply hex.

3. AI coding should be adjusted for realism so that cut off units attempt to break out to their own lines, not head deeper into enemy terrain.

4. Map and graphics are great.

5. Building and blowing bridges is a very neat feature - please add to WiTE Gary!!!

6. Maps are too small and too crowded, limiting tactical options.

7. Lack of stacking makes the game very unrealistic and exploitation is sometimes difficult after a successful attack.

In summary, a fun 'beer and pretzels' war game at the moment, with good potential once enhanced by the devs and modded by the community. OK value for money and I'll probably play it when not playing WiTE etc.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
ComradeP

RE: Hasty AAR

Post by ComradeP »

We noticed point 2/3 during testing as well, but it doesn't happen every time. I guess in a future update it would indeed be nice if the AI would try to maintain its supply lines (however, this could result in more conservative AI play and thus a bit worse AI play).

I'd disagree that the maps are too small, it's scaled in a certain way and that scale can only result in maps of this size so you could argue that the scale would need to be adjusted, but in this case I'd be against that as large parts of many scenarios would consist of no mans land that nobody cares about. Fall Blau is one of the operations that can be fairly accurately represented at this scale, due to the distances involved and the relative lack of participating combat units compared to offensive operations elsewhere.

Whether stacking is needed is a matter of preference, I'd say. I don't mind that you can't stack and it does mean that you have to do more planning for an attack than simply move a killer stack into position like you would in WitE.

I stand by my earlier statement that it's not a typical beer and pretzel game, but more of a mix of basic wargames with more serious ones, but you are naturally entitled to your own opinion.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
luer

Post by luer »

my first impressions after two hours of play.

The AI is challenging as described before. Especially in the beginning it knows much better than you how to efficiently form wedges into enemy territory.

I think the graphics are OK as they are. The busts are ugly but they are easily recognisable and do their job.

One of my main thoughts: is there an undo movement button ? If not, it is badly required. With no save option and the drag required to move the map I have made plenty of stupid moves. Maybe there is one.

Given the limited scope of the scenarios I think it would have been positive if experience (as well as losses) were passed on in the campaign. As I understand it now you can waste units away without negative impact.

In general, I think a bit more variety in the units would have been nice, but maybe this is not so important as you do not pass on stuff.

So far I like the game I think it is more than pure beer and pretzels. However, what makes me replay games a lot is if I form my BattleGroup from scenario to scenario so let's see. But anyway given I paid 42 SGD, the game gets a positive rating from me.

And, mz\y last post in the MatrixForum must have been in a private dev forum something like 6 years ago. If I never come back, well, it is not personal :).
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
6. Maps are too small and too crowded, limiting tactical options.

This is a huge drawback imo - scenarios feel like you're playing in a shoebox. I like the game overall though.

I'm still not sure how ZOCs work really though - sometimes the AI shoots past all of my units and cuts me off - not sure how they can ignore the ZOCs nor really when I can ignore them either. I'm always surprised by how far I can or can't move my units past enemy units.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I like this game a lot, it's a nice and relaxing change of pace after WitE.

Any plans to expand the game engine to cover the whole front?
WitE Alpha Tester
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I saw the zooming through my ZOC as well. I believe that unit strength affects ZOC strength, if I read that correctly...
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Well, I choose to drink beer and eat pretzels while playing Unity of Command :-)

WiTE, on the other hand, requires a good steak dinner and a big glass of red wine!
nenad

Post by nenad »

Re ZOC: Unlike some other games, in UoC enemy ZOC is not exerted over the frontline into the friendly territory. Consequently, when your unit enters a ZOC hex, the hex ownership will change discarding the ZOC. This, in turn, might make a room for other units to occupy previously unreachable ZOCs that lie behind.

This can be used to exploit weaknesses in enemy defense lines, penetrating through ZOCs deeper into the enemy territory. Unfortunately, AI knows how to do that too [;)]

Also, units that are marked "weak" (less than 3 active steps) do not exert ZOC at all.

P.S. Dev team officially encourages consuming beer and pretzels while playing UoC.
Cheers! [:D]

Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

This is the kind of AI 'exploit' I am concerned about. Because of a 1 hex gap in my line, the AI drives a lone unit to the map edge in a sort of kamikaze drive. The small map size means that this single unit 'cuts off' all of the Soviet units to the south, even though they are not actually cut off. Silly.

Attachments
AInonesense.jpg
AInonesense.jpg (716.67 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Noakesy

Post by Noakesy »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

This is the kind of AI 'exploit' I am concerned about. Because of a 1 hex gap in my line, the AI drives a lone unit to the map edge in a sort of kamikaze drive. The small map size means that this single unit 'cuts off' all of the Soviet units to the south, even though they are not actually cut off. Silly.

This has happened to me with the AI a couple of times, which is quite frustrating I agree. Would a human opponent do the same thing is the question I think (i.e. it's a glitch with the system maybe more than the AI)?
Noakesy
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I've found this also. You spend a lot of your resources defending your supply points???
Tony
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I like this aspect of the game. It took me awhile to learn how vicious the AI was going to be about this aggressive behavior.

I guess the best way to think of it is that by 1942 the Red Army had promoted more aggressive commanders. The bad effects of the purges were being worked out. The German successes of 1941 had made the rapid penetration technique hard to ignore. In this game both sides will exploit to cut supply lines. I actually think that a lot of the war was about defending your own access to fuel and ammo, and conversely disrupting the enemy access to those supplies. The book "War Without Garlands" by Robert Kershaw helped me see the priority these factors had in the war.

I believe turns are four days in this game, and the model reflects the anxiety that a unit will feel when supply is threatened in that time frame. I find myself losing interest in offensive maneuvers and looking to my rear. I imagine commanders in the East felt the same way. This is not a game for "fast and loose". You have to be aggressive to meet the deadlines, but one cannot do without the careful staff work that keeps your units potent.

I am liking the feel, lots of tension, and quick reversals.

Chuck

Edit : a typo.
sshenzhuzhu

Post by sshenzhuzhu »

I guess the best way to think of it is that by 1942 the Red Army had promoted more aggressive commanders.tea length wedding gowns The bad effects of the purges were being worked out.casual wedding gowns The German successes of 1941 had made the rapid penetration technique hard to ignore. In this game both sides will exploit to cut supply lines.couture wedding gowns I actually think that a lot of the war was about defending your own access to fuel and ammo,discount wedding gowns and conversely disrupting the enemy access to those supplies. The book "War Without Garlands" by Robert Kershaw helped me see the priority these factors had in the war.
sshdh

Return to “After Action Reports”