Are colony ships building slower?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

feelotraveller

Are colony ships building slower?

Post by feelotraveller »

I'm wondering if it is just one or other of the settings in my game, a rebalancing for Legends, or something else.

My colony ships are building very much slower. Like close to a year (10-11 months) for a stripped back earlyish coloniser... no weapons, armor, shields. Size 500.

I have a human, normal pop homeworld (10 billion+) but very expensive research game in a 15x15 1400 stars galaxy.

I really remember them building maybe twice as fast in ROTS. If its not a memory error anyone have an idea of the factors involved, or has colony ship production been markedly slowed.

My spaceport builds/refits seem to only take about as long as I remember which is why I ask.
grb1982

RE: Are colony ships building slower?

Post by grb1982 »

Probaly Has Something to do with the resource shortages in the early game. strip as many components as you can especialy those containing polymer steel and carbon fiber weapons dont seem to be a problem since they dont realy use any hard to find resources in large numbers now armor use alot of steel and you should avoid armoring anything til you have multiple steel mines built. I managed to get my colony ship down into the 490s size doesnt seem like that much of reduction but it use a lot less of the big three critical resources
A man from my country once said walk softly and carry a big stick. Well I say if you carry a big enough stick it realy doesn't mater how softly you walk.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Haven't had any problems myself, not noticed any difference.  and another mention of these illusive resource shortages, I'm still at 1 resource shortage ever, Cromium, about a year back...  How is everyone suffering so much early game?  I'm using Harsh homeworld too [&:]

Edit: Do you put your constructionship on manual or auto? On auto I notice they seem to build research stations before mines, thats not really a good idea in my experience. Apart from this I can't really offer any more advice, I really don't understand where these resource shortages are coming from.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
grb1982

Post by grb1982 »

The First 3 to 4 projects of each new constructer I do Manualy Usaly mines on steel Polymer Carbon fiber and Carsalon in that order then I Autamate Them I Can usally Build About 4 constructers very quickly my constructer designs are about 260 to 270 in size
A man from my country once said walk softly and carry a big stick. Well I say if you carry a big enough stick it realy doesn't mater how softly you walk.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

I'm wondering if it is just one or other of the settings in my game, a rebalancing for Legends, or something else.

My colony ships are building very much slower. Like close to a year (10-11 months) for a stripped back earlyish coloniser... no weapons, armor, shields. Size 500.

Yes, it is part of the re balancing for Legends. Colony ships are larger and slower to build, thus
making colonization more difficult. [8D]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Ah. Thanks Ed. Good to see I wasn't imagining things. [:)]

Should make for longer, more interesting games.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Yes, it is part of the re balancing for Legends. Colony ships are larger and slower to build, thus
making colonization more difficult. [8D]

Ta for the info! [:)]
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

I seem to have no problem out colonizing the AI empires often 10 to 2 or 3 which makes them easy to take down. I wonder if this is crippling the AI colonization efforts? Since colonization is the main way to get ahead in the game any AI improvement with this would be much appreciated!
grb1982

Post by grb1982 »

just took a look at my early constructer design its actualy excatly 250 in size

I'm trying to put a screen shot of the design in this post. my first time trying post a screen shot let see if it works

Attachments
20111128_203415.jpg
20111128_203415.jpg (428.72 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

In RotS, I almost never took control of my resource gathering operations. I would just auto-build five constructors straight off the bat, and it would be gravy from there.

Now, I am required to make some hard decisions as to how my initial time should be spent. It's an adjustment, but I like it.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Haven't had any problems myself, not noticed any difference.  and another mention of these illusive resource shortages, I'm still at 1 resource shortage ever, Cromium, about a year back...  How is everyone suffering so much early game?  I'm using Harsh homeworld too [&:]

It's because you are playing Harsh homeworld. [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”