Legends: leave your impressions here, pls!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Baleur

RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls!

Post by Baleur »

Yep, the buttons above the minimap are your friends
Eystein_hansen

Post by Eystein_hansen »

Awesome game. Having a lot of fun playing human in my first game and learning everything. If there is a very detailed victory screen with a high score list then this game will be a perfect single player game I will play many times.
jezwhywhy

Post by jezwhywhy »

How come when Im upgrading ships, they don't always prefer to upgrade to the fastest ~propulsion [upgrading from captured tech]

also

Is the only penalty to having research stations maintenance ? so i can have like 10x energy research stations around one planet?
---;@
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

ORIGINAL: jezwhywhy

How come when Im upgrading ships, they don't always prefer to upgrade to the fastest ~propulsion [upgrading from captured tech]

also

Is the only penalty to having research stations maintenance ? so i can have like 10x energy research stations around one planet?

It's very easy to reach the Research Cap that way. There's only so much you'll ever get from research stations.
Eystein_hansen

Post by Eystein_hansen »

Quite good game but I was massivly underwhelmed when the victory screen was only a "victory". I was hoping for a high score that would be stored attleast. Also I Had 200 troop carriers trying to attack a homeworld but they just refused to put the troops in the homeworld. Had to move them right on top of the planet then hit attack for them to actually put the troops on the planet. Sigh. 

Overall the beginning of the game is very very fun and gives challanges and new experiences all the time. The ai is a bit shabby in many instances still imho. I have had space stations not build and had to cancel them and rebuild to actually start building, i have had as mentioned earlier troop carriers that refused to attack homeworlds etc.

What im wishing for to make this a really good single player fun game is a high score so you can compare and compete with yourself. If I was to put my money on a game again maybe I would have bought skyrim instead of this as it is a bit cheaper total than distand worlds with all the expansions. But I have had some good fun and its nice to support small independent game companies so why not.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Eystein,

If you see something that's not working the way you think it should, make a save and upload it for us. That will help us a lot. We are sometimes amazed to see things in those save files that we never thought to try.

Your suggestion on the victory screen is a good one, we'll try to make that happen.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
MasterChief

Aliens don't like me at first

Post by MasterChief »

This game has so many incredible details incorporated “under the hood”! For example, a feature that adds to the immersion for me is the fact that no races, regardless of type, initial like me because they are ignorant of my “strange ways”. This has always bugged me in previous games of this genre when I meet an alien race for the first time and can immediately communicate,negotiate, cook smores around a camp fire and sing Kum by yah. [:D]
Chief of the Watch... Over the 1MC, pass the word... "DIVE!" "DIVE!"... sound two blasts of the Diving Alarm ... and pass the word, "DIVE! "DIVE!"
jezwhywhy

RE: Aliens don't like me at first

Post by jezwhywhy »

More nooby questions incoming..   retiring a ship with a fleet admiral kills the admiral -and-  retrofitting freighters or civilian ships doesnt happen?   i think i remember this was playing previous version, its when new ones are built ? 
---;@
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

retiring a ship with a fleet admiral kills the admiral

Report this in tech forum if you are playing the latest version of the game, I'm sure it was supposed to be fixed.  Are you using the beta patch?
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
jezwhywhy

Post by jezwhywhy »

little dissapointed when i put hyperdeny on my cruisers to have them interdict incoming hostiles   but it didnt work    :(
---;@
jezwhywhy

Post by jezwhywhy »

sorry im taking over this thread im just full of questions

diplomacy empire statutes is giving me detailed information on gdp, revenue etc of all empires how accurate is it? Is it an extrapolation based on known planets or more likely 100% all information on that empire even though I haven't shared empire maps or nothing?

---;@
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

little dissapointed when i put hyperdeny on my cruisers to have them interdict incoming hostiles   but it didnt work    :(

I believe what you are looking for is a gravity well.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa »

Ok I just got back from vacation and installed everything. Glad to hear everyone is loving it! Now I can only play for a hour, got lots of projects to do this week but I will play this up this weekend. Thanks for the awesome expansion! [:)][&o]
jezwhywhy

Post by jezwhywhy »

silvermist gotta die    late late game 

Found it via some exploration ship luckily had some Capital ships on a large map close by the bugger almost killed my flagship before it went down gotta lot of hp

The fleet i wanted to send after the silver mist had fuel issues.. at 1/4.. Guess I better put a large starbase down south

When I discovered the silvermist I panicked and sent all my southern militry (66lol) vessels to intercept (i think silvermist is stealth)

---;@
Eystein_hansen

Post by Eystein_hansen »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Eystein,

If you see something that's not working the way you think it should, make a save and upload it for us. That will help us a lot. We are sometimes amazed to see things in those save files that we never thought to try.

Your suggestion on the victory screen is a good one, we'll try to make that happen.

Regards,

- Erik

Thank you for considering a victory screen. I know it would make a world of difference for people that like to compare themself with something.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

I'm a late comer to the series and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by DW:Legends. Exploration hadn't ever felt so like, you know, exploration. I also like very much the pace of colonization, I wanted to celebrate with champagne when I got my first out-system colony :-) I spent two hours just sending around my survey ships, establishing research priorities and organizing fleets... very good stuff, really. If the 4X genre was one which many commentators feared was bound to die a death by a thousand failed releases, DW:Legends put back some hope into the heart of 4X fans.

I however found a few problems with the UI flickering at times (Colony screen, Ships and Bases screen) and widgets not having focus when they were supposed to (so I scrolled with the middle button and a different widget than the one I expected registered that). In any case, minor stuff.

Congratulations for a great game!
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

After five days of play I am at the end of the second game year. I do a lot of micro-management and careful AI trading (6 met of 19) in case that seems slow. There have been three non repeatable crashes at 9-12 hours of session time, but they seem to be from a memory link or some other problem rather than any code defect. The Legends release is wonderful. I have not encountered a silvermist yet, but every ship except the civilians has ion cannons, just in case of trouble. I give the game upgrade ten out of ten stars for playability!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
p.s. I will be posting an after action report soon, and am keeping track of things enough so that it will be detailed without getting into the micro-management aspects.
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

@jeeves: Yes, I had the same problem, left my notebook on and the game on pause because I had to leave urgently. So the game was "running" for about 10 hours total. When I came back, it crashed.

So now I tend to save and restart the game (not only load the save), if the session gets longer.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

More nooby questions incoming..   retiring a ship with a fleet admiral kills the admiral
This should *not* be happening - I specifically fixed this during beta-testing.

How are you retiring your ship? Are you sure you're not "Scrapping Immediately"? That would kill the Admiral for sure.
-and-  retrofitting freighters or civilian ships doesnt happen?   i think i remember this was playing previous version, its when new ones are built ? 
They will retrofit, but only once every two years. And only when they're not busy with something else. The advisor suggestion to retrofit will tell your private ships to retrofit once they are finished their current mission.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

HyperDeny components stop enemy ships from escaping (i.e. jumping to hyperspace) - they do not pull ships out of hyperspace.

To pull ships out of hyperspace you'll need the Gravity Well Projector component. But this is rather large and really only suited to use on bases.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”