michaelm: ops report suggestion

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Erkki

michaelm: ops report suggestion

Post by Erkki »

As we know both sides, and especially Japan, get a lot of OPS losses where ever their planes fly, even when they dont get damaged by enemy fire. These will get a lot of pilots WIA and KIA too.

The Ops report line for these losses are

"PLANE from UNIT crashes on landing"
"Pilot killed in landing accident of PLANE from UNIT"

and theres a third, something like

"PLANE does not return from mission, pilot reported KIA/MIA"

Now these are fine and very handy. The player gets the plane type and unit. However, where I have a problem is that if the report begins with the PLANE the line gets really easily lost between all the "grounded for maintenance" and "sights enemy TF/ship" etc. reports. And none of these reports mentions the home base of the unit, so that if the player does not know the unit locations by heart he or she will have to look up the unit(or ship) from the land/naval based air unit list before he or she can add a new pilot or plane from replacements, if required.

Michaelm, could it be possible to change the reports to look like

"Lost aircraft: PLANE from UNIT at BASE/SHIP crashes at landing" + "pilot killed/wounded"
or if the plane doesnt get destroyed but pilot is KIA:
"Lost pilot as killed/wounded: PLANE from UNIT at BASE/SHIP landing accident"
or
"Lost aircraft: PLANE from UNIT at BASE/SHIP does not return from mission, pilot reported KIA/MIA"

Or something. That way, the player reading the OpsReport would immediately see all his or her OPS losses in both planes and pilots and where these units, now requiring new planes and pilots, are located. Personally I now lose on average about 4-5 planes/turn to no enemy action whatsoever and will have to hunt down those units and see if they need pilots and/or planes.

What do you all think?
PaxMondo

RE: michaelm: ops report suggestion

Post by PaxMondo »

Erkki, have you tried Combat Reporter?  A very useful tool as it organizes these message very nicely.  Highly recommended for IJ players.
Pax
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Erkki, have you tried Combat Reporter?  A very useful tool as it organizes these message very nicely.  Highly recommended for IJ players.

Yes, I do have the Combat Reported. Doesnt help much, as it does not give the base either or tell what happened to the plane when pilot got killed(I'm very close to 100% sure it doesnt always get destroyed) - it just sorts the combat, sigint and ops reports .txt files.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Sorry, guess I miss understood your question.
Pax
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Erkki

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Yes, I do have the Combat Reported. Doesnt help much, as it does not give the base either or tell what happened to the plane when pilot got killed(I'm very close to 100% sure it doesnt always get destroyed) - it just sorts the combat, sigint and ops reports .txt files.

I am not sure what you are asking Erkki is the IJ Combat Reports Different than Allies?

I beleive your question is not with Michealm but with the author of combat reports. I use two places to get this information. Let me provide an example.

In the Damaged section:

PBY-4 Catalina from VP-102 Det crashes on landing

Blenheim IF from No.27 Sqn RAF is damaged on landing

BUT in the Pilot section:

Pilot killed in landing accident of SBD-2 Dauntless from VS-6

Pilot killed in landing accident of SBD-2 Dauntless from VS-6

So you have to look at two places to find all the information. Those two SDB-2's are not in the damaged section, but sure enough they were goners on December 13th ...;)

So, yes I have to go open up VS-6 in this case and check for operation losses ..if I want that detail .. but here is a thought ...

What I do every turn is check WitpTracker for "airlosses," which breaks down losses into A2A operational etc by type [the WitP AE information screen does the same]..., I check Combat Reporter and the Damaged & Pilot section. If the ops losses match damaged it makes sense match up 2 pilots with the operational losses of SDB-2's and I have a picture of the planes and/or pilots that need attention. I can always open up VS-6 on the next level ..

Then it is back to WitPTracker and open up the indvidual pilot fatigue level to check if a correlation exists .. which is often does ..if not experience level ..

I think it is probably best to solve your requirements this way because if those txt files change much then I suspect combat reporter will break and a lot of people will be upset [;)]

Sometimes you have to put together lots of information bits to construct the big picture ...but it is all there [8D]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

I know the information is there. What bothers me is:

1) if I dont know the unit location by heart, I'll have to open the air unit screen, find the unit, and click it to be able to give it a new plane and/or pilot
2) OPS losses in Operations Report do not start with "aircraft lost" or something but with the name of the plane(unless if the pilot also got killed) and they are easily lost between the hundred lines of naval search sightings...

Its actually quicker to first go to intel screen and see the ops losses of the day and only then go read combat report now that I know what types of planes I'm looking for - just to see which unit they were from, so that I know which units I need to locate using the air unit menu... [:@]

[;)][:'(]
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Erkki

I know the information is there. What bothers me is:

1) if I dont know the unit location by heart, I'll have to open the air unit screen, find the unit, and click it to be able to give it a new plane and/or pilot
2) OPS losses in Operations Report do not start with "aircraft lost" or something but with the name of the plane(unless if the pilot also got killed) and they are easily lost between the hundred lines of naval search sightings...

Its actually quicker to first go to intel screen and see the ops losses of the day and only then go read combat report now that I know what types of planes I'm looking for - just to see which unit they were from, so that I know which units I need to locate using the air unit menu... [:@]

[;)][:'(]

I would propsoe that you describe a different problem .. maybe the author of WitPTracker could constuct such a report? Gather all the information in combat reporter and frame up a report that aligns up aircraft losses, with pilot losses and locations of the units ...

EDIT: I have included a WitPTracker view for Insufficent Pilots Note the group, type, and location are depicted in that report

In the meantime I use WitPTracker every turn to manage pilots and fatigue irregardless of losses. Click the "pilots needed" selection on the pilot mangement screen and you can see the units that need filling out.

That might be better than Michealm digging in the code to create a report ..which I doubt he will do [;)]

Attachments
insufficient pilots.jpg
insufficient pilots.jpg (349.31 KiB) Viewed 34 times
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks ! I didn`t even know that report was in there...Tracker is better then Ice Cream..[:D]
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Thanks ! I didn`t even know that report was in there...Tracker is better then Ice Cream..[:D]

You bet .. usually a rash of pilot landing crashes gets me to look at the units that need pilots and fatigue ..[;)]
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Yeah the WitPTracker trick works, but thats again the same couple of clicks just to get the unit and even then only if it lost a pilot too... And I like to have at least 1 or 2 extra pilots in every unit so it wont work any way. [:(]

Return to “Tech Support”