Legends Question / Comments

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

geosch

Legends Question / Comments

Post by geosch »

I have played a few games of Legends and agree that it is a step forward in the series, although not as big a step as I had hoped.

Anyhow, a few questions/comments;

1. I thought that you would be able to colonioze worlds that were in another empire's area of control IF you were at war with that empire. I've had two games now that I have had to go to war and eliminate an empire just to colonize one of its planets. It would also be nice if the colonization rights were a tradeable item.

2. Automatic exploration sucks. My exploration ships just sit "waiting". "Waiting" on what?

3. Automatic construction: ditto. If I don't manually control these suckers they harly ever mine for steel, which I desperately need. But I have gas mines all over the place, but I can't build the ships to use them.

4. Resource selection: It would be nice if there was a column (when looking at resource sconsumption/production) that showed net demand. And if this column could be sorted - yippee! - I could easily see which resources were most critical. Perhaps the automatic constructor programcould use that column also?

5. It would also be nice that a single click on the news ticker or pop-up would center your view on that item - without zooming! A double-click would zoom.

6. Finally, very frustrating, sometimes I mistakenly click a build order for the wrong item, and realize my mistake immediately. However, even if the game is paused I still have to pay a 50% (restocking?) fee to delete the build order. This is ridiculous.

Otherwise, a nice bame although a bit more micro-managing than I personally would design (if I could design!).

Nedrear

RE: Legends Question / Comments

Post by Nedrear »

ORIGINAL: geosch

1. I thought that you would be able to colonioze worlds that were in another empire's area of control IF you were at war with that empire. I've had two games now that I have had to go to war and eliminate an empire just to colonize one of its planets. It would also be nice if the colonization rights were a tradeable item.

A colony gives you a political claim. I know of Russia selling the arctic, but I don't believe this will be appropiate in a political trade... just forget it!
I could think of a possibility to create a neutral colony where both share the income and expenses in a friendly territory, denying any political claim. That would suck big time though and I doubt anyone would do it.

To sum it up: Think realistic and political and your idea of inner territory colonisation is stupid. Only way that owuld work if your new colony joins the enemy empire...

I agree with the "at war" idea to colonize though. In a war the zones should be inactive to build mines or colonies.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

2. Automatic exploration sucks. My exploration ships just sit "waiting". "Waiting" on what?
Ok Exploration got better at Legends but still not perfect, but.
When your Explor ship are waiting there is prolly nothing to explore anymore.
They need a new funktion after that, Search for Pirates. They should revisit systems/clouds and look for pirate presents.
4. Resource selection:
Looks like there is a mistake at the Private AI at moment.

cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: Canute
Ok Exploration got better at Legends but still not perfect, but.
When your Explor ship are waiting there is prolly nothing to explore anymore.
They need a new funktion after that, Search for Pirates. They should revisit systems/clouds and look for pirate presents.
4. Resource selection:
Looks like there is a mistake at the Private AI at moment.

Are you sure Exploration Ships just sit around waiting?

On automated I believe they would be busy until the entire Galaxy is explored.

Open the Galaxy Map Hotkey G and see if there is still something to explore.

If there's not and that's why they are idle, retrofit them into a scout/pirate killer.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

5. It would also be nice that a single click on the news ticker or pop-up would center your view on that item - without zooming! A double-click would zoom.

Seconded!
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

yes, the colonization should be possible when at war
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: geosch

The intention is that you should be able to colonize in their territory while at war. If that's not working, it's a bug.

Not seeing this at all. My automated explorers keep exploring until I tell them to stop. Could you provide more information?
3. Automatic construction: ditto. If I don't manually control these suckers they harly ever mine for steel, which I desperately need. But I have gas mines all over the place, but I can't build the ships to use them.

Based on this and other reports, we're going to make some adjustments to automated construction priorities.
4. Resource selection: It would be nice if there was a column (when looking at resource sconsumption/production) that showed net demand. And if this column could be sorted - yippee! - I could easily see which resources were most critical. Perhaps the automatic constructor programcould use that column also?

You mean other than in the expansion planner?

Interesting suggestion.
6. Finally, very frustrating, sometimes I mistakenly click a build order for the wrong item, and realize my mistake immediately. However, even if the game is paused I still have to pay a 50% (restocking?) fee to delete the build order. This is ridiculous.

Sorry, unfortunately once the paperwork goes through, getting the bureaucracy to change course is costly. [;)]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Sorry, unfortunately once the paperwork goes through, getting the bureaucracy to change course is costly. [;)]

Regards,

- Erik

Gee, that is what I told my wife when I bought the last two expansions [:D]
geosch

Post by geosch »

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

To sum it up: Think realistic and political and your idea of inner territory colonisation is stupid. Only way that owuld work if your new colony joins the enemy empire...

Stupid, huh?

1. I can list numerous episodes in history (=RL) where colonization rights were traded, just off the top of my head - try looking up the Line of Demarcation that Portugal and Spain drew up. In my latest game, I am talking about a one planet empire with a large area of control - within which there is a planet growing Loros Fruit. He's not even exercising any interest in his 200 mile limit.

2. I can also imagine a game/future where you have space empires overlap each other as oxygen breathers share space with hydrogen floaters - and have interests in different resources/planets.

Touche' ! [:)]
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

yep, and for an example, just look at the shuffling around of territory between the colonial empires. or more recently the eastern mediterranean.
geosch

Post by geosch »

Erik,

Thanks for the response.

1. It looks like a bug to me.
2. The galaxy was only 50% explored the first time this happened, and they all had fuel. I might be able to dig up a saved game if you're really interested.
3. Good!
4. I don't see a net column in the expansion planner, only stocks and demand. Or is the demand column there the net (unsatisfied) demand? If so, I apologize. So, if it says I have 5k Loros fruit stock and 3k demand, you are saying that I have 3k demand yet to fill. I thought it went like this; stock-demand= net demand, and in this example I had a 2k Loros surplus.
5. great. do it!
6. seriously, this is not right. If the production of the item has not yet been started on, and the deletion is promptly done there should be no charge.

Thanks again for following up on this stuff - !!
ToastySandwich

Post by ToastySandwich »

Was the explorer damaged? I believe that if the ship's hyperdrive is damaged after an attack it won't be able to explore.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Geosh,

Just a quick note to say that yes, in the Expansion Planner the demand listed there is net (unsatisfied) demand.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
geosch

Post by geosch »

toasty,

I actually had 12 exploration ships, at least 10 (undamaged and fueled) were sitting there saying "waiting".
geosch

Post by geosch »

Erik,

Just to be clear on this, sorry but resource management has been driving me crazy, if my planner says I have 50K stock of Silicon and 0.5k consumption - does that mean I have a 100 days/months/years of supply? (50/0.5= 100).

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Geosh,

Just a quick note to say that yes, in the Expansion Planner the demand listed there is net (unsatisfied) demand.

Regards,

- Erik
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

No since the demand can rise or sink to 0. It is just a stock you already mined... it can drain quick. Just take it as a reason not to build more silicon mines.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Its possible that there are pirates are nearby and the explorer ships are waiting for you to clear the threats. Or they are damaged and/or out of fuel, maybe waiting to be refuel?
geosch

Post by geosch »

I understand that BOTH stocks and demand can change, I was just asking for confirmation that my understanding was correct, and also to get an idea of what time frame the demand relates to. Is it per day/weeek/month/year, or what. How long will my stocks last if I don't add any more (and demand remains constant)?
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

The demand is "per now" your current plans of building things. Nothing beeing build = no demand.

geosch

Post by geosch »

I did a quick check and I did have a game saved while this was going on, the attached jpg shows many of the 10 ships "waiting", while there were three more ships also "waiting".

There may have been some pirates, but enough to cause all these ships to wait?

As you can see, most have fuel and are not damaged.

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Its possible that there are pirates are nearby and the explorer ships are waiting for you to clear the threats. Or they are damaged and/or out of fuel, maybe waiting to be refuel?

Attachments
explorationships.jpg
explorationships.jpg (43.23 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”