Legends Modding Discussion

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

lordxorn

Legends Modding Discussion

Post by lordxorn »

I have some questions about modding Legends in preparation for updated my Star Wars mod for Legends.

So I figure this could be the central thread for getting this done, since we are waiting on the customization guide.

This is how far I have gotten so far...
I have character images for my race RebelAlliance which go in
customization\RebelAlliance\characterImages

Where does the actual text file go?
I also understand the text file needs to be named RebelAlliance.txt and all the characters should have RebelAlliance added for their optional name of race, which must match the race name found in the races folder.

So I also need to add RebelAlliance to the races folder outside of Customization folder? OR just have it in the RebelAlliance custom race folder, which is how Elliot has always done it in the past?

This is very confusing now,lol

Also has anyone figured out how to edit the Galactopaedia?
James009

RE: Legends Modding Discussion

Post by James009 »

hehe, I've spent all day messing with the characters and wondering what is possible. I'm going to do some tests and see how the system works. I'm hoping we can assign character images (via the characters folder) and also generate characters (via the characterimages folder).

I don't think we'll have to use the old races file anymore... just my theory. I think and theorize there may be some redundant data due to the update... could be wrong though, lol.

My question, other then character stuff, is can we edit the technologies, creatures, weapons, and just how deep can we mod?
Igard

Post by Igard »

I'm just testing this out myself. From what I can gather;

Create 2 folders in customization, characters and characterImages.

Copy one of the vanilla character txt files into the characters folder. The vanilla character files are located in Distant Worlds/characters.

Place your png image in characterImages folder.

Enter the details in the correct character txt file eg 'Rebels.txt', the first 3 entries are simple enough. For the filename you simply type for example, 'hansolo.png' (the file in characterImages).

You then have 8 fields to enter the character skills. The first field selects the skill, the second field is the amount for that skill (-100 to 100). The 3rd field is for the second skill, and so on...

Then there are 3 fields at the end of the line for the character traits.

This is LOADS of fun. [:)]
Data

Post by Data »

Ohoo, the big boys began the detective work already....so Legends will be even cooler with the mods that will come out [&o]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: Igard

You then have 8 fields to enter the character skills. The first field selects the skill, the second field is the amount for that skill (-100 to 100). The 3rd field is for the second skill, and so on...

This is LOADS of fun. [:)]

Igard,

There are 43 skills, so does that mean they can only have 4 skills, or can we add more to the 4 there?
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

Isn't it randomized?  I thought the character file was so that you could 'set' something otherwise it was going to be random...like for the leaders that appear you have to use them so that they develop traits.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

Isn't it randomized?  I thought the character file was so that you could 'set' something otherwise it was going to be random...like for the leaders that appear you have to use them so that they develop traits.
That might be the case in the absence of predefined leaders, because all of the vanilla races only list one character.
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

Igard,

There are 43 skills, so does that mean they can only have 4 skills, or can we add more to the 4 there?

I think we can only add 4 skills. I would assume if we try to add more, it would confuse them with the traits fields.

@Sim, lordxorn is correct, it's only random if you don't create a list of characters.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

Well, I just added Susana Luchenko as my B5 Ambassador and I'm working on adding Sinclair, Bester, and all the others.  Getting my eyes wrapped around that text file is truly challenging. lol
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

Well, I just added Susana Luchenko as my B5 Ambassador and I'm working on adding Sinclair, Bester, and all the others.  Getting my eyes wrapped around that text file is truly challenging. lol

I agree,

I am working on an excel file with all the traits and a character planning sheet that can be exported to the text in a format good for the game.

I am not promising anything because while I am pretty good at Excel, I am a noob at VBA.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I am okay with Visual Basic, if you need a debugger, you know where I am....
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

This excel spreadsheet would be awesome, and relevant to my interests.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

I am okay with Visual Basic, if you need a debugger, you know where I am....

Ok glad you asked =P

I just figured out how to enable the developer tab in excel, and now I know where that code needs to go. Now I will work on making it all work.
=)
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

How much else have we figured out?

If we define a set of characters, yet more are generated than we predefine, do you still get the generics or do you limit yourself by using a limited list?

I would assume that if one was to use a generic character photo, you could point several characters to it without issues.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

Since you can "rename" them ingame just give the same generic character the picture 100 times and you got 100 characters name: "Fleet Admiral 1... Fleet Admiral 100". Rename them ingame and have your pictures.

Still I hate it!
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Characters can all have the same names and can use the same pictures. If you don't set a picture then they will use the race picture of the race you define.
However if you define characters you have to define their traits and skills, far from ideal.
Igard

Post by Igard »

I'm creating a bunch of generic characters. Ensign Smith, Lieutenant Brown etc, with the same image. Yes you have to define some skills, but they're only minor characters, so they don't need to be detailed or have any traits.

Obviously there are lots of minor races in the Star Trek mods, so they'll use alot more generic characters.

It's a bit more work, but I think it'll be worth it.

Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

I have a question for you guys.

I am planning on doing some work for my shipyards. Some of it includes weapons graphics. However I won't have any way to check changes for myself any time soon beacuse of the whole paypal thing. So I figured I might just ask you guys:
-Are there any changes in weapons images folder?
-Are weapons sprites affected in any way by the graphics renderig system overhaul in Legends? (Quality compared to RotS, resolutions etc.)
-Have anybody been able to crack the beam graphics mistery? Can it be modified?
-Any changes in the sprites animations? (Rotation, streching etc.)

Can anyone help me with finding an answer to this questions?
Igard

Post by Igard »

Hi, K. I'll try to answer.

1. There is now a beam_8.png and a torpedo_7.png. The beam_8 is the new railgun sprite. Not sure what the torpedo_7 is though. A heavy missile by the looks of it. (I never research missiles).
2. No change as far as I can tell. Looks like everything is the same res.
3. Not yet I'm afraid. I would love to change the phaser effect, but then I would prefer to have more than 1 type of phaser.
4. You mean like hyperjump animations and the like? There is of course the silvermist creature, but apart from that, I don't think there are any new images or changes. Haven't looked at that yet.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Are we still limited on the number of shipsets, or can we have a shipset for every race we add now?

Thought I read something about that somewhere, but I can't remember nor find it again.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Design and Modding”