Scanner Networks

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gelatinous Cube

Scanner Networks

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

How do I set up a long-range scanner network without having to Micro? Is the best way to just queue up a bunch of "Build Monitoring Station" missions?
sanderz

RE: Scanner Networks

Post by sanderz »

I just click on each planet i want a MON and then click the "build mon station" which auto ques a construction ship
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

ORIGINAL: sanderz

I just click on each planet i want a MON and then click the "build mon station" which auto ques a construction ship

I build them on most of my outter planets, and eventually the auto-designed Medium and Large spaceports have scanners as well. What I want to know is what's the best way of creating a deep space network. Like.. surrounding your entire cluster with a deep scanner network. I know someone on these forums must have it down to a science!
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

It is likely to be more efficient to have an agent network embedded to get the operational maps of likely hostile AIs.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I rarely find it necessary to entirely surround my territory with monitoring stations, but I've often built an early warning line of "pickets" in one direction or another. It usually just takes a few queued missions for my construction ships and that takes care of it.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
balto

Post by balto »

I have not used Long Range Scanners yet, but I will starting today to see how that works.

With that said, let me know if I am missing the point here.

Your borders are sort of never predetermined, they are fluid. So you never really establish an "outer frontier."

Can't you just put a LR Scanner Monitor on a ship or two with some shields and some engines and set it to run at 50% shield?
balto

Post by balto »

You can also stick one on a Space Port. So I guess I do not understand why anyone would use Monitoring Station. Please let me know.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

I build them on most of my outter planets, and eventually the auto-designed Medium and Large spaceports have scanners as well. What I want to know is what's the best way of creating a deep space network. Like.. surrounding your entire cluster with a deep scanner network. I know someone on these forums must have it down to a science!

One of the primary methods I use is as follows: {Internal Sensor Net}

1. Build 1 monitoring station in each of the sectors surrounding my homeworld sector (Every game)
2. Manually place each station for full/best effect - I try to place the station at the best
outermost system of each sector.

The secondary method is: {Expanded Sensor Net Plus}

1. Build a Monitoring station in the next outermost ring of sectors. But I only put them
in a sector in line with my Homeworld sector and any other Factions' sector, like Erik's comment.
2. I love to place a monitoring station in bland mining systems (systems that mainly contain
just Barren Rock planets and Asteroid belts. They rarely get noticed,
3. I also make sure that my Resort Base Designs have a three-fold purpose:
a.) That it contains at least two or more of each of the research labs (weapons, energy, high tech)
especially great for those locations that have both Resort AND Research bonuses.
b.) That it contains a Resource Sensor and a Mining component with a few extra Cargo bays
(in case I discover a resource location such as a Gas Giant with Fire Rings as a Resort bonus AND
it has gases I could use - Caslon, Hydrogen, Argon, etc.).
c.) I ALWAYS include a Long Range Sensor. Which effectively makes it a WELL-ARMED Monitoring
Station (especially when placed in a Neutron Star system. For some reason, the bonuses most
likely, Neutron Stars attract MANY different factions.
Hope this helps! Enjoy the game!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Litjan

Post by Litjan »

I like to build very cheap ships with only a long-range scanner on them and some solar panels - then I park these at suitably locations to give me a flexibly coverage (think AWACS)

Jan

Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

There is no way to setup a Scannernetwork automaticly like at the X-Universe to deploy these Satelites.

You can order to build a monitor station at the most objects, but the AI never would build them at their own, like it would build Mining/science stations.

I allways use long-range scannes on any Starbase and Resort bases (since this base create income) but dont on Science Base.

When i researched Ultra-Long range scanner i design Monitor station with them, and build manualy on the Grid Crosses to detect Pirate bases pretty early.

soilwork595

Post by soilwork595 »

Is there a way to find out the range of your Monitoring Station and scanners?
balto

Post by balto »

I know a long cut. Go to your Emoire Expansion window and find a planet that is the same distance as the scanner range, then compare it on the big map and you can wing-it.

I also wish the Range was included in the Ships in the design screen. I know you can see the distance circle, but when you are designing, you do not have a ship yet to check it out.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”