Empire starting differences

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

w1p

Empire starting differences

Post by w1p »

Is there a way to get it so that everybody starts at a decent distance away from each other? Nothing worse than getting halfway through a game and finding that 4 or 5 empires have all started in the same cluster, it slows down their expansion massively, let alone if their in yours!!

If I select the average distance or far distance then everybody always ends up clumped up normally, especially the distant ones. This is on all map times even ring, with me in the centre / edge / outer rim / far edge etc.

Ufarsin

RE: Empire starting differences

Post by Ufarsin »

I believe that selecting "distant" in the setup means distant from YOU.
So they will tend to bunch up on the other side of the galaxy.. thats my experience anyway.
Data

Post by Data »

Spot on, Ufarsin, it's indeed like this.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The distance is the distance from you. If you leave it on random and have enough stars and a large enough galaxy, they will start as evenly distributed as possible given the available planets and systems with enough potential.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
w1p

Post by w1p »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it's in respects to you, I basically wanted a way that perfectly spreads out the empires over the space available eg. 1 per cluster on cluster maps or 1 per 2x2 sectors on irregulars. What I didn't think about is that different empires use different planets + there's different potentials, so even if it did place them systemattically, the gameplay would probably suffer. Thanks for pointing that out erik :)

Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

ORIGINAL: w1p

Is there a way to get it so that everybody starts at a decent distance away from each other? Nothing worse than getting halfway through a game and finding that 4 or 5 empires have all started in the same cluster, it slows down their expansion massively, let alone if their in yours!!

If I select the average distance or far distance then everybody always ends up clumped up normally, especially the distant ones. This is on all map times even ring, with me in the centre / edge / outer rim / far edge etc.

I complained about this 2 years ago, but after the second expansion still nothing has happened...

If I m in an edge of the galaxy, normally one other edge is crowded with 4-7 of the AI empires, and another edge has 1-2 empires.
What that means for the balance of the game, is obvious...

So the ritual goes like this for starting a new game:
1. new game
2. open editor, check for clustered empires
3. new game

... repeat about 10 to 30 times
and live with 2 empires starting next to each other with overlapping spheres...

at least make me able to drag the other empires home system to a new location in the editor, so that i dont have to reload so much
w1p

Post by w1p »

a drag and drop feature would be good, I'm assuming the AI re-evaluates the world quite often or atleast when you shut the editor, as I've fiddled with the starting world MASSIVELY before (to make empires spread out) and the AI takes to it like a duck to water.

[insert random compliment to AI here]

:)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”