Why are there only so few SE-Units?

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Ralle

Why are there only so few SE-Units?

Post by Ralle »

It`s clear that SE means SS...Ok, as I live in Germany I know the Germans law about this...
And it`s easy to overwrite it...
It`s Ok, that you can only have three of these special units, although I would prefer four...
But I don`t really understand that you can only have some infantry and tanks...
As far as I know, there where SS-Cavalry and parachuters too... And most heavy anti-tank troops where SS too...
Lord Zimoa

RE: Why are there only so few SE-Units?

Post by Lord Zimoa »

SE units classes are limited to Panzer, Heavy (Motorized representing the cavalry) Infantry and Mountain. They are rewards really, strong and special, nurse them carefully as they hold no extra unit slot, so are a real bonus much further in the game!
Ralle

Post by Ralle »

I know that they are bonuses and quite usefull...I`m only asking why they are limeted to some infantry (instead of nearly all) and tanks...
I think there should be SE-AT, too...especially when self propelled
Ralle

Post by Ralle »

If you think of the guys who freed mussolini from the Gran Sasso...they where SS-Parachuters...so a historical unit...
And so I think they should be part of the game
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

If you think of the guys who freed mussolini from the Gran Sasso...they where SS-Parachuters...so a historical unit...
And so I think they should be part of the game

The SS Friedenthalgroup that freed Mussolini, was not a real parachute unit or even a real combat unit, let alone a commando unit, they were trained originally as a terror and sabotage group, never massing more than 350 men trained as a SS special "Abwehr" group. That makes their raid  maybe even more spectacular, but for this game`s scale rather irrelevant.

Even after the famous Mussolini liberation, their focus was on sabotage, assassination and terror against mainly civil targets than being a combat focused command.

Also on the game`s scale perspective we deal in Panzer Corps with brigade/division/corps sized units, I really see no historic nor strategic use for SE parachute units at this point.

But who knows we may add one just for fun, as that is what counts.... ;-)

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ
Ralle

Post by Ralle »

Of course they were not quite o mass of soldiers...
But think of the Panzer Maus...did it really had any effect on the war? Or is it just nice to have it in the game?

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Of course we make fun games, not historic simulations. The good thing is, it can be easily modded into the game and some may love it, others may not, so it is a hard decision for us as a developer to do it or not, where does it stop...

We made a design decision we would, for the base Panzer Corps at least, limit SE to Panzer, Heavy (Motorized representing cavalry and Mountain (Jager) units as historically that contains most of the SS divisions. We might add more SE classes, in the upcoming bigger expansions... time will tell. ;-)
Ralle

Post by Ralle »

Well we`ll see...
Yes clearly things like this could be in a mod...But I don`t really like mods, because with every new official update they get overwritten...
So I try to keep the game mostly original
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Ralle

Well we`ll see...
Yes clearly things like this could be in a mod...But I don`t really like mods, because with every new official update they get overwritten...
So I try to keep the game mostly original
There's a tool for managing mods, called Generic Mod Enabler.
tm.asp?m=2891806
You don't have to overwritten the mods when updating.
Just deactivate them before updating.[:)]
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Sorry, double post.
Ralle

Post by Ralle »

Oh thanks...maybe I should try this...

Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

It`s Ok, that you can only have three of these special units, although I would prefer four...
But I don`t really understand that you can only have some infantry and tanks...
As far as I know, there where SS-Cavalry and parachuters too... And most heavy anti-tank troops where SS too...

I must have missed the fact that you can only have three units? I accepted one after each of the first three scenarios (2 Grenadier and a Gebrgsjager), and was wondering why I never got another unit, and no tanks. So what if I disband one, will I get offered a new one after the next battle?
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

You've three SE slots. If one slot gets empty, you have the chance of having another SE in the end of the scenario or in the next scenarios.

Take a look at this Common Questions sticky thread in the Slitherine forum: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27283
Ralle

Post by Ralle »

I tried the generic mod enabler...
but somehow it doesn`t really work I think...I´ll see for sure after the next update, bur not every mod I have is listed...
e.g. the SE-infantry in black made by a dude from DMP
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

but somehow it doesn`t really work I think...I´ll see for sure after the next update, bur not every mod I have is listed...
Which mod specifically?
Remember that the mod must replicate exactly Panzer Corps folder structure in the MOD folder.
Ralle

Post by Ralle »

Well I downloaded some new unit designs from DMP... most important the one with black uniforms for SS/SE-infantry...but these I can`t find in the GME
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

That program is a lifesaver. I have the original PG mod and the Afrika Corp mod and both work fine with the Mod enabler.

Return to “Panzer Corps”