OT: Hitler

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Footslogger

OT: Hitler

Post by Footslogger »

Was Hitler part jewish?[X(] There was a program on the History Channel that talked about hitler's family.
Mehring

RE: OT: Hitler

Post by Mehring »

Not conclusively proven AFAIK, but I do recall reading some quite strong evidence.
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Since being Jewish is a choice one makes for one's self, the obvious answer is no.

Ascribing to a religious creed is a choice. I don't think Mr. A chose Judaism, but then again, I never read more than 1 book by Glanz, so what do I know about history...
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
jazman

Post by jazman »

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

Since being Jewish is a choice one makes for one's self, the obvious answer is no.

Ascribing to a religious creed is a choice. I don't think Mr. A chose Judaism, but then again, I never read more than 1 book by Glanz, so what do I know about history...

If your mother is Jewish, Jews consider you to be Jewish. It's genetic, too.
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: jazman
It's genetic, too.

OH Lord....here we go....
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Erhard Milch had a Jewish father, (which triggered a Gestapo investigation, squelched by Goring.)

His mother claimed that his real father was her uncle.

And yeah, let's not go down the genetic road.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Fänrik Stål

Post by Fänrik Stål »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Was Hitler part jewish?[X(] There was a program on the History Channel that talked about hitler's family.
Which part of him did they say was Jewish?
"Släpp ingen djävul över bron!"
horse1974

Post by horse1974 »

What has this to do with the game? [8|]
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

ORIGINAL: horse1974

What has this to do with the game? [8|]
Nothing. As the thread heading says, OT: Off Topic.

As for Jews and genetics, I've never been to a Synagogue in my life but every time I see that great conk, thin top lip, and general shape of my face and head in a mirror, I'm reminded that my father was Jewish.
-Leon Trotsky
jazman

Post by jazman »

http://www.jewfaq.org/whoisjew.htm
Who Is a Jew?

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.

It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox. In this sense, Judaism is more like a nationality than like other religions, and being Jewish is like a citizenship. See What Is Judaism?

This has been established since the earliest days of Judaism. In the Torah, you will see many references to "the strangers who dwell among you" or "righteous proselytes" or "righteous strangers." These are various classifications of non-Jews who lived among Jews, adopting some or all of the beliefs and practices of Judaism without going through the formal process of conversion and becoming Jews. Once a person has converted to Judaism, he is not referred to by any special term; he is as much a Jew as anyone born Jewish.

I know you guys are afraid that if you agree it means you're a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews, but there it is. A man is born into it. Even if he rejects it lock, stock, and barrel, Jews say a man born a Jew is always a Jew. They have a phrase for Jews who reject Judaism: "self-loathing Jew."

BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

ORIGINAL: jazman

I know you guys are afraid that if you agree it means you're a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews, but there it is. A man is born into it. Even if he rejects it lock, stock, and barrel, Jews say a man born a Jew is always a Jew. They have a phrase for Jews who reject Judaism: "self-loathing Jew."
Self-loathing Jew is a term of your own creation. The 'self-hating Jew' has nothing to do with apostate Jews, the self-hatred may be found as much in practicing Jews as others. It is merely an absorbtion of the social values in which Jews might live, a religious/ethnic peg upon which to hang an underlying self-hatred or a willingness to self-criticise mistaken for self-hatred in people with less stable egos.

Can you explain how the religion of my grand parents shaped my nose?

I can. We are a semitic people from the middle east, brothers to other Arabs but by quirk of history, with a different religion.
-Leon Trotsky
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I'm reading an interesting book now called "Animals in the Third Reich" by Boria Sax. According to Sax, Hitler was a vegitarian and the Nazis actually had high regard for some animals, going so far as to issue laws against mistreating them. [X(]
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
I'm reading an interesting book now called "Animals in the Third Reich" by Boria Sax. According to Sax, Hitler was a vegitarian and the Nazis actually had high regard for some animals, going so far as to issue laws against mistreating them. [X(]

There you hint at a distinct feature of the Nazi regime: that of pursuing to divest their victims of the quality of being "human". That speaks volumes on the whole thing.

Regarding vegetarianism: I'm currently going the excellent "The Wages of Destruction" by A. Tooze and I couldn't help chuckling when reading how the Reich Agriculture ministry called for vegetarianism as an Aryan thing to influence the demand of pork and meat in general. The Reich trade balance suffered because the lack of fodder for farm animals! [X(]
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

This was before the war.

The Germans under Hitler made many reforms in the treatment of animals. The also made reforms about smoking in public and consumption of booze - ideas ahead of their time.

No one suggested their later human victims were less because of it.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: cavalry
This was before the war.

The Germans under Hitler made many reforms in the treatment of animals. The also made reforms about smoking in public and consumption of booze - ideas ahead of their time.

No one suggested their later human victims were less because of it.

The Nurembeg Laws were also before the war, and they exactly did that, to divest German Jews of their rights as German citizens. My observation above was an ironic remark about the Reich government being so concerned about animal rights and so little concerned about human rights.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

You are quite right I understand. It was a time full of the most bizarre contradictions.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”