Combat Results vs Predictions

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

MWadwell

RE: Combat Results vs Predictions

Post by MWadwell »

ORIGINAL: Dragoon
(SNIP)
The only issue I have noted and it got already Rudankort attention is that the number generator sometimes generates long sequences of similar results.
I had one freak accidents with 48 rolls in succession all between 3 and 29! After that I was considering tempering with my high resolution timer.
Of course I wouldn't have complaind if I had 48 rolls all between 71-97. [:D]

To be honest, I was playing a downloaded trial version of this game (version 1.0), and had a really bad string of luck against me (to the point where it wiped out my attacking force as a viable force).

This wouldn't be such a bad thing by itself, but as the random number generator doesn't re-seed during a re-load - I ended up getting exactly the same results when I tried the turn again.

I understand why you don't want to re-seed too often (as it promotes the save/reload "cheat") - but to essentially lose a campaign scenario due to a fixed "random" number generator has resulted in an incredible amount of frustration on my part.

My frustration level is so high, I will NOT be buying the game, and I will be going back to the original Panzer General. Dated as it is, it is a hell of a lot less frustrating (and so, more enjoyable) then this remake.

Sorry for the rant, but I just thought to provide some feedback on what has turned me off the game....

Later,
Matt
Birdmon

Post by Birdmon »

ORIGINAL: MWadwell

(SNIP)
The only issue I have noted and it got already Rudankort attention is that the number generator sometimes generates long sequences of similar results.
I had one freak accidents with 48 rolls in succession all between 3 and 29! After that I was considering tempering with my high resolution timer.

To be honest, I was playing a downloaded trial version of this game (version 1.0), and had a really bad string of luck against me (to the point where it wiped out my attacking force as a viable force).

This wouldn't be such a bad thing by itself, but as the random number generator doesn't re-seed during a re-load - I ended up getting exactly the same results when I tried the turn again.

I understand why you don't want to re-seed too often (as it promotes the save/reload "cheat") - but to essentially lose a campaign scenario due to a fixed "random" number generator has resulted in an incredible amount of frustration on my part.

My frustration level is so high, I will NOT be buying the game, and I will be going back to the original Panzer General. Dated as it is, it is a hell of a lot less frustrating (and so, more enjoyable) then this remake.

Sorry for the rant, but I just thought to provide some feedback on what has turned me off the game....

Later,
Matt

Matt, I too was angry at this issue but...you can change the reload, just move or attack with another unit first - not near the battle which caused a BS roll. Then come back and try after another move.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

There is no download trial version of the game 1.0. Where did you get this file?
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

(SNIP)

Later,
Matt

I think if you just change the order of your attacks you get different results so ou have some degree of 'do over'.
MWadwell

Post by MWadwell »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

There is no download trial version of the game 1.0. Where did you get this file?

Demonoid. At least I though it was a trial version (as it didn't ask for a serial code).

I've also downloaded the 1.04 patch - but was waiting to try the game before forking over the money for a serial code (I was going to buy it yesterday, but after the problem with the random number generator, I'm waiting to see what comes up on this forum first).

Later,
Matt
MWadwell

Post by MWadwell »

ORIGINAL: James Ward

(SNIP)

Later,
Matt

I think if you just change the order of your attacks you get different results so ou have some degree of 'do over'.

Not really - an example is the allies turn that wipes out my attacking force. Unless I redo my entire turn (as I only have autosaves at the start and end of the turn), then the allies will always have exactly the same results.

And if I alter my attacks (i.e. skipping one, or doing one extra) knowing what some of the numbers that are coming up, then that too is a form of cheating.

I understand why the limited re-seeding of the random number generator was done, but (IMHO) I think it might have been changed a bit too far....

Later,
Matt
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: James Ward

Later,
Matt

Not really - an example is the allies turn that wipes out my attacking force. Unless I redo my entire turn (as I only have autosaves at the start and end of the turn), then the allies will always have exactly the same results.

And if I alter my attacks (i.e. skipping one, or doing one extra) knowing what some of the numbers that are coming up, then that too is a form of cheating.

I understand why the limited re-seeding of the random number generator was done, but (IMHO) I think it might have been changed a bit too far....

Later,
Matt

Yes the AI seems to always attack in the same order so on it's turn there isn't much to be done. I generally don't pay attention to the results predictor but I will occasionally go back and re-do a turn if I roll 'snake eyes' 6 times in a row. That seems to be a little more than bad luck.
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Demonoid. At least I though it was a trial version (as it didn't ask for a serial code).

I've also downloaded the 1.04 patch - but was waiting to try the game before forking over the money for a serial code (I was going to buy it yesterday, but after the problem with the random number generator, I'm waiting to see what comes up on this forum first).

Later,
Matt

No, you are playing a pirated version, most probably even an early Beta version, that makes for me at least all your comments totally unreliable, as you play an illegal and outdated pirated version.
The 22nd of November we release the first official demo, download and try that.

Feedback needs to be based on the latest version as it makes any discussion irrelevant and outdated right from the start. The game has undergone continuous support, patching and so many balance changes. We cannot spend time and support on pirated, outdated, illegal copies.

MWadwell

Post by MWadwell »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

Later,
Matt

No, you are playing a pirated version, most probably even an early Beta version, that makes for me at least all your comments totally unreliable, as you play an illegal and outdated pirated version.
The 22nd of November we release the first official demo, download and try that.

Feedback needs to be based on the latest version as it makes any discussion irrelevant and outdated right from the start. The game has undergone continuous support, patching and so many balance changes. We cannot spend time and support on pirated, outdated, illegal copies.

The version I was playing is listed as version 1.0 and dated 4 July 2011.

And just to confirm (as I'm confused by your use of past/present tense), you are releasing an official demo tomorrow the 22nd of November (as here in Sdney Australia, it is currently 05:00 21 November). Correct?

Later,
Matt
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

And just to confirm (as I'm confused by your use of past/present tense), you are releasing an official demo tomorrow the 22nd of November (as here in Sdney Australia, it is currently 05:00 21 November). Correct?
GMT time. And probably not at 00.00 GMT of that day.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes the version you have is pirated of course. Nobody gives away full free copies of the game for trial without any reason or way to purchase them. Are you saying you didn't relaise it was pirated when you downloaded it from a torrent site? If you are not a pirate I expect you to immediately buy the game now you know your mistake.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
misesfan

Post by misesfan »

As the kids would say nowadays....lolz - pwnage.
MWadwell

Post by MWadwell »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Yes the version you have is pirated of course. Nobody gives away full free copies of the game for trial without any reason or way to purchase them. Are you saying you didn't relaise it was pirated when you downloaded it from a torrent site? If you are not a pirate I expect you to immediately buy the game now you know your mistake.

Regarding knowing that the game was pirated - I would have to have "testicular fortitude" the size of coconuts to go to the developers site and complain, knowing that the game I was playing was pirated.....

Similarly, in almost every single post I have made, I have made reference to the fact that until the game pi**ed me off at the start of the norway campaign, I was going to buy it. (And by "going", as in the last day I played and got frustrated, was going to be the day that I went online and bought it - at $42AUD via your website, which is where I found this forum.)

And as buying it now, I'm in two minds. One one hand I want to support you, as I admire your effort in producing a version of what was my favourite in the 1990's.

On the other hand I don't want to waste my money on a game that produces little enjoyment (at the moment). I'm in the middle of my shift cycle at the moment (and so haven't had an opporunity to play the game since it last pi**ed me off), so I will wait and see if I feel like playing it again in a few days (when I have some free time), and if I feel like playing then I'll happily pay. Of course, if you don't hear from me again (or one of my posts get deleted again by "Lord Zimoa" as irrelevant) then that will mean that I am unhappy with the game.....

EDIT: I've just purchased the game, as even though I might not want to continue to play the game, I feel that the effort Matrix has put into it should be recognised....

Later,
Matt
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

On the other hand I don't want to waste my money on a game that produces little enjoyment (at the moment). I'm in the middle of my shift cycle at the moment (and so haven't had an opporunity to play the game since it last pi**ed me off), so I will wait and see if I feel like playing it again in a few days (when I have some free time), and if I feel like playing then I'll happily pay. Of course, if you don't hear from me again (or one of my posts get deleted again by "Lord Zimoa" as irrelevant) then that will mean that I am unhappy with the game.....

Later,
Matt

Shouldn't you delete the game immediately from your harddrive, knowing now that you have a pirated copy? [&:]
MWadwell

Post by MWadwell »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Later,
Matt

Shouldn't you delete the game immediately from your harddrive, knowing now that you have a pirated copy? [&:]

I had already stopped playing, but I did send a PM to Iain McNeil with a link to the torrent (so that he could send a "Cease and Desist" if he wanted to).

However, I've just purchased the game (even though I'm uncertain if I'll continue to play Panzer Corps) - as I appreciate the effort that Matrix has put into the game, and feel that it should be recognised.....

Later,
Matt
MWadwell

Post by MWadwell »

ORIGINAL: pwieland

As the kids would say nowadays....lolz - pwnage.

I'm too old to know what that means..... [:)]

Later,
Matt
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Thanks for your support. I would suggest you entirely scan your system as torrent sites are notorious for infecting your machines with malware, spyware and vairous other very unpleasant things. Never ever download installer from torrent sites. You might as well just give you post all your personal and credit card details to the web.

This thread is now locked.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “Panzer Corps”