Save game function?

Unity of Command lets you replay the epic conflict that was the Stalingrad Campaign of World War II. In this turn-based game of strategy and cunning, observe how opportunity leads the German army to advance recklessly into the steppes of southern Russia. And as the story unfolds, join the Soviet campaign to repel the invaders... As these legendary battles play out on the hex board, the tension of decision making and difficulties of conducting operations on a massive scale emerge. Command armies and fronts in maneuver warfare, thrust and encircle, capture cities and cross continents; but never, ever forget to watch your supply lines. The Red Turn expansion ads a gigantic Soviet expansion centered on the Kursk campaign.

Moderators: 2xPelin, 2xTom

stormbringer3

Save game function?

Post by stormbringer3 »

There was a posting on the Unity of Command forum implying that the game didn't have a save game function. Since it's late over there and might not get answered until "tomorrow," I thought I'd ask on this forum if there is a save game function.
Thanks.
2xTom

RE: Save game function?

Post by 2xTom »

Campaign games are autosaved. You can restart the campaign, but only from the beginning of a scenario (any scenario).

If you play an individual scenario game, you can save and reload at any time.
Tomislav Uzelac
Unity of Command Lead Developer
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Thanks.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

If you play an individual scenario game, you can save and reload at any time.

You should be able to do this during campaign senarios as well...I for one jump in and out of games and sometimes cannot just sit and play an entire scenario through in one gaming session...
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

If you are playing a campaign game can you save mid scenario a pick up from there.

It sounds from the above that if you are playing a campaign each scenario acts as a "checkpoint" and you have to play through to the end of each (be it 30 mins or 3 hours of game time) or lose any progress made i.e. if you cant complete a scenario in one sitting you may as well not have started playing it.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
2xTom

Post by 2xTom »

No... you don't have to play in one sitting, you just cannot save manually (in campaign game).

You can enter and exit at any time, but the campaign game is autosaved and you don't even have the save option in the menu.
Tomislav Uzelac
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

That's fine...at least I know now that I will not be picking this game up...thanks for the heads up....
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Just to be clear, could you do this:

You are playing the 3rd scenario of the campaign, you get to turn 2, real life intrudes, you quit the game. Next time you start up the game and select to play the campaign you start at the same point (or do you start at the beginning of) of turn 2 of scenario 3 of the campaign ?
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
2xTom

Post by 2xTom »

You start at the same point (i.e. turn 2, you do NOT have to play the scenario from the beginning).
Tomislav Uzelac
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

That's what I was hoping, thanks for the quick reply. I'm now getting close to purchasing.*

P.S. J P Falcon if your concern was the same as mine this game might be worth a second look.

* I've recently been hugely disappointed with a pre-order of a new space 4X which has made me a lot less willing to buy on day one of release, and definitely not before that.
nenad

Post by nenad »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Just to be clear, could you do this:

You are playing the 3rd scenario of the campaign, you get to turn 2, real life intrudes, you quit the game. Next time you start up the game and select to play the campaign you start at the same point (or do you start at the beginning of) of turn 2 of scenario 3 of the campaign ?

Let me try to be even more clear. You can safely leave the campaign at any time during the scenario. Next time you revisit the campaign you start exactly where you left off. Same turn, same action. This is true even if you directly shut down the game by closing the application window in the middle of a turn. Your exact position inside the campaign/scenario is always "magically" preserved.

On top of that you can roll back the campaign at any time to the beginning of any previously played scenarios.

It's all really rather convenient however it may sound strange at first.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

ORIGINAL: 2xTom

You start at the same point (i.e. turn 2, you do NOT have to play the scenario from the beginning).

Ok...If during the campaign it auto saves at the beginning of each turn in the scenario then that is good enough for me...thanks for the clarification
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Ok...If during the campaign it auto saves at the beginning of each turn in the scenario then that is good enough for me...thanks for the clarification

Just had to ask....what was the reason for not allowing saving at any point? It sounds like the save system might be Ok, just not sure I have heard of before not being able to save when I want. Thanks.
tgb

Post by tgb »

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Just had to ask....what was the reason for not allowing saving at any point? It sounds like the save system might be Ok, just not sure I have heard of before not being able to save when I want. Thanks.

I think it's to prevent players who screw up from going back 3 or 4 moves. And Wolfe, I bought that same 4X game - you have nothing to worry about. This is a far,far, more solid release.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I can see where that would be a concern for multiplayer games............
nenad

Post by nenad »

ORIGINAL: tgb
I think it's to prevent players who screw up from going back 3 or 4 moves. And Wolfe, I bought that same 4X game - you have nothing to worry about. This is a far,far, more solid release.

Yep, it's done precisely for that reason - to prevent repeated loading in wait of favorable rolls. We wanted the scenarios to be played in one go. Note that this doesn't mean in one sitting as the game is autosaved if you exit the scenario/campaign/game as already described.

And to repeat: Single scenarios can be saved and loaded manually as you're accustomed to.

In multiplayer, the complete game state is held on the server at all times.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Then that's even better as it will auto save at any point in the campaign scenario when you close the game. Now it is a definite purchase!
nenad

Post by nenad »

Then that's even better as it will auto save at any point in the campaign scenario when you close the game.

Yes! You don't ever have to worry about saving when playing the campaign scenarios as this is done automatically for you whenever you cease to play (i.e. exit to main menu, campaign map or OS). When you pick it up in the next sitting you just seamlessly continue where you last left it.
terrymagic

Post by terrymagic »

IMHO this game can be ported to iOS / any kind of tablet easily ? since it has that kind of mechanics necessary... too bad I gave first review of 4stars on gamersgate because there wasn't save button and of wrong genre as strategy game rather than wargame... but I bought this game because I just knew that this is a good game from the first sight and also because I know the developers work and they can't be releasing beta products :D

@ tgb and wolfe : I have got into nightmare of buying beta games ( pre order ) of WWII games and Roman history games from that Publisher ( twice lol ) since then I won't buy any beta from them and wait patiently for it to get fix first then buy after.

magic
mbar

Post by mbar »

Question about auto saving. When a turn begins can you issue orders, quit the game, and the orders get saved prior to pushing end turn?

Return to “Unity of Command Series”