Old WitP Player New to Forum.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Redsunrizing

Old WitP Player New to Forum.

Post by Redsunrizing »

Greetings fellow War in the Pacific addicts, I have given up normal life and joined the War in the Pacific, Admirals Edition forum. I have had Admirals Edition since the week it came out, and have been slowly learning the game since then.

I have just this last weekend finished the full grand campaign two against the computer, and held the Allied AI off with no problems. I will admit that it has taken many, many restarts before I achieved this feat. But I now consider that I am ready for a human opponent of similar ability to me.

My concern is that my last experience of E-mail play was not good, and had put me off this option till now. I attempted to start an E-mail campaign as the Allies on the old War in the Pacific forum several years ago, on an old, and forgotten login name.

But the opponent that I found then was an odd fellow, and basically strung me along for some months without ever sending me the first turn. What I ask is there still any off this type person active on this forum. Also are there any tips, on how to spot this type of person before taking them as an opponent.

Thanks Paul.
Chickenboy

RE: Old WitP Player New to Forum.

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Redsunrizing
But the opponent that I found then was an odd fellow, and basically strung me along for some months without ever sending me the first turn. What I ask is there still any off this type person active on this forum. Also are there any tips, on how to spot this type of person before taking them as an opponent.

Thanks Paul.
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, there are some of those people active on this forum. While us old guys know who they are and sound them out, sometimes they can sneak by. Also, there are some long-term respected players that just, for whatever reason, don't finish a game.

I would advise you to participate in the forums for some time and identify those players that have been here before selecting a partner. By following the forums you can gauge the tenor and demeanor of the language that your prospective partner uses. Otherwise, you can take a roll of the dice and get someone who isn't a regular forumite.

Just out of curiosity, Paul, where are you from? Some players like gamers from their same time zones for increased likelihood of turning multiple turns in the same day.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

And perhaps play a short scenario vs a new opponent so that you both can gauge each others level of commitment and compatibility.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Greetings! Congratulations on finishing your campaign game, "that ain't hay" as they say!

Sorry to hear about your aborted foray into PBM. Some matches disintegrate for various reasons, but what you describe is unconscionable.

The best advice I have is to try and stick to someone who you have seen on the forums a bunch, or know through other channels, and have a pretty good feeling about. And when you go through discussions to agree on terms, HRs, etc. - do you get a good feeling then? Does the potential opponent have a good history with PBMs? AARs on this forum can be helpful, but of course most players do not write AARs, so maybe knowing what other players the opponent played would be helpful.

Good luck!
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Maybe there should be a list of dedicated players -these players can only be recommended by other players.

All my PBEM opponesnt have given up sooner or later - mostly I must say for fairly valid reasons.

BUT depite that I would rather that than play the AI .

Cav
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Welcome Redsunrizing.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: cavalry
Maybe there should be a list of dedicated players -these players can only be recommended by other players.
Cav

Been tried; doesn't work; isn't worth the angst it usually creates.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Welcome Paul - Taking the PBEM plunge is definitely worth the risk of stumbling across the odd non-player. The advice offered above is good. I would also recommend talking to potential opponents on the telephone to discuss house rules, game preferences, etc. A little non-cyber space contact should help you find a like-minded opponent.

Regards, the Other Paul
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Making human contact is always a good thing with PBEM. Every opponent I've had I would consider a personal friend now and welcome getting to know them.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Redsunrizing

Post by Redsunrizing »

Thanks for your fine tips, and advice fellows. You have swayed me to take the plunge again, and I will post for an E-mail opponent.

Paul.
Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Good luck with your PBEM , if you get a good opponent the game is transformed into uber-goodness :)

As for finding one , small scenario first is a good idea , the 1000 mile war is quick and you'll get a idea of each others turn around time and e-mail arrival time etc. As for time zones , I've had no problems with any time zone if you do 1 turn a day , for faster play then similar times do matter. I'd also highly reccomend you play 2 day turns in PBEM too, you might actually finish a game then [;)]

Good luck and above all have fun
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Me and Rader, despite being on different time zones (Canada-Europe) are managing to do an average of 3/4 turns per day...you just have to sleep a bit less than normal[:)]

Welcome to the forum!!! It's a wonderful place to be and a great community to belong to!

And, the Pbem, is clearly the way to go!

Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Hello, Redsunrizing.

I'm like you in that I've played WitP and WitPAE for years, but only recently begun to post regularly in the forums.  Nice, smart bunch of guys here, and one of the best behaved and well-policed forums I've visited.

I've been told that all the habits and strategies you develop playing successfully against the AI will only invite pain and embarrassment in PBEM, so good luck with that and tell us how it goes!   [:D]
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

PBEM is the way to go :-).. You just need a little luck in finding a good and reliable opponent..
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
jeffs

Post by jeffs »

I have the honor of being his opponent.[:)]

Hopefully....I will be able to be a small level above IA in frustrating the evil empire!![&:]

And I will play to the bitterest of ends.[:D]
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Redsunrizing

Post by Redsunrizing »

No it is my honor to have jeffs as opponent.[:)]

But having said that, I will grind his early Allied forces into the dust.

Then hold his reinforcements to a ignominious stalemate, by turning his plans and schemes into tatters

[:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Them sounds like fightin' words!

Good luck, guys! [8D]
jeffs

Post by jeffs »

I have admit...I have not done scen 2 before so I am leery of the additional imperial forces[X(]....

that said....just some more stuff to kill![:D]
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Freedom205

Post by Freedom205 »

Finding a dedicated adversary is quite a task. it always helps to know someone who plays ( even if theirn plate is full ) as they should be able to tell you who they play that is reliable. I can say this, you will figure out pretty quick if they are dedicated or not. After the opening turns if it takes 4 to 5 days to get a return turn then you are best to look for someone else unless you like that kind of slow pace.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Wow it certainly does sound like fighting words from our newby, Jeffs it looks like you have a "Titanic" struggle on you hands. And it will take more than picking your teeth to win this one! Good luck and keep us posted. Hal

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”